Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Top Mounted Brake Levers

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi -

How many of you use top mounted brake levers (MB brake levers mounted on the top flat section)?

If you use them, are they really useful? If so, in what circumstance (s)?

Thanks in advance!!

Do you actually mean mtb levers for flat bars or interrupter/cross levers like those in the link? Cross levers integrated with your drop bar levers.

http://www.canecreek.com/crosstop_lvr.html
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

aka Chicken Levers

I raced my first 3 seasons without them. I got them this season because I've been working with a skills coach who would like to see me spend more time on the tops (rather than the hoods or the drops). So far I really like them, although I occassionally have to remind myself to ride on the tops.

My theory is that those cross racers who come from a mtb background spend a lot more time on the tops. Those who come from a road background spend more time on the hoods and drops. My coach comes from a mtb background.

I like them and they're definitely useful. I've learned to be more comfortable (and more in control) on the tops during descents. I can be more stable with my hands closer to the stem. I've only done one race with them, so I'm still deciding whether or not they'll stay for a second season.

On thing I've noticed is that my bar isn't ideal for riding on the tops. I got the Salsa Bell Lap, which is a traditional cross bar. It's curved on the transistion from the tops to the hoods, so there's not enough room for me to do my mounts or dismounts comfortably from the tops without turning my wrist in an akward position.

Quote Originally Posted by velogirl View Post
    My theory is that those cross racers who come from a mtb background spend a lot more time on the tops. Those who come from a road background spend more time on the hoods and drops.
    That makes a lot of sense. I find that the portion of the bar I use depends very much on the surface I'm riding. When I'm on pavement, I use the hoods and drops and only reach for the chicken levers if I have to maneuver around pedestrians or cars. When I'm off-road, though, I spend most of my time on the hoods and the flats. The drops just aren't as comfortable on a rougher surface and I feel like I have less control if I hit a tree root or go through a mud puddle.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Cross levers

Hi VElo girl: I've been thinking of adding the levers to my cross bike for this season - thanks for the heads up on that bars - I have those Salsa bars on my bike as well.

I'll have to take a look around to see what to do

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    Do you actually mean mtb levers for flat bars or interrupter/cross levers like those in the link? Cross levers integrated with your drop bar levers.

http://www.canecreek.com/crosstop_lvr.html
    Thanks for the link. Yes, those are what I was talking about!