Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Need help choosing clothes - newbie!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I already have a pair of Pearl Izumi bike shorts that I like (although have no basis of comparison since they are my first and only pair! LOL) and a Shebeest short sleeve jersey that I like (but have yet to wear on a REAL ride yet) - I got it b/c it was cute and on sale at my LBS

Other than that I have NOTHING. So I am shopping for some closeout deals to get me started (still VERY broke after the initial bike and other gear purchases)

I figured I should get a long sleeve jersey and/or a jacket, and some tights or knickers. I can't spend hundreds of dollars on each item, so found these at STP:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/2...For-Women.html

Are these any good? I need to spend some more time on TE in their clearance/bargain section too, but really, I just have no clue what brands are 'good' and what items are right, or what I need......so it's a sort of frustrating search

I live in south TX so it doesn't get very cold, but I can't stand to be cold at ALL, so there will be days I will need the extra protection....

Thanks!!

It looks like you have found some good stuff for winter riding. but you live in South Texas? You need to buy a light raincoat (Bright yellow) you can wear that over that gorgeous jersey, I really like that jersey, and I'll bet that you won't need that jacket except in the very worst weather. (Like snow!)
    I live in Seattle and do not have a jacket that heavy. I wear layers;
    a wool or capilene undershirt, a jersey (similar to yours) and then depending on the cold, a fleece jacket or vest topped by the raincoat.

This is good for 40 degrees. (don't forget hat and gloves)

Mimi
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

thank you :)

See, I didnt even pay attention to the thickness of the jacket! Duh! Ok, so the jersey is a "go" (it is really striking isn't it?) and what about the tights? Is that the type of tight I need? I don't know if I need chamois, or if those are even "cycling" tights (I'm assuming there are different types for different sports?)

I'll look for a BRIGHT rain coat

Thanks for your help!

the tights are pretty warm and you'll wear them with shorts. Now don't ask me which should be inside or out... that's a good poll question.

I am not sure how cold you'll be, but gee, the price is right and I like having tights!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I think your wardrobe depends alot on what you want to look like ... In other words, how important is it to you to look like a roadie biker. The second question is how long do you expect your rides to take. I find that for rides of one hour or less, there are lots and lots of clothing options. Even up to 90 minutes doesn't require heavy duty (and highly priced) technical clothing. I do appreciate the nicer stuff when I'm off for an entire morning, afternoon or (if I'm really lucky) a whole day.

Around here when it's 40-50 degrees I like any wicking base layer (off some clearance rack and even Target clothes have gotten pretty good lately!) an old wool vest or sweater and a windbreak kind of jacket. I like to wear knickers and wool knee socks. I cover my head and ears with a buff and wear some full finger gloves and I'm good to go.

In the 50s, I just like a wicking T and a wind layer. Maybe long finger gloves ... and I'm fine after 10 minutes.

In the 30s, I go for the above, but make sure they are full sleeve items, leggings, warmer gloves, better ear covering, maybe a light fleece hat and usually my jacket is the Lands End Marinac (they made yellow one year and no one bought them so they had 'em on close outs!) ... It's warm and windproofish. Very cozy and really serves me as my warmest biking jacket down into the 20s. Sometimes I wear it with just a baselayer. You don't go below 30 in Texas, do you?

To be honest, I don't bike under 20 degrees. I find the additional breeze from riding just too brisk. I just walk though ... it's much warmer.

My list of cold weather essentials would be:
    2 wicking long sleeve shirts
    1 wool vest
    1 wool sweater
    2 pr knickers (I like the Nashbar brand just fine)
    2 pr wool knee-his
    long finger biking gloves
    warm gloves
    1 ear wrap
    1 buff (can double around your neck & chin when really cold)
    1 fleece hat (tight fitting for under the helmet)
    1 windbreaker jacket (like this: http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...3A%20Outerwear
    1 windblock fleece jacket (e.g.: http://www.landsend.com/cd/ov/prod/0...&CM_MERCH=SRCH

If I didn't bike in under 40 degree weather, I would not get the fleece jacket ... just the windbreak and layer under it.

Good Luck and remember I'm in Chicago!! YMMV.

Campmor also has good prices sometimes on closeouts.
    Last edited by recycle613; 10-11-2006 at 09:26 AM.