Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hair loss

hair loss

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been noticing that my hair seems to be falling out by the handful lately; my shedding problem is worse than the cat's, and she's really got it bad. I'm wondering if it could be connected with the amount of time spent exercising and if anybody else has experienced this. I put in about 70-100 miles per week which is a lot of hours on the bike since I am a very slow rider. I used to notice hair loss in my younger days when I went on crash diets, but I'd like to think I'm being more sensible these days. I guess I'm wondering because that "real age" test said I exercise too much. My weight has been declining ever so slowly without an appreciable change in eating habits. Will the hair loss stabilize, I wonder? It seems to be getting worse every day at this point .

You might want to see your doctor and have them check your thyroid. I believe hair loss can be a symptom of thyroid problems, maybe other things.

A few years ago my hair was thinning very badly when I was working out 6 days a week. I went to my doctor for some other issues and he ran a metabolic panel. Turned out I was okay, the highlights I got to celebrate my weight loss were too harsh for my hair! I didn't think of it because I have dyed my hair for years and was having some other concerns.

If you are really concerned, check with your doctor. My mom says her hair changed texture as she aged, so maybe it is hormonal?
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I find this a serious cause of concern indeed.

You might want to look at what you eat and at what you don't eat. Maybe you don't eat enough, or at least don't get all the nutrients you need. You want to make sure you get enough protein, vitamin, and minerals (notably iron). If you have increased your riding and not your eating, it's very likely to be a source of the problem.

Hair is keratin-based, like your nails and... corneas (the lenses of your eyes) so be careful. What is hurting your hair might hurt other important parts of your body!!

Are you trying to loose weight?
    Last edited by Grog; 10-15-2006 at 02:07 PM.

Check with your doctor. The amount your are losing does not sound "normal". It could be caused by so many different things, it would indeed be best to run it by your doctor.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

How old are you? I just read that increased scalp hair loss is common during perimenopause. I think mine is falling out at a slightly increased rate; nothing dramatic, but I'm 45.

Definitely worth asking your doc!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Yes, I've experienced this as well. I have issues with my hair coming out by the handfuls too at times. I noticed just by happenstance that when I took B complex vitamins it would decrease and when I would not take them for a few weeks it would start up again. I'm not positive this is the source of the problem as I have been excessively tired lately, I've started taking iron pills in hopes of elevating that. I was actually put on thyroid medication a few years back but when I changed doctors they did testing and said my thyroid was normal. You should probably go see your MD and get some blood tests done if this continues. I keep promising myself to make an appointment but just never get around to it...
    Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be. ~Grandma Moses

i've recently gone through the same problem.
    when i would leave home my hair would stop falling out, when i got back it would start falling out again.
    a few things i noticed: one, the water here dries out my hair and so it breaks off. i changed my shampoo and conditioner and it has helped a bit. want to get one of those showerheads with a filter but DPITA say's they don't work. also when i leave here i have access to fresh fruits and veggies and i think that may help too. diet pays a big roll in your hair, skin and nails.
    since i cut 5 inches off my hair it doesn't seem like i'm shedding as much.
    so what i'm saying is if you go to the dr and he/she says everything looks "normal" you may want to look at those things.
    also, your hair goes in cycles. parts of the year you "shed" more than other parts of the year.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

Thanks all for your thoughtful replies. I did see the doctor recently because he was concerned that my blood pressure was on the high side. He ran all the usual tests, but I didn’t follow up because the blood pressure dropped. It seemed silly to schedule another appointment just to tell him my blood pressure was normal. The tests came back as mostly normal, but, what do you know, it says here my thyroid is “abnormal”. That can make your hair fall out? But I’ve been feeling so energetic lately! I thought low thyroid made one sluggish. Ah, the chicken scratches at the bottom suggest I consider a low dose medication. I guess I’d better schedule that follow up. I guess the age issue is also pertinent; I’m 43 and do go through periods of serious hot flash action. (for almost 10 years now!). I suppose it is possible there is a problem with the eating as well, but that is quite a confusing issue since I am very much over weight. I once calculated that it should take 4400 calories to maintain my current weight—but I usually consume around 2200-2500 calories. I’ve been telling people for years that my body defies the laws of physics! I’ve totally given up on the idea of losing weight; I just try to eat when I am hungry and stop when I am not(not always successful, there, though).

What is DPITA?

Dear Pain In The A$$
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

Altho your hair falls out by the handfulls, is it thinning?? And how long have you had this problem? And yes, a side affect of thyroid disorders is hair loss. So if this has begun recently, I would definately suggest consulting your doctor.

FWIW, on the flip side, I have had hair loss for literally years but I have LOTS of hair (not thick mind you, just lots of it) and it is not thinning out. I just lose lots of hair. I have high BP but my thyroid is normal. When I use Nioxin it greatly reduces my hair loss, but when I don't use it, I shed worse than my 4 dogs put together.

Have your tried Nioxin? Its expensive, but a little goes a long way.
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

Sidenote:

thanks Chick for the new nickname for my DH-

D'pita..........I like it.
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

nioxin is the shampoo and conditioner that i use. i love it!! i have dry curly hair, makes it soft and not so much leaves my head.

also how often do you wash your hair and brush it?

Quote Originally Posted by lauraelmore1033 View Post
    I suppose it is possible there is a problem with the eating as well, but that is quite a confusing issue since I am very much over weight. I once calculated that it should take 4400 calories to maintain my current weight—but I usually consume around 2200-2500 calories. I’ve been telling people for years that my body defies the laws of physics! I’ve totally given up on the idea of losing weight; I just try to eat when I am hungry and stop when I am not(not always successful, there, though).
    Have you considered talking with a dietetician? Maybe that could help address the broader issues as well. Seriously analyzing what you are intaking and how it helps you go by with your life and exercise might help you make decisions to bring a more balanced and healthy life? Maybe you don't need that. But if your health is a concern to you it could be a good point of departure, not because there is a crisis, but before there is one...

Good luck!!

Could you abnormal thyroid be that is a little on the high side? I had two friends with thyroid problems, one hypothyroid and one hyperthyroid. Both had problems with their hair thinning. The one with the hyperthyroid was not significantly under weight.

Good luck, I remember how stressful my hair thinning was.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan