Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

LIVESTRONG question

To disable ads, please log-in.

So Sunday (Oct 8) is our Livestrong ride and since we'll be the last ones to take off (my husband hasn't trained and isn't comfortable trying for 40, so we're sticking to 10, sigh) here's my question.

They say opening ceremonies are at 7 a.m., and get there early to find a place to park, etc. Our ride doesn't start until 9:30.

Is it worth it to get there that early and wait for the ride, or would we be better served to not rush to make the ceremony?

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

Our ride started at a local college, and though there was a gracious amount of parking, it still filled up awfully quickly. We got there very early as one of our friends was doing support for the ride, but a lot of other people that we know missed the start because they were trying to get to the site. I don't think you need to be there at 6:00 like we were , but I would suggest not cutting it too close if you are planning to park at the site. Hope that helps!
    ~Sarah~

Check out My Team: Sturdy Girl Cycling

Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live. -Mark Twain

Pooks, this ride is a big deal for you, right? Then you should get there for the ceremoney. It'll probably be very moving. I assume you've raised money for this event and you should be proud of that. Once the ceremony is over, kick back, relax, have a beverage, and ride out when you're ready.

Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by velogirl View Post
    Pooks, this ride is a big deal for you, right? Then you should get there for the ceremoney. It'll probably be very moving. I assume you've raised money for this event and you should be proud of that. Once the ceremony is over, kick back, relax, have a beverage, and ride out when you're ready.

Congratulations!
    Right on, Velogirl....I was going to add something like this, too...

I was originally signed up to do the ride because a good friend of mine didn't want to do it alone. I must admit that the time before the race was really inspiring. It was pretty impressive to see and listen to all of the survivors and battlers of cancer as they prepared to ride their bikes, just like me. I have told everyone that knew I was doing the ride just how incredible it was to meet and speak to so many courageous people. My attitude really changed from someone who was doing the ride to support a friend to someone who was doing the ride to support as many people as I could. Sorry to get all mushy...but it's true!!!
    ~Sarah~

Check out My Team: Sturdy Girl Cycling

Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live. -Mark Twain

Kitsune06 Guest
    Yeah, you'll want to be there for the opening. The 40ers don't head out much before the 10-ers... and the opening goes on awhile. As it was in Portland, I tried to time it so I was there just in time for the opening and found myself sitting in the exit off I-5 for about 20 minutes because the entire exit (and streets leading up, etc) had become a parking lot. I'd never seen so many vans/trucks/cars with bikes in/on them in my life all heading to the same place. Amazing. Yeah, get there a little early. You'll be glad you did. Good luck, Pooks! Remember: there are no small rides, just small riders.

I'm definitely not a small rider. LOL

Okay, we'll head down early I'm sure. Because that's just the Way We Are. (Or at least the way He is, always up early anyway.)

Hey Pooks, did you post about your ride and I missed it?

How was it? Did you get pictures?
    Donna

Thank you for asking.

Last Friday evening my husband found his mom unconcious (sp?) and we've been pretty much living at the hospital since, although she's awake now. They are trying to figure out what's wrong.

We missed the Livestrong event and I have been mentally composing emails/blog entry explaining that to all the generous people who supported us -- but so far haven't put a word to keyboard (except for now, this post).

Sigh.

Oh, pooks, I am so sorry about your mother in law, and I am so sorry that you missed your ride. I hope your mother in law is okay.

Thanks -- I appreciate it.

I just found out I don't have to be at the hospital until later so am about to go out and ride. Silver linings, and all that!

I am sure everyone will understand. Their money went to a worthy cause whether you rode or not. I am sorry that you had to miss the event, I know you were really excited. I hope your DH's mom gets better soon. Enjoy your ride.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Kitsune06 Guest
    *hug* It's okay, Pooks. The greatest of plans can fail when unexpected events occur. The fund raising is the hardest part- the ride is really the icing on the cake. Your riding in the event wouldn't help anyone- but your contribution, the time spent collecting donations, that's where the real difference was made. And on top of that, you can be there for DH and his mom. All around, you're doing good things, Pooks. If people can't understand that, they're not really worth talking to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune06 View Post
    *hug* It's okay, Pooks. The greatest of plans can fail when unexpected events occur. The fund raising is the hardest part- the ride is really the icing on the cake. Your riding in the event wouldn't help anyone- but your contribution, the time spent collecting donations, that's where the real difference was made. And on top of that, you can be there for DH and his mom. All around, you're doing good things, Pooks. If people can't understand that, they're not really worth talking to.

It can't be said any better than that!
    Hope she's ok Pooks and don't forget to take care of yourselves as well.
    Oh, that's gonna bruise...
    Only the suppressed word is dangerous. ~Ludwig Börne

I'm sooo sorry about your MIL, I hope she is okay and they find and are able to fix whatever the problem is.
    I understand this more than you know. My DH found his mother lyeing (sp) outside on her front steps last summer in the heat. She was dilireous, sunburnt and we are just lucky that she had hurt her back a couple of days before which is the only reason my DH was going up to check on her that day or no telling how long she would have been there.

Anyway, things happen that you cannot help and I am quite sure everyone that supported you will totally understand.

Thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Donna

Thanks, all. She's doing much better today/tonight, and even though I'm seriously bummed about missing the ride, things could have been much worse for us today.