Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Bike coach in Chicagoland, and an intro

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi, all:

N00b here. My husband used to race across the country and Italy with his business school team, and when we met in San Francisco, he was biking every weekend. I knew he was the one partially because I have been hot for cyclists all my life!

Well, life happened to us all and we had to move out of California due to real estate craziness, and his biking friend became a father who had no more time for biking to Marin.

So, for our 3rd anniversary, I suggested he buy me a bike so we could cycle together (once I learned, of course). He lit up like a X-mas tree, he was so happy. I have a good Specialized Vita, which I think is actually a triathalon bike, and clipless pedals.

Well, let me tell you that I was shocked that clipless pedals...are like my little nemeses. They seriously scare me. I am not willing to use clips because Mr. Man put the fear of God into me about those too. I used to mountain bike somewhat (casually) in undergrad and was really pretty good at that. I also used to horseback ride and stadium and outdoor jump as a teen, so I'm not sure what the balance issue is about. I spin and lift weights for exercise but I'm a blob right now and out of shape.

I might be psyching myself out and thinking too much and worrying what Mr. Man thinks of me.

I read on here that coaching might be a solution. Does anyone know where there might be a good coach for a beginner around Chicagoland? I'm old enough (35) that falling down hurts like a bi!ch and I'd really like to avoid it. I also don't want to get all anxious and fearful.

Ultimately, I blew out a knee spinning with too much resistance and this is good excercise for me and I want to keep it up. I also like the booty I get when I'm actually in shape...

Any ideas or thoughts?

As an equestrian, I'll tell you that the way you hang on and stay balanced on a horse is nothing like how you keep a bike upright. Think about all the contact your leg has with a horse and how little contact you have with the bike. Plus, horses tend to like to stay upright (and I try to avoid the crazies who don't).

A friend of mine cycles in Chicago, but I believe she just does the email coaching thing. I don't have any experience with coaches yet either..and I'd love some help and am pretty surprised that there aren't more coaches around for this sport at a variety of levels. But for really newbie stuff like figuring out pedals and whatnot, I don't think a coach will do you much good. Get tips from posts on this board (they helped me) and from your guy.

But as for clipless..just keep practicing. After giving myself a very raw elbow, I took my practice sessions onto some grass. I ride multiuse trails where I can pull off on the grassy shoulders to stop and restart (don't want to block others anyway). Now I'm getting more confident stopping and starting on pavement..and now that I'm getting the hang of things, it's easier to be on pavement. Though downhill stops are pretty slippery.

If you're deathly afraid of falling, then the sport is not for you. I couldn't be terrified about falling off a horse and do well--I had to learn how to be good at staying on, but I still fall, and the horses still fall down too. With a bike, it's also not a question of if but when. It happens to everyone. You have to be able to do your best to stay upright but know it can happen and when it does, you've got to be willing to get back in the saddle.

Well, I'm wondering if perhaps it really isn't more about trying to be perfect first time out then an actual fear. I think it might manifest itself as fear but knowing myself it is probably more about looking dumb.

I also have found that I have to really rein Mr. Man in, who wanted to take me on the (poorly kept up) road, as opposed to paths, on my second ride.

I am considering taking me and my bike up to Wisconsin, which is where my parents live, and just riding without Mr. Man, and seeing if he is indeed the wild card in all of this. It is intimidating trying to pick up a spouse's sport when they're good at it!

I should say he's nothing but supportive, I don't want to make him sound like a jerk. He has confidence in me and I don't want to let him down.

I'm a noob too, and a scaredy-cat. My partner has always been much more athletic (but I'm catching up) and has ridden lots more in country and city. I do my best "overcoming" rides by myself, at quiet hours, on quiet roads. I relax, have fun, practice skills. Maybe I can make up for 3 bikeless decades, but not all at once. I also have gotten a lot out of "D" rides with a local club that really supports beginners. I'm more fit than most of the riders and don't think I'll ride with them much longer, but the long relaxed miles where I can chat with the ride leader (and NOT compare myself with my partner) have helped me gain some ease. Maybe I'll never be a fearless rider. But I'm less fearful than I was, and sometimes I forget to be afraid at all!

i don't know about any coaches, but i can tell you this. the first time i (and probably many others) started on clipless pedals we were terrified. i fell and it was more pride that hurt then pain of the fall 99% of the time. second time i feel was infront of this one guy and all he said was: "just get clipless" me: "uh hu" him: "i did the same exact thing and still do". moral of the story: we all have been there, guys and girls. don't worry about what mr. man will think. he's been there too (if he says he hasn't he's lying) and sympathizes with you.

the thing that helped me was clipping in and out while i was riding so i got use to it. also clipping out way before i started slowing down if i knew there was a stop coming up.

if it helps practicing by yourself, then do it. build up your confidence and come back and say "see, look how good i am!"
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

I think husbands and fathers are sometimes the worst people to teach us. I remember learning how to drive. I did much better with my mom than dad.

Just go ride on your own to practice clipping and un-. If you need advice on that, ask at your LBS.

Ask your Qs here !

Where in Chicago?

Hi Janusdog, and welcome to TE! I'm pretty new to all of this, too but my husband has been riding for a while now. When we first started riding together, I felt badly that I was a lot slower than he was, so I always felt like I "ruined" his ride. I don't like to do things that I'm not good at, so I almost just gave up. But, we eventually came to a solution where he rides ahead of me, and we meet at certain points along the way (it helps that we always ride along the lakeshore path) just so he could make sure I was doing okay. This strategy allowed me to ride at my own pace and not worry about what he was thinking, while also challenging me to get better so that we could ride together again.

We still don't ride together, I'm just not nearly as fast as he is, but I can ride much longer and further than I could when I first started. Mr. Sheesh is going to start racing soon, and while I know that I'll probably never be to that level, at least I can have fun doing something that he loves to do.

Remember, it's all about having fun. If you're not enjoying yourself, because you're too worried about looking dumb (and really, let's admit it, we're wearing spandex for goodness sakes!), then it will make it much harder to stick with it. Good luck!

Hi,

Can you go to your local bike shop and have them put your bike on a trainer and let you practice clipping and unclipping (15 - 20 minutes?). You can't fall over that way. Also, let them adjust your clips so they are at the least amount of tension so you can easily unclip.

This would also get some other "experts" in the loop so you're not dealing directly with Mr Man. Even if you didn't buy your shoes and clips at LBS they should help you if you buy some other gear there (we can all use some extra socks, a blinkie nite lite, etc.) Plus, you'll need a new bike sooner than you think!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheesh View Post
    When we first started riding together, I felt badly that I was a lot slower than he was, so I always felt like I "ruined" his ride. I don't like to do things that I'm not good at, so I almost just gave up. But, we eventually came to a solution where he rides ahead of me, and we meet at certain points along the way (it helps that we always ride along the lakeshore path) just so he could make sure I was doing okay. This strategy allowed me to ride at my own pace and not worry about what he was thinking, while also challenging me to get better so that we could ride together again.
    Are you me? Well, except I hate the Lakeshore path. Even though we rode early, people would be wandering down the path two abreast, letting their dogs loose on it, pushing their strollers on it. It was absolute chaos and, as beautiful as it is, I'll have to avoid that.

Good to know that my instincts to ride alone might be right on. I live in Wicker Park and traffic is nuts except for very early, so I will probably drive up to the North Shore paths and such.

As for everyone else, thanks for the warm welcome! This board is awesome!

Cool Lakepath

I've found that the north end and the south end of the path are GREAT, while the middle part sucks. If you can deal with the stupid people for about five miles, the rest of the path is beautiful! If nothing else, ride south to the very end and you'll see so few people that it's completely worth it.

I'm a bit worried about riding in traffic by myself, which is why I stick to the path more often than not. Thought, we have ridden Sheridan north of the city and that's not too bad traffic-wise (I live in Rogers Park so that's not too far away for me).

Good luck figuring out what will work best for you. Just don't give up!