Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Shoe Preference

Shoe Preference

To disable ads, please log-in.

Moving this into a new thread so it's easier for folks to find for future reference.

This from spokewrench:

Yep - it is drifting into shoes - Sidi dominator (I think that is what they call them)- and no other! I love these shoes, they fit well, they are stiff - I can still run in them, they have really good tread underneath - (if it is not all worn off like the pair I have now) - and the downside is they are very pricey (BUT they last a long time for me) I have to go buy a new pair and I'm dreading spending the money - but I will

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...t=10665&page=2

I'm a Sidi Girl Too!

I'm a big fan of Sidi shoes -- road and mtn. I've got Dominators for cyclocross (and mtn biking). Here are the things that I like for cross (and what you should look for if you're getting new shoes):

Mucho Adjustability -- you can keep them loose in the toe bed and tighter in the heel -- good for running. I typically tighten my shoes more for races than I do for riding. I have very small ankles, so it's important to find a shoe that tightens really small at the ankle. There's nothing worse than losing a shoe at the bottom of a mud pit.

Big Tread -- the tread for cyclocross is extremely important since you'll be running on a variety of surfaces. The big tread on Sidi's is great. Unfortunately, even good shoes probably won't shed mud very well.

Spikes -- holes for spikes are key if you've got any uphill or downhill running. Ideally you can remove the spikes depending on the course. Most soes don't come with spikes so you have to purchase them separately.

Weight -- lighter is better when you have to run with them.

Material & Construction -- I want a rock solid shoe that won't fall apart when it gets wet, muddy, etc. Finding material that's a bit water resistant is important too. Canvas, cloth, or felt shoes just won't cut it.

Sole -- you want something that's not too stiff to run, yet stiff enough to transfer optimal power to the pedals.

Definitely

I have looked at a bunch of shoes, but Sidi seems to offer everything. Thanks for the shim advice, Velo and I feel your pain, Spokewench, as I am watching money pouring out to cover this new addiction.... Someone else talked about Diadora, but I didn't find that they had the "flexible stiffness" that you need for cross and they also didn't seem like they would hold up that well, so in the end, you would be spending more money to buy shoes more often.

But I know that one of the keys is going to be shoes - you have to run, hop, ride, and fall in them - So money out now and hopefully they will last awhile. Bikehubby swears by his Sidis - he won't use anything else.

So, pedals down, shoes down......what's next?
    The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew--and live through it.