Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hair is holding me back

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've enjoyed reading these forums! I've been a recreational rider off and on for several years. I'm quite overweight, and want to begin bike commuting in the spring to lose weight and to end my 40-minute car ride to work 9 miles from my house.

I'm fortunate that a bus does stop on my street, but I can't take it to work because it doesn't run after 5 p.m. (I'm required to stay late at a moment's notice). So to start I could take the bus in the morning and ride home at night. I'm also fortunate that my company has bicycle lockers available. As far as I know, showers are not available, but I will find out.

I also am required to take a laptop home every night, so was wondering if any of you have tried this pannier: http://www.twowheelgear.com/features.php

But the thing that is really making me nervous is trying to figure out what to do with my hair. I have a very hilly 9-mile ride to work, and I sweat a lot. Do you wet your hair in the sink then blow dry? I have short hair and have to dress professionally.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    How about wearing a good wide sweatband around your head under your helmet? That might help keep the sweaty head thing in check. If your hair is short (like mine)- you have less to fuss over to get it looking normal again. I never get any "helmet hair" that can't be fixed with a hand or washcloth quickly run through it. About just running a damp washcloth over it and then a brush and/or dry washcloth?
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Keep toiletries and a blow dryer at work and leave yourself enough time to freshen up. If I didn't have a shower at work, I would wet my hair down and then dry & style it. I'd also have some wipes to freshen up with (arm pits, etc.). It's totally doable with some coordinating, so don't let that hold you back.

Mondays I will usually drive to work, and I'll take all the stuff (clothes, food, etc.) I need for the week.

You are gonna have soooo much fun commuting!

When I was in college and had to take gym I always ran into this problem. I had longer hair but a bandana kept the sweat under control. Then dampen with COLD water and blow dry. I also found getting a cold towel to lay over my shoulders helped bring my core temperature down.

I wish I lived close enough to commute!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

coworkers i know that run, swim and bike routinely walk around with dampish hair. You just explain to folks that you were exercising on your time, and they will be impressed!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Excuses, excuses... Do it first and figure it out as you go!!!

http://www.living-room.org/slackers.htm has a little guide for riding without sweating - "for slackers"

It is part of my mission to redefine normal, and I want "normal" to include riding a bicycle to work, so I don't mind if people can tell that's what I did (basically by that helmet on my shelf over my desk )

Yep, redefining normal is a good way to go People no longer ask me if it's raining out when I join them for morning coffee with wet hair (I have curly dry hair that dislikes hairdriers), they know by now that I just got out of the shower.

But then - I don't have to dress very professionally.

(Heh - and if anybody does comment on it I pass it on by asking my fellow bike commuter why HIS hair isn't wet. He's 60 and his hair is max 2 mm long...)

Just when I was thinking about commuting from and to work the landlord of the office I work in removed the showers because it is to expensive for him to keep them bug free. We (the people in the office that do sports) are royally pissed about that.

Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone! I'm looking forward to it.

One more question* -- do you eat before you leave or when you get there or both?

My office has a fridge with freezer as well as a full-service cafeteria, so eating at work is no problem. I just wonder if I should have a small something before I leave (I'm estimating it will take me 45 minutes b/c of the hills).

* for today

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa View Post
    Just when I was thinking about commuting from and to work the landlord of the office I work in removed the showers because it is to expensive for him to keep them bug free. We (the people in the office that do sports) are royally pissed about that.

Is access to them a part of your lease?

Quote Originally Posted by Offthegrid View Post
    One more question* -- do you eat before you leave or when you get there or both?

* for today
    Both. But I have the metabolism of a wood stove and get VERY hungry VERY fast, so the only way I can cope with morning exercise is a medium size breakfast (orange juice, coffee, 2 slices of bread) before, and a morning snack after (cup of tea, apple and a biscuit). And lunch 2 hours after that again

(Oh, and having a snack will give your hair time to dry :-)

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    Both. But I have the metabolism of a wood stove and get VERY hungry VERY fast, so the only way I can cope with morning exercise is a medium size breakfast (orange juice, coffee, 2 slices of bread) before, and a morning snack after (cup of tea, apple and a biscuit). And lunch 2 hours after that again

(Oh, and having a snack will give your hair time to dry :-)
    well put! a metabolism of a wood stove!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Thank you. My friends call it "feeding the monster"

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBelle View Post
    Is access to them a part of your lease?
    No, the finance manager (he has the contacts with the office landlord) looked into it since he also comes regularely to the office on a bicycle. But it was never mentioned anywhere, it was just something extra we never specifically paid/asked for. But he did manage to talk the landlord into installing a decent sink and warm water in one of the larger toilets. So when in need there is the possibility to wash yourself with a handcloth.

Quote Originally Posted by Offthegrid View Post
    Well, for me personally, it sort of depends on the time I spend on the bike. For just an hour, no then I don't to anything extra besides a normal bite to eat. For 2 hrs, yes I would eat well first, like a bowl of cereal or a stack of sandwitches. On longer rides (3+hrs) I would also add some food with me. And I normally prefer to eat my warm meal after the excersise ... it tastes much better then

My 'stove' (very well put lph we use a simular word in dutch) also burns high and fast. So I need to eat regularely to keep away the hunger. I watch what I eat but eat the quantity I feel that I need.