Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Baggies vs. Traditional Bike Shorts

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm a little too self-conscious to wear standard bike shorts on a 4-day ride I'm doing this June -- I've seen "baggies" and I wonder if they'd be really uncomfortable - has anyone tried baggy shorts? Will they bunch up? Will I be much sweatier at the end of the day? What do you think?

Thanks in advance for the input
    Jenna

baggie shorts

I'm wondering the same thing. I also wonder if there is as much padding as the traditional shorts. The other concern I have is will they cause friction as your leg moves with cycling. Any thoughts on that. I think other than those considerations, the baggie ones have my vote. I think they may be more comfortable although I am a novice at this.

baggies vs. traditional

Hi!
    Although I am a mtn. biker, I find that the women's shorts that have the built in chamois is the most comfortable. I find that they offer enough padding as well, they generally cover you up. The fit of them allows the functionality of a fitted short, yet doesn't show your hiney to all behind you.

I've ridden in both traditional Lycra & Baggie short. I believe if you look for the same things in a baggies, you'll get a short that your happy with.

I look for a Gusseted crotch with stretch if you can get it. On the outer shell, I like a fly so they go over the hips easy. I like them cut hi in the back so your crack doesn't show and I want the waistband to have adjustment

I like the liner to be mesh so it breaths and a good seemless pad that has inner thigh coverage.

I really like the look of the HIND "off the pavement" series. I got there "Bike Couier Capri's" and they fit great. They meet all my requirements and they have adjustment straps on the sides on the waist, pockets below thw hips on the outer legs and a 2 snap waist that doesn't roll down as well as other features.
    I haven't had a chance to wear them yet because it's still snowing here. The weather here in the pacific NW is damp, so it think they'll be a great choice. I think they have shorts too.
    Moochie

I'm glad to hear someone's tried those Bike Courier capris--I've been eyeing them hungrily and may now take the plunge.

Here's another idea re: the debate over baggies or tight bike shorts. What about capri length bike shorts? I've got a pair of Terry knickers that I just adore. They're still tight of course, just like traditional bike shorts, but the added length is much more flattering, at least on me. They may not be quite the thing as the season heats up, but they are made of a superwicking fabric called dryline, so I think they'll take me well into the summer. Just a thought.
    --J
    "Do I contradict myself? Very well, then, I contradict myself." --Walt Whitman

Lightbulb another option....

Yep - baggies interest me too! Haven't tried them yet but I've been told that, while they would be fine for commuting or shorter rides, they would not be comfortable for a longer bike tour. If you still want to try the baggies, I agree with Kona Girl to definitely look for a gusseted crotch! A seam there would be extremely painful at the end of a four-day ride!

Terry makes these skorts with attached bike shorts and a wrap that I really like, but I've never found them for less than $55+. If you can find and / or make a simple wrap skirt that won't get wrinkled up, you can ride with regular bike shorts and put on the skirt when you're off the bike. I kept my home-made one on the back of my bike (actually, it does fit in a jersey pocket!) for a week-long tour last year and it worked out really well. Plus, it was great for going out to eat at a decent hour on those days when I got in too late to change before dinner.

J** - I like the knicker idea!

Smile Yet another option...

I've seen the padded spandex shorts with attached baggies over the top. That may be your best option. You get the comfort of the the spandex and pad, with the cover of the baggier short over the top. The skort idea is also another one, but I haven't tried that.

Question padded with attached baggies

Where can I find padded shorts with attached baggies? Thanks in advance!

Bike Nashbar online used to sell Bellwether baggy shorts that I liked before I started wearing traditional bike shorts. They run a little large, so if you're in between sizes, you might want to order the smaller size. Also, when I got my first pair, they felt tighter than they should when I was pulling them up (elastic waist with drawstring), but they felt perfect once I had them all the way on. So make sure you give them a fair trial.

You may also be able to find baggy shorts with a bike shorts liner at other online sellers of cycling gear, like Performance, and I know Terry sells them too, although Terry's are constructed a little differently, with a waist closure that pulls across the front--I'm not crazy about that. Also check out The Touring Cyclist--I think they have the Bellwethers too.
    Good luck in your search.
    --J**
    "Do I contradict myself? Very well, then, I contradict myself." --Walt Whitman

Smile

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...=5&Sub_ID=1222

I checked and all of the loose fitting shorts on the page above have a chamois buit in.

I ride in the Terry Skorts often (you can get them on this site), the only compaint I have is that the short inside rides up uncomfortably sometimes.

I also use lycra skirts made for street wear over bike shorts, that works fine and I like the look.

And, finally, I have a pair of REI brand mountain bike baggy shorts with a built in chamois that are completely comfortable.

My friends also swear by the Terry capris.
    We are all of us in the gutter but some of us are looking up at stars

Thumbs up

hi, i am new here. i have some info. i really like the baggies from EMS $45. they are comfortable and have nice pockets.

Thumbs up

[i]Originally posted by Kona Girl
    :D I really like the look of the HIND "off the pavement" series. I got there "Bike Couier Capri's" and they fit great. They meet all my requirements and they have adjustment straps on the sides on the waist, pockets below thw hips on the outer legs and a 2 snap waist that doesn't roll down as well as other features.
    I haven't had a chance to wear them yet because it's still snowing here. The weather here in the pacific NW is damp, so it think they'll be a great choice. I think they have shorts too.
    Well I've put many miles on the HIND "Bike Couier Capri's" and I just love them!
    I hope HIND takes this idea and runs with it by creating a PANT as well.
    Now that Sugoi is not longer making the "Womans Conrad Part". The only other CO. I can find making a "Baggie Pant" now is Kona but they are $$. They dio appear to be as well thought out as the Mens pants though! I do feel like the Chicks are getting the short end of the stick on the Off road Clothing deal. ~ Kona Girl

I've tried several types of baggy shorts. The main problem I have is finding women's shorts, so I've tried 2 men’s shorts and 2 women's shorts. The men’s shorts just don't fit right. To get them to fit through the hips and butt, they end up being super big in the waist--so I can't keep them on.

I've tried the Fox women's baggies with the built in liner. The problem I have with them is that they are a little snug in the thigh--I have pretty muscular legs. The inner liner is also a little big in the waist, so I get a little too much breeze when riding downhill. They also make a lot of noise when peddling. But I do like wearing them and don't have problems with chaffing.

I've also tried the old Bellweather baggies. These are more comfortable than the Fox because they are looser in the legs. But as a result, they tend to ride up the thigh when I peddle. So when it's muddy I get a lot of chaffing against the seat. Because they are looser, if I fall on something gnarly they don't protect my legs.

So, when it’s a dry easy ride, I wear Bellweather. When it’s a technical, wet ride, I wear Fox. But I’m still looking for the perfect baggy short that looks good when off the bike, but still is functional on the bike.

Liz. I have the same issue with the leggs vs the waist that you do.
    I just got the Hind Utility Bike Shorts. They have a baggie stretch nylon short with a buckle belt system and a mesh liner. I got the Mediums so the legs where loose.
    I will try them this weekend and let you know what I think! They do look good off the bike!!
    Moochie