Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Spinning shoe fit

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi, this might be a common question, but it's new to me so I thought I'd ask. I recently bought my first pair of spinning shoes and each time I've worn them, my toes have gone really numb. I've tried adjusting the straps, but that doesn't seem to help. Could it be the placement of the cleats and how do I determine what adjustment needs to be made?

Quote Originally Posted by limeygirlny View Post
    Hi, this might be a common question, but it's new to me so I thought I'd ask. I recently bought my first pair of spinning shoes and each time I've worn them, my toes have gone really numb. I've tried adjusting the straps, but that doesn't seem to help. Could it be the placement of the cleats and how do I determine what adjustment needs to be made?
    That's pretty common. Try moving the cleats back farther towards the arch. A good rule is to try to have the cleats such that the ball of your foot (measured at your first metatarsal joint) is around 5-8mm (or more if you have large feet) behind the pedal axle. This may vary from bike to bike so you may want to try to use the same bike each time.

If that doesn't help, then it could just be a symptom from the small surface area of the cleats on spin bikes. You can try using some different insoles, thinner socks, loosening the straps at the mid and forefoot, and paying attention that you don't curl or otherwise clench your toes when you pedal to try to minimize discomfort.