Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: loose screw...

loose screw...

To disable ads, please log-in.

ok, technically it's not loose but it did get your attention didn't it?

I have had 2 ACL reconstructions on the same knee, the last one being about 5 years ago. Well, the anchor screw is slowly backing itself out of the bone (this is not totally unusual and the Dr mentioned it at the time of surg) and I've put up with it for a long time. Just as an aside, there are two other screws but they were I guess placed such that the bone forms over them. Anyway, it has gotten progressively more noticeable, and is now probably 1/4-1/2 of an inch or so out. I know that sounds kind of scary/gross, and well it is.

It's also really easy to bruise, and I am thinking its time to get it taken out, during November or December (seems better than say, May).

But I am having fears about this. It took a long time to get things healed up again and I just don't want to mess with it. What if the bone actually wants it there (even tho I think it doesn't since it's forcing it out)? I was under general for the surgeries and this would probably be only local or whatever, and I don't know how I'll deal with that aspect, too.

Has anyone who's gotten hardware had to get it taken out later? Did it go ok? Regrets, words of advice?

My husband has one too. I can't figure out why he can't just have it taken out!
    (he's chicken!)

The doctor said it's an 'in office' procedure, no big deal. Imagine that it's just a splinter under your skin. they make a tiny incision and take it out!
    then you heal over and dont have the dumb bump anymore.

good luck
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Having the pins from my arm taken out was a piece of cake. As mimitabby said, just a tiny cut, and they take it out. Mine were screwed into the bone, and had only been in there for 4 weeks. Honestly the worst part of it was that there was a very small amount of blood, and it dribbled past the freezing....and that just felt weird!! Nothing hurt, and I didn't watch any of it.

Don't be worried! If your orthopedic surgeon says it's a good idea to remove it, then the bone won't miss it at all! And the procedure is easy.

Namaste,
    ~T~
    The butterflies are within you.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsiechick/

Buy my photos: http://www.picsiechick.com