Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    I would love to ride Saturday, but I have GOT to do yard work this weekend. I've neglected my yard all summer, and I need to take care of it before the really cold weather sets in. Darn it--I hate having to be responsible!
    I totally hear you. I spent last weekend doing the front yard, and I'm afraid to tackle the back yard - there's just so much to do, it's overwhelming. (aside: Do you think it's too late to put down Milky Spore for the Japanese Beetles?) So...I avoid it and go bike riding!

Actually, an a.m. ride would be great as you'll have the rest of the day to do the yard work. A bike ride is good to clear the mind and put you in a yard frame of mind. At least, that's what I tell myself! Join us!

Do you want to meet at 8:30? At Riley's Lock or at the plaza at Darnestown and Muddy Branch Rds?

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    Actually, an a.m. ride would be great as you'll have the rest of the day to do the yard work.
    Yeah, well, it wouldn't work quite like that for me. What would happen is I'd get home from the ride, take a shower, have lunch, lie down on the couch to read the paper, fall asleep or get hooked on a What Not to Wear marathon, decide that it's too late to get started on the yard, and end up doing nothing. Again.

Nope, I'm going to get up bright and early Saturday and tackle those weeds and dead tree limbs! Have a nice ride.

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    Yeah, well, it wouldn't work quite like that for me. What would happen is I'd get home from the ride, take a shower, have lunch, lie down on the couch to read the paper, fall asleep or get hooked on a What Not to Wear marathon, decide that it's too late to get started on the yard, and end up doing nothing. Again.
    Ha! That's me almost exactly! That's part of why I usually ride later in the day.

There's now a chance of rain Saturday morning. At this point, I want to ride. If the weather Saturday morning is windy &/or rainy, though, I'm gonna bag it. Regina, should we trade e-mails or phone calls Friday night or Saturday morning to confirm the ride?
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    Ha! That's me almost exactly! That's part of why I usually ride later in the day.

There's now a chance of rain Saturday morning. At this point, I want to ride. If the weather Saturday morning is windy &/or rainy, though, I'm gonna bag it. Regina, should we trade e-mails or phone calls Friday night or Saturday morning to confirm the ride?
    Yeah....that's why my yard looks like such a mess, too!
    "Ride early so you have the rest of the day to get everything else done" works fine in theory. It's the practice part that is hard! The pull of the couch after a ride can sometimes be overwhelming!

Yuck, I saw the weekend forecast. Saturday a.m.'s not looking good.
    Kali, I'll PM you my cell number and email (I'll likely have the cell on vs. checking email Saturday a.m.).
    Edit: Whoops.. Can't PM you Kali, it won't let me. Options?
    Last edited by 7rider; 10-26-2006 at 09:50 AM.

Geeez, that is where my friend and I ride. That is her favorite ride. This weekend we are doing the Onancock Virginia "Between the Waters" ride,
    20,35,62,100 you choose. We may get severly rained out. If so, we head back home on Sat. AM and go out around Darnstown and Poolsville on Sunday. Last week we did the capitol cressant trail and rock creek park trail to Georgetown then back up the trail from Georgetown to Bethesda. Nice ride but very crowded. Went slow because of so many people and unsafe riders. I am new to this but she has been a great mentor. I just love it, love it, love it. Yum, yum, yum. The River road ride with the hill, I've heard of it. We did one like that to McAuther Blvd with a shorter hill on the return. not too bad.

Regina, I just e-mailed you via the forum.

Jen, since you've ridden over there, you'll have to join us sometime. If, of course, the weather lets us schedule a ride any time soon...
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."

No! Don't tell me about the weather. I bought some tights today and decided to give Saturday a shot since Sunday looks like it'll be too complicated. Boo. I don't have rain gear.. or particularly like 40 degree rain.

Here's the hourly prediction for Saturday morning from Accuweather: Gaithersburg. Apparently, as of now, they're predicting the rain will be over by 1 in the afternoon.

Regina, I got your e-mail and at this point, I'm definitely saying no to a morning ride. Do you (or anyone else) want to ride in the afternoon, or will there be too much traffic on the roads by then? If this road ride doesn't happen, I'll probably head out to Hancock and ride the Western Maryland Rail-Trail in the afternoon. I haven't been on the bike since my GAPt ride last Thursday, and withdrawal is setting in!

What is the Western Maryland Rail Trail like? I think I saw something for that in one of the books. How long is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    What is the Western Maryland Rail Trail like? I think I saw something for that in one of the books. How long is it?
    The WMRT is a great trail (if you like flat surfaces). It's 22.5 miles and parallels the C&O Canal towpath from near Fort Frederick, through Hancock, and out to Pearree, MD. It's really beautiful out there. My goal for this year was to be able to ride the entire trail round-trip. Since I hit 37 miles on my GAP trail ride last week, I'm thinking I could hit that goal this weekend, provided the weather (and my own laziness) lets me get an early enough start.

If I don't do the road ride or the WMRT tomorrow, the other option I was considering is to head down to Purcellville, VA and head east on the W&OD trail. It's also a paved rail-trail, but has some long, mildly graded hills and more exposure to wind.

Ugh, I'm now realizing that in addition to cleaning my bike, I should probably put the smoother tires back on since I'm planning to ride pavement this weekend. Guess I know how I'm spending my Friday night...
    Last edited by Kalidurga; 10-27-2006 at 04:24 AM.

Hey folks.
    Yeah, Looks like a Saturday a.m. ride is a none-starter.
    Bummer.
    I can't ride later in the day and I've got plans on Sunday.
    You're more ambitious than I, Kali, as you're planning on trucking somewhere anyway. I'm not looking forward to yardwork in the rain. Looks like an errand and shopping day instead!

Tomorrow AM, diffinately rain, maybe alot. Wind too. Sunday, sunny but very windy, 20 -30 MPH. That is too much. For your ride on the C&0 Canal, don't you need an all terrain bike or mountain? That is gravel, not road bike terrain. My riding buddy and I are considering buying a bikes for the canal ride. Great place to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    For your ride on the C&0 Canal, don't you need an all terrain bike or mountain? That is gravel, not road bike terrain. My riding buddy and I are considering buying a bikes for the canal ride. Great place to ride.
    Yeah, the C&O is an awesome place to ride and definitely one of my favorite routes. I'd recommend a wide, semi-knobby tire bike because of the crushed stone, tree roots and mud, but I have seen thru-riders (folks riding the entire towpath and camping along the way) doing it with thin, smooth tires on what appeared to be road bikes. I've even seen a thru-rider on a recumbent. Depends on how much of a masochist you are, I guess My 'cross bike has been great on the towpath this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina
    You're more ambitious than I, Kali, as you're planning on trucking somewhere anyway. I'm not looking forward to yardwork in the rain. Looks like an errand and shopping day instead!
    Sorry, Regina. Let's keep watching the weather on upcoming weekends, though, cause I'd really like to get out and do some road riding with you. As for my ambition, well... My ambition to get out and play is, unfortunately, such that my apartment has been only halfway re-painted for over a year now. At least you're planning on using a crappy weather day to do necessary stuff!

Hi,

If you want to do this ride next weekend I can probably join you. At the moment either day could work.

Nicole
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

I wound up going out today, because it was so warm this morning. Not a very long ride because I waffled about doing it for a while since it was dark so late this morning. But I did whirl around Mt. Vernon trail for a while. A few packs of runners but a very quiet trail for once. Kind of gross with the puddles and no fenders but much better than my original Rock Creek plan would've been. Decent workout and I'm getting better in traffic..had to deal with some road construction on M. My stops and starts are much improved. I still put it in a pretty low gear unless I'm racing to make a green (love those counters on the crosswalk signs) just in case.

I haven't ridden enough in the past few weeks though and it was hard to keep spinning smoothly on the smallest "hills" in a decent gear. But at least I got out there today. I'd like to meet up for a real country road ride if I can make it out to where y'all are (on time and the not getting lost thing) some weekend.