Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Smile Over halfway there!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, I have passed the halfway mark in my treatment for my pulmonary emboli! Three more months and I can come off the anticoagulants and start riding again. (I can't ride while on anticoagulants because of the risk of cerebral hemorrhage - a bad thing - if I fall. However, I can spin on a stationary bike, run, hike, whatever else, as long as there's no big risk of head injury. If I fall while running, I will bleed more than a normal person would, but I probably won't die.)

Yay! (I hope - things can always change, but right now the indicators are good.)

I've noticed a fair amount of hair loss in the last few weeks - Velogirl had warned me about this. It is a side effect of the Coumadin I am on (which is literally rat poison.) Fortunately, I have a lot of hair!

I also have secondary pulmonary hypertension - high pulmonary artery pressure caused by the blood being pumped out of the heart meeting up with the resistance of the clots. I had a second echocardiogram a week or so ago and the PA pressure was much better than it was in the hospital (but still high), which indicates the clots are getting smaller. Yay!

Since I can't run, and I am sort of a freak anyway, I am doing the Nike Women's Marathon on 10/22. I decided to do this about six weeks ago and to raise money for Leukemia/Lymphoma Society after having dinner with a leukemia patient friend of mine who went through a really rough time over the winter and spring and is now much better (again, yay) and I decided, well, heck he's gone through such a hard time, I have to get off my butt and do SOMETHING. Raising money for the cause always picks up my spirits.

My doctor said with the pulmonary artery pressure issue that I might have less endurance than I otherwise would. This was after I told her about the marathon and she looked at me as if I'd started speaking Chinese to her. I haven't noticed a loss of endurance - but I'm keeping my exercise intensity level lower than before.

So that's my story.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I noticed the blue toe nails (the naturally caused ones) aren't mentioned here. Are you running during the week now or just being a weekend warrior?

What's after the marathon? What can we do to keep you on the straight and narrow, and entertained to while away the time?
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Clean forgot about the toes! Yeah, I've lost 2 toenails. Must be a side effect of the anti-coags (easier bruising) because in 15 years of running and 3 marathons before this I never lost a toenail. SK keeps me honest!

After the marathon? MWBR. Maybe I'll swim the English Channel. No more chocolate factory tours, though, I can tell you!!
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

just don't something really insane to celebrate, like riding you bike up Glendora Mountain Road (who, me?) Although it sound like you're already there.....

Wonderful news! I would tell you to try and take it easy, but it does not sound as though you will. You are my inspiration. I just may have the courage to tell my neurologist on the 18th that I plan to train for a triathlon.

I am looking into marathons or I do not know, something around here to keep me busy. My new meds make my BP so low I feel faint, which is not so good on a bike. Oh the joys of trying to keep the vessels in my brain happy.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    Clean forgot about the toes! Yeah, I've lost 2 toenails. Must be a side effect of the anti-coags (easier bruising) because in 15 years of running and 3 marathons before this I never lost a toenail. SK keeps me honest!

After the marathon? MWBR. Maybe I'll swim the English Channel. No more chocolate factory tours, though, I can tell you!!
    "MWBR"?
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    John Lennon, "Beautiful Boy"

Hey Sarah,

I was wondering when you could get back on the bike. Good to see your at the halfway point.

Deanna
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym." -- Bill Nye

Quote Originally Posted by cherinyc View Post
    "MWBR"?
    Sorry! It's a Lise-ism: "more will be revealed".
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

Wow, that's super. Your attitude is great and your New Year "gift" will be getting back on the bike again. Sending lots of good thoughts your way!

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Wow. Half way through. I hope it's the reverse of a marathon, and the second half is easier! I salute your spirit. You really are an inspiration. Once again, I am honored to be among the strong, brave, funny women of TE!

I had no idea that Coumadin was rat poison. I don't think I want to know anymore. LALALALA! Fingers in ears!

Hmmm. Losing nails. Gross. Hasn't happened to me yet.

Have you read Lynne Cox's book, Swimming to Antarctica? She holds (held?) the record for being the youngest person to swim the English Channel at age 14. Incredible stories. The book blurb says, "She's Lance Armstrong with body fat!" She really is amazing.

Thanks for posting your TNT link.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

glad to hear things are looking up. keep your chin up and glad to hear the end is nearing.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

Aren't pretty much all anti-coagulants rat poison derivatives?

I hope things continue to progress well and you are indeed back on the bike at last in the New Year.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Woohooo... the time will go fast. January is almost here... really. I'm so happy that things are looking up.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Halfway! yay! The holidays will make the time go faster!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Hey there mallio, my thoughts continue to be with you
    Glad to hear you are half way through - and tomorrow it will be that much closer to 2/3 of the way through.

Chin up, 3 is not such a big number, and the time will pass...

Wishing you wellness and light

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".