Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

my non-race report

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just wasn't in the mood to race today. Not sure why, because I went through all my pre-race rituals last night (cleaned bike, packed bag, printed directions). I got a great night's sleep and I'm feeling good. But when the alarm went off at 6:00 I just didn't feel like racing. None of my teammates were planning to race today, so it was just going to be me. I tried to go back to sleep but I wasn't tired, so I just got up and jumped into the day.

I spent the day like a normal person (ie someone who doesn't race bikes). I sometimes forget what that's like since I'm committed almost every Saturday and Sunday throughout the year. I futzed around the house, did some work on my patio, ran errands (on the bike), sat on the patio in the sun and finished some velobeads orders, and futzed around some more.

I have a puppy. She's 3, but she's still my puppy. I've got a crate on my Rivendell so she can ride with me. We did something new today (instead of just going to the park). We rode over to the bay, made a brief stop at the dog park, and then rode around on the bay trail for a while. At one point, I let her down to run while I rode. And then we went to a big park to chase squirrels. It was the longest ride we've done together (about 8 miles) and she loved it! I loved it, too.

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    One of the first things I did after I was "done" with all the big distance training late this summer was go to the farmers' market. What a treat! It had been going on all summer and I could never go because I was always riding, riding, riding on Saturdays.

So I know what you mean by spending the day like a normal person (though I do not race, so I suspect that the "pressure" you feel--for lack of a better word--was tougher than the self-induced pressure I felt). I found I really like having "normal" Saturdays (where I could go for a shorter ride later, if I felt like it). I'm just sorry I missed so many of the spring and early summer vegetables!

Sounds like you had a great day, Lorri.
    ~Kim
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

That is one of the down sides of racing (competition). You more or less commit yourself to spent a load of hours into it to be at a competitive level. It's fun, otherwise we wouldn't do it but you have to make choices (time-wise).

Then these simple things like going out shopping with friends 'just for fun', spending a whole day with the dog on the beach and many other fun things are often first on the list to no longer have time for. And then when you do find the time it is a treat to do that.

Over the next 2 months I am more or less forced (due to personal circumstances) to stay off the bike. But I don't complain there is so much to do (and it is winter anyhow), I am making a list of things I want to do which I missed out because of all the bike-time I used up the last 8 months.
    My new baby for 2007

Mimosa, that's so true. In addition to racing myself, I have to add in my coaching schedule and *blammo* -- every single weekend day of the year is pretty much filled. I guess racing cross doesn't help since that fills my calendar 12 months of the year. But, if I didn't love it I wouldn't do it.

Lorri - do you have a doggie crate on your bike or do you tow it? We need pictures!

Yellow - aren't farmer's markets great! I've been going to a couple of different ones all summer, pretty much every Sunday. One of ours even has a fresh fish guy.

My Saturday was not my "norm". I drove SAG support for my bike club's academy graduation. I need to go through my pictures and get them posted.

Quote Originally Posted by velogirl View Post
    Mimosa, that's so true. In addition to racing myself, I have to add in my coaching schedule and *blammo* -- every single weekend day of the year is pretty much filled. I guess racing cross doesn't help since that fills my calendar 12 months of the year. But, if I didn't love it I wouldn't do it.
    That's correct you also have the coaching and cross. You must really be cycling mad

Next season '07-'08 I want to take up track racing at the velodrome. Finally I live near one and I want to learn how to ride it. It's been a wish I had since I first saw those boys and girls riding that ring (it's so spectacular). And they are starting up programs to stimulate women/girls to ride track, for the first time they even had womens races during the big multi day track events.
    But the velodrome is only open during wintertime. That means that I will indeed spend 12 months a year doing races ... I must be utterly mad to even think about it.
    My new baby for 2007

I can SO relate...

Like you, Velogirl, I have been racing all season - started in April and am still going [strong?]. Of course, in between all the races on the weekends are the training sessions...

I'm starting to get a bit tired, but there's still several more weeks of racing left to do! Like you though, if I didn't love it, I wouldn't still be doing it.

Yesterday here was a monsoon - literally! We had a Nor'Easter without the snow. Two to three inches of rain and wind gusts up to 50 mph. Thankfully, no race on the "local" calendar, so I spent the day shopping (including a new digitall camera - woohoo!), watching movies and just lazing about. It was a TREAT!

Back to racing today. I have a party for my team to get to this afternoon, but race report will be forthcoming.

Good on you for taking a "rest" day!

SheFly