Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yes, that's a drag. There are only a few really "safe" weekends in Seattle for weather. that one might be IT.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Stp 2007

I've done STP 6 times, the first time was back in 1986 when there was only a few thousand folks. STP is well organized given the size and scope of the event.

As an experienced cyclist though, one has to go into it being prepared for the wide range of skill sets of those riding along. Yes, there's folks riding two or three abreast not giving way to cars, yes there's those who forget to pull over when they come to a stop in the middle of the bike path. But I don't think there's a ride out there with 9000+ riders on the road that's without people who lack experience (or good judgement) when riding in large groups.

My DP and I get a kick out of seeing people of all shapes, sizes, backgrounds, ages and ability out there working to achieving a common goal. Who can forget the skateboarder, those guys on big wheels, and the unicyclist, not to mention the old guy on the cruiser bike wearing jeans and the fellow who cycled all the way using a one-armed hank crank?

For many, STP is as much a social event as it is a double century, but we have found that we prefer starting early to get ahead of those for whom this might be their first big event, and we stay away from the large food stops (and long porta-pottie lines).

We're planning to do it again in 2007.

re: STP, RSVP

Yes, agree with all of your points, java...and I'm also a 6-time STP veteran - I rode it in 2-days during my first STP weekend in 1999, but have been a 1-day rider ever since. Speaking of the high number of people to ride it, that was the main incentive for me to ride it in 1 day, as one-day'ers have the road pretty much to themselves after the halfway area, where most riders stop, get their gear bags and head to their overnight locations...They don't close the Longview Bridge for 1-day riders and by the time I got over it each year, it became a mind game, as it's all psychological at that point, being in the saddle for so long and I just used the incentive of a cold beer as well as a hot shower - in my hotel room across the street, to keep me headed towards Portland! Yes, it makes for a long day, but I have a leisurely dinner, and can sleep in the next morning, enjoy a hot, sit-down breakfast and walk across the street to enjoy the finish line festival and welcome in any friends who are doing it in 2 days...
    It is, as someone here mentioned, a kind of a rite of passage here in the NW, however my cousin's husband has come in from Fairfield, CT to ride the STP every year since 1997! The club opens up online registration for the STP sometime in January and yes, there is also registration at the Bike Expo (3/10, 11/2007) and @8-9000 riders are allowed. Also, since the STP weekend was moved to July, there has more reliable dry weather...although I've had to ride through some cloudbursts enroute a couple of times...and, if you start early early enough, you can avoid the hottest part of the day on the road.
    Re: RSVP - yes, this used to be limited to 200 riders, but I heard that that number was increased recently;I'd still recommend registering early though, as it's become a very popular ride and for good reason. There aren't as many inexperienced cyclists who ride the RSVP, as it's a hillier ride than the STP (which is considered a very flat double century route). There is a need to plan your lodging early too, for both the mid-point overnight as well as in Vancouver, as well as arranging for yours and your bike's transport back home. It's a beautiful route and the acronym actually means Ride Seattle to Vancouver and Party! For the past few years, it's been on the same weekend as the international fireworks show in Vancouver too - spectacular!
    This ride used to be held on the first Friday/Saturday in August, but it looks like it very well may conflict with the Seattle Danskin triathlon next year, which is usually scheduled during that 3rd weekend in August...beware too that the Danskin registration fills up about as fast as the RSVP does though, so those of you who want to do both may have a tough choice ahead of you.
    That's my $.02!
    Tailwinds!
    Mary

STP?? Been there; done that--won't ever do it again.................

I've done STP three times
    1) 2 days on my single
    2) 2 days on a tandem
    3) 1 day on a tandem

The only way I can ever see doing it again is if I decide to try it on my single in 1 day. I tend to agree with TsPoet. It's really not very scenic and I don't especially enjoy riding with that many people. That's the great part about being a one day rider. After the REI rest stop in the morning, it really thins out. On my one day ride, we didn't even stop until mile 45. That got us out of the crowds fairly early on.

I'd very much like to do RSVP. I have several friends who've ridden it who say its a delightful ride. Much more scenic than STP. I also hear its a great route for a tandem (lots of rollers) so perhaps Jeff & I will make it up there this year. I've never been to Vancouver BC, so I may have to make a real vacation out of it!

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Susan! Vancouver is GORGEOUS. The secret to this weekend is to try to make reservations at the Best Western Sands Hotel on English Bay--then you just get some picnic food and books, and hit the beach two hours before the fireworks, which are out on a barge right in the bay. It is fabulous! We haven't done RSVP yet, but we did do the fireworks thing several years in a row, going up on the train. You really see fancy stuff. One year China did a wisteria tree in fireworks. Was just telling SadieKate about all this. Best neighborhood restaurant---Malaysian, the Banana Leaf, right around the corner on Denman. And not far away is the Great Blue Heron rookery in Stanley Park.

Can you tell I like Vancouver, yet??
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

What if we all did RSVP next year, and made reservations there and did the fireworks, too?

I've got all kinds of connections for cars and rides and emergency contacts on the route.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I would love to do RSVP, it sounds REALLY cool. I LOVE Vancouver, too RSVP must be a ton more scenic than STP, that is not necessarily the world's most scenic route (at least it's not Seattle to Spokane, that would probably be worse -- not to mention climbing 2500+ feet).

Quote Originally Posted by colby View Post
    I would love to do RSVP, it sounds REALLY cool. I LOVE Vancouver, too RSVP must be a ton more scenic than STP, that is not necessarily the world's most scenic route (at least it's not Seattle to Spokane, that would probably be worse -- not to mention climbing 2500+ feet).
    There is Red-Spoke, Redmond to Spokane put on by the Redmond Rotary Club. It takes 5 days and from looking at the route it actually sounds pretty nice - they go over route 2 to then down through Grand Coulee to get to Spokane.

"Rotary Club of Redmond welcomes you to our Redmond to Spokane bicycle adventure. Started in 1988 as one of the club's fund raisers, this event is known throughout the bicycling community as the premier ride of its kind in the Northwest. With the sun in your face and the wind at your back, experience fun, excitement, fellowship and adventure on this 300-mile ride across beautiful Washington State. Enjoy the splendor of the Cascade Mountains, the majesty of river canyons and the beauty of rolling wheat fields. This premier, fully supported ride is limited to the first 100 riders." www.redspoke.org
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I also have mixed feelings about doing STP again. The only time I did it was two years ago. I had been training to do it in 2 days, but a few weeks before the event I suddenly had a business trip come up so I decided to just go for broke and do it in 1 day. 19 Hours of Hell On A Heavy Mountain Bike later...

In spite of the total mayhem and crowds and safety issues I would like to do it again someday, still in 1 day but this time fully prepared and on a light roadbike. Oh, and not being seriously anemic would also be nice.

Like many of you, I have been lusting over RSVP for years. I'm planning to buy a ticket once the online registration opens (Jan 1 2007). Although, if I wind up taking summer term classes in 2007 I may have to bail and sell off my registration.

Quote Originally Posted by Dianyla View Post
    19 Hours of Hell On A Heavy Mountain Bike later...

Ouch! I bet all that effort made for a really productive business trip too....
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    There is Red-Spoke, Redmond to Spokane put on by the Redmond Rotary Club. It takes 5 days and from looking at the route it actually sounds pretty nice - they go over route 2 to then down through Grand Coulee to get to Spokane.

"Rotary Club of Redmond welcomes you to our Redmond to Spokane bicycle adventure. Started in 1988 as one of the club's fund raisers, this event is known throughout the bicycling community as the premier ride of its kind in the Northwest. With the sun in your face and the wind at your back, experience fun, excitement, fellowship and adventure on this 300-mile ride across beautiful Washington State. Enjoy the splendor of the Cascade Mountains, the majesty of river canyons and the beauty of rolling wheat fields. This premier, fully supported ride is limited to the first 100 riders." www.redspoke.org
    Wow, only 100 riders. A Highway 2 ride would be WAY more scenic than I-90, and 5 days to cross might give you enough time to actually enjoy it.

They should do a Bicycle Washington tour like Bicycle Idaho and Bicycle Oregon. I suppose you could do your own if you linked STP, RSVP, and this all together

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Otcenas View Post
    Ouch! I bet all that effort made for a really productive business trip too....
    You ain't kidding. I reached the Portland city limits around 11pm and called for my SAG at the Shell in St. Johns. Was in bed within an hour. All I remember about the next day's 6am flight to Chicago was sitting down my seat, slumping over, and suddenly we were landing. My anklebones didn't show up until Thursday due to edema. I should be glad I didn't get DVT, in retrospect. Yeah, I was pretty useless.

Thankfully, it was just a training class in which I was a student and already knew much of the material. I was just showing up to do the boot camp thang and pass the certification test on Friday.

/hijack

Quote Originally Posted by colby View Post
    They should do a Bicycle Washington tour like Bicycle Idaho and Bicycle Oregon. I suppose you could do your own if you linked STP, RSVP, and this all together
    This kind of exists already in the form of RAW.

Wanting to do STP, I think!?

I am adding STP to my goal list for 2007. But so many negative thoughts. Is it really that bad? I would be in the two day group, I don't think I could even hope to go that far in one day. A local riding club is getting a group together for next year. I've been getting excited about it, but now I'm not so sure.

Would this ride be to much for a humble dryside person? The biggest I ride I've been on to date would be LRRH. I think there were about 1000 riders . . . and it seemed fairly under control.

The other ride I want to try next year is the Chilly Hilly. Any coments on that? The chilly I can handle. It's the hilly that worries me! bikerHen