Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs up Baggies vs. Traditional Bike Shorts

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK Lis, I have tried the "Hind Utility Bike Shorts" and here's what I think....

I have the same muscular legs so I got the medium size for extra leg room. This made them roomier in the waist but they have a belt and clip buckle system that does well, but I did shorten the belt on mine. It does have wide belt loops like baseball pants and is made of the same stretch material as the shorts so the belt doesn't dig in. The belt only goes around each side then the waist changes to a covered elastic panel. This is go for some flex and to prevent gaps. I would like to see this be a touch higher in the back but it's not low or anything.

The shorts are on the shorter side, with the 5 inch inseam but it's seems to be fine. The stretch material & crotch gusset are wonderful! The built in Mesh liner & seemless pad were cool & comfy. It looks like it has a fly but it doesn't and I really don't miss that. Lot of pockets, stretch, good looks, functional, a pretty good short.

I have the Hind Courier Capri that I like as well.

Moochie

Unhappy Watch out!

I am just getting into road cycling and got a pair of baggy MTB shorts with a padded mesh liner. Quite comfortable, however... as I was mounting the bike once I caught the leg of my shorts on the rear of the seat and almost lost it! Since then I have been wearing the snug lycra shorts, although if you pay attention when mounting it shouldn't be a problem.

sometimes you have to watch the lycra shorts too! have had the chamois get caught on the seat, especially with all the up and down/ on and off in mountain biking!!
    All who joy would win must share it -- happiness was born a twin. (Byron)

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and very excited to have found it. I stumbled across it because I'm trying to find baggie shorts with gel padding. Anyone ever run across such a thing? I wear baggies out on the trail but traditional biking shorts with a gel cushion in spinning class.

Hi Annette,

Well, I don't know about shorts with gel on the inside but I've tried Terry shorts, Mt. Borah, Zoic and REI shorts and out of all of them, the REI Freeride shorts have been the best. They're not so baggy or long that they get caught on the saddle and the chamois is comfortable. They're also slippery enough that they don't stick to the saddle for those technical downhills. I think they're on sale right now at the REI web site.

Good Luck,
    Kristina

P.S. I just noticed your from Centreville- I live in the Burke/Fairfax area. Where do you ride? I usually ride at Wakefield but am trying to get my courage up to ride at Fountainhead.

Hi Kristina,

Thanks for the advice on the shorts. I'll definitely check them out.

Right now I have slick tires on my mountain bike and have pretty much just been riding the W&OD and Capital Crescent Trail. I have ridden Wakefield, Fountainhead and Whitetail Mountain when they had mountain biking there. I like Fountainhead. Other than a couple of scary (for me) spots it is a great ride. I've been thinking about putting the knobbies back on and going out there. If you're interested in a riding partner let me know.

Annette

I'd like that-hopefully I won't hold you back. I sent you a PM.