Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

MM_QFC... I just got your username. I love it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    I was thinking about STP until I saw how many riders were involved. I'm completely with you TsP, I really dislike large group rides nowadays.
    I'm in the exact same situation. I can handle 2000 riders, but not nearly 10000.

Same for RAGBRAI.

That's too bad. But I'd rather be safe than nervous and tense for two days.

Lightbulb r2Dianyla

Quote Originally Posted by Dianyla View Post
    MM_QFC... I just got your username. I love it!!!

hehehehe...yep, had my nickname handed to me by a riding buddy...she said..."just like the nursery rhyme, only insert your own adverb!"

Unhappy Good bye STP . . . niece's wedding!

Well, I just found out over the weekend that my niece is having a wedding reception on Saturday, July 14th. She was married this past fall but is having two wedding receptions for family. One reception will be on June 16th in NYC (where she currently works and lives with her new husband) and the second reception will be in her husband's home town of Spokane on Saturday, July 14th. Of course we are going. She is my husband's brother's daughter. Joe's family all live in Montana so it will be like a huge family thing too. Now that I cannot do the STP I am looking for other events to do. Here are my candidates:

The Apple Bike Ride in Wenatchee

the

The Chelan Century Challenge near Lake Chelan

the

The Rapsody Bike Ride and there are a few others.

Has anyone done any of these rides? Did you enjoy them? Good points/Bad?

Well, I guess I paid for an STP that I will not be doing. Sigh. I think it's a sign that a 10,000 person bike ride is not in the stars for me.

I've not done the STP (and probably won't) but I've been under the impression that you can sell/transfer your STP entry. You might not be out any money.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by colby View Post
    They should do a Bicycle Washington tour like Bicycle Idaho and Bicycle Oregon. I suppose you could do your own if you linked STP, RSVP, and this all together
    So, I was reading this whole thread -- this must be the time of year for thinking about bike trips etc for the year, cuz just yesterday I was looking at the SPIN Idaho pages to see if the new calendar of rides is out yet (it's not) and when I got to this message, I thought:

Funny you should mention that

two of the links were for the Bike Idaho and Bicycle Oregon rides and look what I saw when I clicked the link:

http://www.oregonbicycleride.org/

You got your wish this year, Colby!

Karen in Boise

Quote Originally Posted by Susan126 View Post
    Well, I just found out over the weekend that my niece is having a wedding reception on Saturday, July 14th. She was married this past fall but is having two wedding receptions for family. One reception will be on June 16th in NYC (where she currently works and lives with her new husband) and the second reception will be in her husband's home town of Spokane on Saturday, July 14th. Of course we are going. She is my husband's brother's daughter. Joe's family all live in Montana so it will be like a huge family thing too. Now that I cannot do the STP I am looking for other events to do. Here are my candidates:

The Apple Bike Ride in Wenatchee

the

The Chelan Century Challenge near Lake Chelan

the

The Rapsody Bike Ride and there are a few others.

Has anyone done any of these rides? Did you enjoy them? Good points/Bad?

Well, I guess I paid for an STP that I will not be doing. Sigh. I think it's a sign that a 10,000 person bike ride is not in the stars for me.

The Wenatchee Apple Century is one of the nicest rides I have ever done. The weather was JUST RIGHT last year. Imagine 72 miles on a road that
    3 cars pass you on. Yes, there was the 12 miles on the highway getting there, and then of course, coming home you had to get on that same busy dusty highway to get back to wenatchee, but once we got onto the forest service road, it was like heaven. All you could hear were birds and all you could smell were the trees.
    Last years's route was a slight incline all the way to the end of a road,
    then a turn around and ride all the way back down gentle hills, coasting.
    ah, glorious...
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I heard too that you can transfer/sell you stp ticket. I will try at the cascade bulletin board as the ride draws nearer.

And I think I am going to ride the Wenatchee Century Apple Ride. It looks like a beautiful ride. And with a great recommendation from you mimitabby . . . it's a definite yes!

cool, we're going to do it again this year too. the downside: if it's hot, it's very very hot. We lucked out on the temp last year... crossing my fingers.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    So, I was reading this whole thread -- this must be the time of year for thinking about bike trips etc for the year, cuz just yesterday I was looking at the SPIN Idaho pages to see if the new calendar of rides is out yet (it's not) and when I got to this message, I thought:

Funny you should mention that

two of the links were for the Bike Idaho and Bicycle Oregon rides and look what I saw when I clicked the link:

You got your wish this year, Colby!

Karen in Boise
    Hey!! Thanks for sending the link, Karen! I'm going to check the calendar and see if I can go. It sounds awesome.

The Bicycle Idaho Ride this year is in Washington, but it's already full! They opened the regisitration right at the end of December. It's a great ride. Sandy Greene says that they are taking a wait list. I highly recommend this ride. I'm going again.

A great place to look for rides in the Pacific NWest is www.bicyclepaper.com

r2 Susan re: STP and Apple Century

Quote Originally Posted by Susan126 View Post
    I heard too that you can transfer/sell you stp ticket. I will try at the cascade bulletin board as the ride draws nearer.

And I think I am going to ride the Wenatchee Century Apple Ride. It looks like a beautiful ride. And with a great recommendation from you mimitabby . . . it's a definite yes!
    Hey Susan - yes, you're right in that you shouldn't have any problem transferring your registration. The STP usually doesn't max out on riders, but many people wait until the last minute and find it easier to see if anyone wants to sell their registration and or hotel/lodging packaged together. The Cascade message board will be active in the 'for sale' area closer in to July and be aware that Cascade usually charges a $10 transfer fee now (so that the new rider can ride under their own name and not get mistaken for you, in case they have a mishap, etc) but it's all pretty easy to do.

And re: the Apple Century ride - yes, I've done the ride about 5 times and it's well-supported and a nice route. Pretty much an out n' back up to either the Fish Hatchery for the 50 mile route and further up that same route to the turnaround for the century route at Silver Falls. Both the initial leg out and return are on the trail along the Wenatchee river and also on hwy 97, which has a good shoulder and can get pretty windy, but most of the ride is on a low traffic road up the Entiat River valley...it's a pull on the outbound with a steady grade but has, as a previous post noted, some great fun on the downhills in return and nothing gnarly at all.
    Have fun!
    Tailwinds!
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post

Jeff & I are signed up for the Oregon Bicycle Ride. The Idaho/Washington ride looked good too, but the timing of OBR worked out better for us. I got an email this morning saying that there are only 60 spots left open on OBR, so if anyone is on the fence, you might not want to wait too much longer!

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Thanks for the input MM_QFC, I will definitely put my ticket up on the board around June. I'm sure I will have no trouble finding someone. Hopefully next year will be my year for riding in the STP . . . AND . . . MAYBE . . . doing it in one day?! Dare I try?

And mimitabby . . . are you really going to ride in this year's Century Apple in Wenatchee? I will look for you!!!!!!! I believe you when you say, "When it's hot . . . it's HOT!" Joe and I went to Leavenworth one Memorial Day weekend and brought along our road and mountain bikes. We did a 60 mile road ride and it was in the 90s! We were beat at the end of the ride! We crashed in our hotel room after the ride and slept for about 4 hours straight. The heat really took it's toll on us. Then the next day we did a mountain bike ride with friends up Devil's Gulch and around Mission Ridge I thought I would pass out from heat exhaustion about 3/4 of the way up. Luckily for us a man in a huge truck took pity on us and gave us a lift the rest of the climb. We only had 2 miles to go of the 14 mile climb but I don't think I would have made it. We have done the ride many times before no trouble but the heat that May really was horrible and we were not used to it. Plus we started late. When we do the ride we normally start around 7 AM but that day we weren't on the trail until almost 10:30 so we hit the hardest part of the ride, the climb, during mid day heat!

Thank God for kind strangers!

Hey it's supposed to be sunny and upper 40s today! When I get home from work (I get off at 2:30) I am going to take my road bike out and go for a spin around my area. Get my sunglasses out! He he

Quote Originally Posted by MM_QFC! View Post
    And re: the Apple Century ride - yes, I've done the ride about 5 times and it's well-supported and a nice route. Pretty much an out n' back up to either the Fish Hatchery for the 50 mile route and further up that same route to the turnaround for the century route at Silver Falls. Both the initial leg out and return are on the trail along the Wenatchee river and also on hwy 97, which has a good shoulder and can get pretty windy, but most of the ride is on a low traffic road up the Entiat River valley...it's a pull on the outbound with a steady grade but has, as a previous post noted, some great fun on the downhills in return and nothing gnarly at all.
    Mary
    The trails and forest roads...are they all paved? This is a good ride for road bikes, right? Thanks!
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury