Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hair loss

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've never heard of Nioxin. Is that available over the counter?
    I do admit that I experience a great deal of resistance to the idea of seeing a dietitian--or even my doctor, for that matter. At one point my GP thought I had Cushing's Syndrome and sent me to an endocrinologist. She said that yes, my hormone levels were odd, but she attributed that to eating too many carbohydrates and not getting any exercise. When I told her that I exercised a great deal more than the half hour a day she was recomending, she nearly shouted me down, saying, "you NEED to GET a HALF an HOUR of exercise A DAY! and that was that. It seems pointless to go to an expert when they're not going to believe me anyway and will simply advise me to do things I am already doing.

it is a salon product. you would have to see what salon near you carries it. or if you really want it i could order it (i'm licensed) and send it to you all the way from alaska if you can't find it.

at nioxin's main websight they have a salon locater where you could find a salon near you.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

Thinning hair runs in my family, so two years ago at the age of 24 when I started noticing my hair thinning, I went to get my thyroid checked (like many of the ladies here said to do). My hair was naturally thinning all over and I was seeing balding spots near my temples. Luckly my bangs covered the spots, but I was very self consience about it.

They said my thyroid was fine but that my iron was very low. They also said that one of the most common causes of hair loss or hair thinning is when women put their hair up in pony tails really tight when it's wet. Throughout the day as your hair dries, becuase it's held back in a pony tail (which I do every morning) there is no where to expand, so they break. After so many years of breaking, the doc says, they sometimes give up and it causes bald spots. Similar to when men wear hats.

So, I started taking iron pills and forcing myself to eat red meat atleast twice a week. I also started letting my hair air dry in the am before putting it up. Hope this helps!!

Roshelle from Milwaukee
    Roshelle from Milwaukee
    http://wisconsinbetties.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by roshelleuop View Post
    They said my thyroid was fine but that my iron was very low. They also said that one of the most common causes of hair loss or hair thinning is when women put their hair up in pony tails really tight when it's wet. Throughout the day as your hair dries, becuase it's held back in a pony tail (which I do every morning) there is no where to expand, so they break. After so many years of breaking, the doc says, they sometimes give up and it causes bald spots. Similar to when men wear hats.

So, I started taking iron pills and forcing myself to eat red meat atleast twice a week. I also started letting my hair air dry in the am before putting it up. Hope this helps!!

Roshelle from Milwaukee
    Thanks Roshelle, I put my hair up in a ponytail while it's wet most days. I'm going to try to break myself of this habit or even go with a short cut again.
    Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be. ~Grandma Moses

Chick--is Nioxin safe for color treated hair? I'm at the hair thinning age (almost 44) and I have it colored to hide the ever-increasing grey. It looks like my salon carries it, so I might go ahead and invest in some.

Quote Originally Posted by Velobambina View Post
    Chick--is Nioxin safe for color treated hair?
    yes it is. mine is color treated and works just fine. here is there complete line for thinning hair. Systems 3, 4, 7 and 8 are for chemically treated hair and the different systems are for your "type" of hair.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

Ditto to what Chick said. I have been coloring my hair for .... ahem.... well a long time, and nioxin actually makes my hair seem healthier. It feels softer; my scalp doesn't itch (Paul Mitchell Tea Tree loves my head ) and there is a distinctly noticable difference in my hair loss.

I love Nioxin, just hate the price.
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

hair stylist weighing in... sorry for the novel.

#1, it is strongly recommended that you go to a doctor. i literally got out my textbook, and it says: "In general, anyone who has unusual, excessive shedding should see a doctor." i understand your fears and it's your decision, but just know that it's highly advised.

#2, you need to determine whether the hair is actually breaking off or falling out, because those are two very different problems. if you run your fingers through your hair, do the hairs that fall have blunt ends on both ends, or does the part that came out of your scalp still have a little "nubbin" (technical term, haha) of follicle on it? some hairs with follicles are natural, but if the majority of them have follicles, that's hair loss.

some hair loss possibilities:
    alopecia areata - an autoimmune skin disease that affects people with no obvious skin disorder or serious disease. reversable.

telogen effluvium - can be caused by childbirth, shock, drug intake, fever, crash diets, birth-control pills, low protein intake. reversable.

traction alopecia - caused by pulling or twisting, like wearing tight ponytails for many years. the times that i have seen this it's been at the hairline from the hair being pulled back so tightly. how tight is your helmet?....seriously.

androgenetic alopecia is genetic hair loss which causes overall thinning. for this one, your hair follicles are actually shrinking, causing each hair to become thinner and thinner until nothing is produced. i've never done this but it's recommended that you can hold a white index card behind your hair at the scalp to see more clearly, and you should actually see the "miniaturized" (that actually IS the technical term!) hairs. do your parents or other relatives have hair loss?

i hope that's helpful!

I have thinning caused by PCOS. It's a hormonal issue that can be identified with a hormone screen by your doctor. It's treatable, though the hair loss is difficult if not impossible to reverse - I'm OK with just making it not get worse, personally....
    Aperte mala cm est mulier, tum demum est bona. -- Syrus, Maxims
    (When a woman is openly bad, she is at last good.)

Edepol nunc nos tempus est malas peioris fieri. -- Plautus, Miles Gloriosus
    (Now is the time for bad girls to become worse still.)

I also have PCOS and have been losing my hair for nearly 10 years. Unfortunately, I've lost most of the hair on the crown of my head, looks very much like male pattern baldness. What looks DAMN SEXY on a man, I don't think I'm going to pull off well if I continue to lose my hair. Many of my photos looks like I'm bald on top. Good luck
    Don't think of it as getting hot flashes. Think of it as your inner child playing with matches

Hair fall is the last worst things in life. I hate to lose my hair. I have been gone through this and I know the feeling very well. Unlike man, saving head is not an appropriate solution for women. Without hair or thin hair you look ugly and it's going on self-esteem. There will be the time when you went crazy when you see notings goes well. In the market, you will see thousands of hair products who are promising to reverse hair fall in 30 days or less time. But the maximum is fraud or scam. You have to fioud the real one that really works. as I have found one for me. From then to now I have used this product on regular basis. It helps me to restore my hair. I have done cryziest things to get beck my hair. When all things failed to save me from my severe hair loss problem then this products has comes with the light of hopes. I'm talking about amplixin hair support produts. Its an amazing product for your hair health. It works for men and women both. I'm suggesting you consult with a doc first. Then follow proper instruction and besides use this product. It worth trying. If you interested to know more you can visit their website. https://amplixin.com/

I want to get rid of hair loss, I have heard people saying that long biking makes your hair root weak and as a result, hair fall happens. How true is this?