Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by kelownagirl View Post
    I'm still working on getting my water bottle out of the holder, drinking, and putting it back while riding.
    I can do this now!!! But only if I am going real slow, on a straight stretch, and ONLY with my left hand. Even tho I am right handed I feel very wobbly trying to go for the bottle with my right hand.

I have so much to learn.
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

This is an aside, but I want to share:

I was driving home the other day during rush hour and I get to this intersection where a bike is in the left lane (going to turn left), waiting for the light to change. It's a little bit uphill there, and this guy is clipped in, at one of the busiest intersections around, standing up, COMPLETELY STILL, just chilling. Bike wheel turned a little left, butt sticking up in the air, no wobbles, no rocking the wheel around, no slow crawl forward. Completely still. Light changes, off he goes. I hate him....only because I want to be him.

I can't begin to phathom that kind of balance....... only in my dreams.
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

Quote Originally Posted by aicabsolut View Post
    This is an aside, but I want to share:

I was driving home the other day during rush hour and I get to this intersection where a bike is in the left lane (going to turn left), waiting for the light to change. It's a little bit uphill there, and this guy is clipped in, at one of the busiest intersections around, standing up, COMPLETELY STILL, just chilling. Bike wheel turned a little left, butt sticking up in the air, no wobbles, no rocking the wheel around, no slow crawl forward. Completely still. Light changes, off he goes. I hate him....only because I want to be him.
    I want to master track stands...only because I'm so lazy that it would save me from unclipping.

Pssst...

SK and AG... you guys crack me up!!!

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

No man's wisdom extends beyond his experience...

I've been thinking about this thread for awhile.

These are changes I've noticed in my riding over the years.

Snot Rockets - at first I would stop every 10 minutes and blow my nose with a tissue. That got old, so with Thom's encouragement I started doing snot rockets. At first, I'd get it all over me, and I'd have to coast to do it. Then I mastered the technique, but still needed to coast. Now, I can maintain whatever speed I'm at and generally it goes where it is supposed to.

Water Bottle Reach - at first I would need to coast and look at the bottle. Then it became coast and grab the bottle w/o looking. Now it is keep pedaling and grab the bottle.

Descents - the first time I took a corner faster than I wanted to on a descent was eye opening. Nothing bad happened! And I just sort of took off from there. I'm cautious on roads I don't know. But I don't ride the brakes. And I can't really explain what I do. I know I look through the corner as far as I can. I use most of the lane if I am doing the speed limit (or exceeding it!) Almost passed another motorcycle today. I try to NEVER go out of my lane on a descent. The motorcycle did. I'm not perfect and it happens sometimes. I learn from the mistakes. I haven't crashed yet.

Brake Quick Release - The first time this didn't get closed, I stopped and had to think about what could be wrong. Today when I realized it was open, I reached forward as I was riding and closed it. I just knew that was why I had no front brake.

Tool Usage - I am often by myself in the middle of nowhere. I never considered myself especially mechanically inclined. The day I broke my front derailleur, Thom was home and could come pick me up. But before he got to me, I had almost completely removed the broken derailleur. Why? because if he hadn't been home, I'd have been stuck ten miles from home with the choice of walk or find a fix.

I know I tend to reflect on my rides, both on what was good and what was not so good. I didn't get here by reading a book or someone telling me what to do in various situations. Every mile I ride adds to my wisdom.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

You're a very wise woman, Veronica.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by CyclChyk View Post
    I can do this now!!! But only if I am going real slow, on a straight stretch, and ONLY with my left hand. Even tho I am right handed I feel very wobbly trying to go for the bottle with my right hand.

I have so much to learn.
    You're supposed to do it while riding backwards.

Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh lisalisa - what are you trying to do to me girl??

I like your advice of "just do it!" MUCH better!

Oh and are SNOT ROCKETS what I think they are ???? My god it would be all over my face!
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

Ah, we finally get to the guts of this discussion. Thanks for putting it so well, Veronica.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    No man's wisdom extends beyond his experience...

... Every mile I ride adds to my wisdom.
    To learn new skills, we have to put ourselves in the situation to learn and be willing to try. Those of us who don't ride with a group often aren't going to learn group-riding skills, even though we may be very skilled riders otherwise. I can't do trackstands because I've never bothered to go out and practice (there's no guarantee I'd learn if I practiced, but I certainly won't learn if I don't try). Some things we pick up through years of riding, like grabbing the water bottle while pedaling or high-speed pot-hole avoidance, but other things (maybe snot-rockets) take more conscious effort. I've never learned the snot-rocket, so it either goes on my gloves or I pull a bandana from my pocket and wipe while riding. I can put a gloved hand on my front tire to remove road debris if something gets stuck on the tire. But I'm not skilled at 50 mph descents because I never ride hills long enough to hit that speed. I do think that maybe those of us who started riding in the 70s and 80s had a learning edge over those who start riding now, because with downtube shifters you were forced to take either hand off the bar frequently so you immediately got comfortable riding one-handed either side.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Re Water Bottles: are we talking about a) taking them out of our WB holders while riding or b) picking them up off the ground while riding by?

I've been out trying to pick them up off the ground while riding by -- gonna take a lot more practice for that and that's on a "girl's" bike w/ dropped top tube. Don't even think I'll practice it with a regular top tube.

So, real question is, how can I get five-year's experience in six months?

Quote Originally Posted by BeeLady View Post
    So, real question is, how can I get five-year's experience in six months?
    THIS is why the article was so interesting! The guy (Jeremy) needed to learn quick...otherwise, he was a danger to himself and his fellow riders. I think that for most of us, it doesn't happen so quickly...so we have time to develop our skills at a normal pace. How many women (or men, for that matter) decide to start riding and within 3 months are riding with the 'A' riders at a pace of 20mph? I'm guessing not many! Yes, they are out there and those are the people that need to develop their skills at an accelerated pace (steeply...like SK said!). The rest of us can work on it as we build up our miles.

And seriously, for those of you wondering...don't let the inability to pick a water bottle off the ground keep you from riding on the roads or with a group! Just pick a group that suits your pace/skill level. I'm a solid intermediate rider and I cannot pick up a bottle from the groud. I would not join an advanced group ride not just because the fear of being dropped (which really doesn't bother me) but more because I'm not skilled enough to hang with a paceline at 25 mph. I want to develop better handling skills because I want to race one day, but until that day, I'm sure as hell going to do what I can to improve on my own.

Good points GLC - I'm sure not a threat to any 25 mph pace line.

A skill I would like to improve is no hands while in my clips (which I would never do around any other rider!). Made progress today but have to be on smooth pavement and start with feet in 3 and 9 position, get balanced and only then can I pedal. Use to be able to do this easily in the 70s, but then wasnt clipless (nor did I use clips).

I still haven't gotten endos for my flat bar and my hands get numb after awhile so this to me is more necessary than picking up a water bottle from the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    But, steering with your hips -- you're probably doing that unconsciously, like I discovered when I paid attention after reading that earlier today!
    Karen in Boise
    ummmm unconsciously?
    I surely hope not - that could be REALLY dangerous. Of course if you are unconscious, I hope that something is steering you (the hips will do).
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    John Lennon, "Beautiful Boy"

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    And seriously, for those of you wondering...don't let the inability to pick a water bottle off the ground keep you from riding on the roads or with a group! Just pick a group that suits your pace/skill level. I'm a solid intermediate rider and I cannot pick up a bottle from the groud. I would not join an advanced group ride not just because the fear of being dropped (which really doesn't bother me) but more because I'm not skilled enough to hang with a paceline at 25 mph. I want to develop better handling skills because I want to race one day, but until that day, I'm sure as hell going to do what I can to improve on my own.
    Most certainly I agree. I am not letting my inability to do all kinds of things keep me from riding, nor should anyone else. I am just realizing that I don't know what I don't know... and this article made me think about it, as of course has this board. My 3rd group ride ever was with oh, 4000 others give or take, and in hindsight I learned a lot on that ride. I knew it'd be a lot of people and so I rode pretty defensively anyway, but I learned a lot just by watching others and being out in the masses. Maybe that level of immersion training isn't the best idea, but it's what I did and now group riding seems pretty manageable whether its 3 or 100. (Well, except pacelines and formations, that's another level).

All these answers have given me ideas though. I have never done parking lot drills and it sounds like a great idea - the zigzag, the braking, the figure 8s, all of it. Sure, most of you stumbled upon these things through riding a lot, but by your telling me I can have some ideas of things to try that will help my cycling without having to stumble upon all of it. I will probably try some of this on my old sturdy mtn bike, first, then progress to the road bike.

I'm sure I'll still make my own discoveries too, and I won't come back and say "hey how come none of you ever told me about <XYZ>." I realize that's not how it works. But the fun part is sharing the knowledge, so I appreciate all the input that's come out in the thread.