Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Need to shrink a sweater

To disable ads, please log-in.

Can anyone tell me how to shrink (not just block but really shrink) a wool sweater so that it is less baggy, but still just as long in the body and sleeves?

My favorite sweater is now way too big around. (it's an XL, and these days i really need a M) But the length is perfect.

Should I just wash it and throw it in the dryer? Pull on the body and sleeves every so often as it tumble-dries so they don't shrink lengthwise?

Seems like I've gone through life trying NOT to shrink wool stuff, and now I need to know how to really do it!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

KNY,

I don't think you can selectfully "shrink" wool -- if you shrink it a significant amount, it will become "felt." And that's just not the same fabric at all!

Maybe someone else has better advice. If not, you could either keep the sweater as a reminder of good days gone by, or pass it on to a friend that would appreciate such a gift.

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Knot-wool felts. Do not dry a wool sweater. If blocking is out, then I suggest keeping it as a memory and a nice cozy sweater for around the house or pass it on.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Seems to me that things that have gotten inadvertently shrunk in our dryer shrunk in the length but not so much in the width, so that does not bode well for your project. On the other hand, the things I'm talking about were cotton, not wool. Some wool items are made to be machine-washed and dried, but not all, so check the care label first. The intermittent tugging thing might work, or it might not. I'd go with BikingMom's idea if I were you.
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

I must pipe in here, It will get SHORTER!! I promise!!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Um... what is "blocking"?

Blocking: I wash a wool thing (like a sweater I've just knitted) and then lay it out on a towel to dry. While it's on the towel you adjust it so that it has the shape you want. Let it dry in that shape and it will hold that shape pretty well.

Works nicely for evening out those little knitting oopsies (like stitch tension, which I do a fine job of, but sometimes I'll have a loose or tight one here and there) or restoring the "spring" of ribbing on a sweater that's been worn a lot.

But it's not adjustable enough to shrink a sweater down 2 sizes, when I do it it's more for adjusting the shape or hang of something wool.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I did a no-no.

Washed the sweater, then ran it through the dryer.

It didn't shrink much at all, but my oh my did it ever felt! Extra cozy now!

I'm pretty happy with it as it is, I'll stop messing with it. (smells all nice and clean now, too. I washed it in Dr. Bronner's lavendar soap.)

My approach to wool is to visit the Goodwill and buy wool shirts. Cheap and more practical than sweaters, since you can wear them open and take them on and off easily. Important for me, since my body temperature doesn't stay constant for more than 10 minutes. I do spend money on Smartwool socks.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

before i knew much about wool i had a big oops.

BF has a bunch of wool shirts and when i firt moved here i threw them in the wash and drier like anything thing else... didn't work so good. he wasn't happy about it (and still gives me a hard time), but i got some nice shirts out of it. so i think it worked out ok.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.