Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

70mi round trip, anyone?

To disable ads, please log-in.

It helps a lot, when you know there's somebody (a patient) waiting for you. I am not an endurance cyclist, just a little crazy lady.

Quote Originally Posted by velofanat View Post
    It helps a lot, when you know there's somebody (a patient) waiting for you. I am not an endurance cyclist, just a little crazy lady.

Yup, if you are doing 70 miles round trip commuting you just might be right you might be "just a little crazy lady"! Seriously, 70 miles? When do you get up in the morning?

Yikes, I just don't have it me for that much commute riding! Is it cold where you live? How many times a week do you do that? I'm thoroughly impressed

My commute is just over 23 hilly kilometres each way - about 14miles.

But even if it was twice as long each way (46km/29miles) I would still find the time to do it.

Make sure you can build the time in to your day... but the biggest thing is to make sure you can do two reasonably big rides in your day. Remember your body has to recover in between rides... you need to rest, to eat and drink properly.

When I first started cycling, and then commuting occasionally, I would take my car part way and bike to/from there as the worst hills are near home and I just didn't have the "oomph". Lisa's suggestion is a good one.

The other thing I do still when I dont want two rides in one day is I take the car to work, leave the car in town and bike home. The next day I bike to/from work. The third day I bike to work (this is a good recovery ride as it is heading down to sea level so not too many hills) and I drive home.

I dont ride in the dark, so a third option I use over winter is to bike to work, and get a lift home with someone from up the road.

Have fun finding a way to commute that suits you best

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Talking I don't ride when it's too foggy

I commute once or twice a week, on days I don't have patients coming at 7AM. Yes, I am a healthcare professional and healthy so far. From the population who "practice what you preach".
    Too bad that my rides are on quite flat roads, I'm a southern, but I've noticed my route has a little elevation on the way there, and it becomes a descend on the way back. It helps after long day.
    Ultimately, I want to try RAAM someday. I don't think I am ready now. I am not an endurance cyclist.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Quote Originally Posted by velofanat View Post
    I don't think I am ready now. I am not an endurance cyclist.
    Ummmm... when you commute 70 miles to work twice a week, I would consider you an endurance cyclist!!!!!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike