Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Cool Making my own spin bike?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi everyone!

I just discovered this forum and got so excited because I am trying to figure out how to make my road bike into an appropriate spin bike. I live in Maine and this bike just can't take the weather so I'll be switching to a more rugged bike for the winter.

So my bicycle has 27" tires, a drop frame. Not sure what other info you might need since I really have no clue about this. I used to go to spin classes years ago but have stopped since I got rid of my car and didn't need as much exercise! What kinds of equipment would I need to do this inexpensively but still safely (for my back!).

I hope someone can offer some advice. Thanks so much!

Annette

Maybe you'd like a trainer you can put your bike in? I like the minoura 500d mag trainer. Google shows it well:
    http://www.google.com/products?sourc...=1&sa=N&tab=wf

Smile trainer!

Hi there-

thanks for replying- those look really good and affordable! And LLbean offers one for sale. I'll wait to see what other people advise and see how quickly I can get one delivered. Thanks! Annette

You can purchase a good refurbished spinning bike (at half the cost) from Billy Garcia at innercycling.com (he sells on eBay too). Not sure if that's an option, but I thought I'd throw that out there.
    The Journey is the Reward.

You should realize that a road bike on a trainer feels very different than a spin bike.

The road bike will not feel as stable, especially when standing. You will have to shift to change resistance.

Personally I prefer the feel of a road bike on a trainer though. It makes it easier to pretend I'm doing something fun , and I also like having some objective measure of my effort (gear combination and what my computer says).

I guess new fancy spin bikes give you all sorts of data, but the crappy old spin bikes at my university gym don't have computers and they just have an unmarked resistance knob. Makes me crazy not to be able to measure and compare my workout.

Also, your bike fits you (presumably). Again, I'm sure this depends on the sophistication of the spin bike, but the crappy old bikes at my gym... the saddle height adjustment is by peg-in-hole method (like lots of cybex type machines), and the holes are maybe half an inch apart. That's a huge height difference! I can never get the right height, and since I hate the feeling of a saddle that's too low, I usually end up with too high -- which can get painful after a while. The fore-aft is infinite, but frankly if I had to choose, I'd reverse this -- it's much easier to deal with fore aft that's 1/4 inch off than height that's 1/4 of inch off (for me anyway).

My two cents . I'd go with the trainer.
    Last edited by VeloVT; 09-29-2008 at 07:43 PM.

If anyone lives near me I have two Reebok spin bikes to give away.
    They're taking up space i need for real bikes
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

reebok spin bikes

Hi- wondering your location? let me know - i guess its obvious but i live in maine (southern maine- portland to be exact!)

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    If anyone lives near me I have two Reebok spin bikes to give away.
    They're taking up space i need for real bikes
    Anywhere near Michigan? If so, I'm interested

Maryland

Maryland
    Hrm.

I'm in Maryland, it's never occured to me to want spin bikes.

But I am highly suscceptible to suggestion.

I could throw in a weight bench too...
    Bring a truck and a strong friend

I could throw in a weight bench too...
    Bring a truck and a strong friend

Hrm. I have 2 station wagons, think they'll fit in the back of a station wagon?

If you have a strong friend

Zen,
    hhmmm....I have a pick up truck, price of fuel is down at the moment..i'm thinking ROAD TRIP if no one claims them!

Quote Originally Posted by shellyj View Post
    Zen,
    hhmmm....I have a pick up truck, price of fuel is down at the moment..i'm thinking ROAD TRIP if no one claims them!

I better decide quick!