Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Favorite tights for NW winter riding?

To disable ads, please log-in.

For the last two years, I've ridden through the winters here in Seattle by wearing waterproof rain pants over knickers. I would like to switch to tights over those knickers. I usually ride anywhere from 30-55 miles so really want some tights that are as warm and water resistant as possible. Since I have knickers with a chamois I really like, I'm looking at tights without chamois to put over the knickers. Do any of you guys who ride for several hours in rain at 30-50 degrees have any favorites? I am about to try the Sugoi Firewall tights but want to hear about any others you really like. Thanks!
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Salsabike - I think Veronica has a pair of the Firewalls and if I recall correctly, is pretty happy with them. They really are a very nice tight and perfect for our NW weather. One of the gals here in the office has a pair as well (though offhand I can't remember if it's Molly or Renata) and says they are quite warm.

I ride in these alot: http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=11618 (these are an '05 item and we only have limited sizing left.) Not waterproof, but very resistant, so toasty and completely windproof. They're a great commuter tight. The '06 version is this one: http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=22275 They've added splash panels on the butt and the back of the legs.

http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=16644 These are awesome too (I think Abra, one of our customer service gals, rides in a pair of these in winter). A second front panel is windproof and amazingly weather resistant. Nicely articulated knees. We've just received another batch in inventory today, but it'll be a day or so until they're all online.

Generally tights will never be as waterproof as a pair of true rain pants, but by buying a tight you can still get great weather resistance and warmth without the fullness of a pant. I find I don't really need fully waterproof, as long as I'm warm and not out for hours on end. So for commuting and sub-2-hour winter rides, any one of these tights works for me. For really long rides, or bike touring, though, I'll go for fully waterproof pants.

Hope this helps.

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

I adore my Shebeest Wind Pro tights.
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=2499

They aren't super form fitting but aren't tight either. The fronts are windproof. I've never tested them in the rain. They seem to do well with our heavy fogs. I wear then over shorts down to about 35-40 degrees for night time rides of up to 2 hours. I think they'd pull over knickers very easily for even extra warmth.

My original review:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...hebeest+tights

Maybe Susan can tell us whether these are as warm as the ones she posted. They're pretty heavy.
    Last edited by SadieKate; 10-04-2006 at 08:16 PM.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I have the Sugoi Firewall tights and used them to ride through winter here in Grass Valley. Not sure how my winter compares to yours but they kept me pretty comfy in the rain and cold.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    I adore my Shebeest Wind Pro tights.
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=2499

They aren't super form fitting but aren't tight either. The fronts are windproof. I've never tested them in the rain. They seem to do well with our heavy fogs. I wear then over shorts down to about 35-40 degrees for night time rides of up to 2 hours. I think they'd pull over knickers very easily for even extra warmth.

My original review:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...hebeest+tights

Maybe Susan can tell us whether these are as warm as the ones she posted. They're pretty heavy.

I have both the SportHill Pursuit and the Shebeest Windpro- (both are non-chamois, with ankle zippers). I can do a comparison for you:

The Windpro front thigh panels are semi-waterproof. Rain beads up on them for a long time and the beads tend to blow off without absorbing. But eventually they DO get wet if you're out in the rain long enough, at least in drizzle they did. They are warm, with a fuzzy llining. They fit more like thick tights than pants. They are sleek and form fitting.
    The SH Pursuits are being made in a new style now, but I have the old ones that still are available in some sizes on TE. They are warm too, and heavier fabric than the Windpros, but not in a fuzzy way. They are a nice dense stretchy fabric, very well made. They fit beautifully, like a hyrid between form-fitting pants and tights. I haven't tried them in the rain yet, but they sure keep the cold out. Their *slightly*more pantlike fit allows you to more easily put other stretch tights under them such as Underarmour or a chamois short or capri. Of the two, I like the Sporthill Pursuit better. I wouldn't hesistate to try their new style. I think they will last a long time. I am pearshaped, 5'5" 140 lbs, and both tights fit me nicely in size Medium.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I tend not to ride in the rain, but maybe this option will help...

My winter tights of choice are REI's Power Stretch Tights (http://www.rei.com/product/48032737.htm). I wear them over a pair of bike shorts. The outside of the fabric is smooth, the inside is fuzzy. While they are not waterproof, light rain/snow tends to run off, and my legs have stayed pretty dry.

If I'm caught in the rain (or decide to break my own rules about starting out in the rain), I picked up an as yet to be tested layer that looks very interesting: http://www.rainlegs.co.uk/. At the time I bought mine, they were not yet available in the US (and I think that's still the case), but shipping from the UK was fast (I had them in 3 days) and surprised me by ending up in my mailbox without any customs due.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

I really like my PI AmFib tights. In addition to the wind/water resistant front, it also has a nice booty panel in the back for the "honestly, I swear I didn't just crap my pants" mud stripe.

More importantly for me and my shortwaisted torso - the AmFib tights are nicely scooped down in the front. Similar to the way the Sugar shorts/knickers are dipped down. The back is nice and high. When you're in position on the bike it's perfect. (I usually end up having to roll the waistband down a few turns on other tights because the waistband cuts into my digestion.)

I mainly like these tights for cold and dry weather, or for light precipitation shorter rides. For real rain, just get waterproof rainpants to put over shorts/tights.

I am absolutely in love with my Pearl Izumi tights. I can't find the exct name as I have them at home, but they are two different fabrics. The front it a windbreaker/waterproof fabric. Then the back is a lighter weight, regular tight fabric. They are wonderful!!!! Especially on longer rides where you want to block the wind and rain, but not sweat your butt off becuase you can still breath through the back.

Sorry I can't provide a link, but I got my last two pair from performance bike.

Roshelle from Milwaukee

I can second (or third...) the AmFib recommendation. I cannot wear them if it is *above* 45. They're super warm, and very nice.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Jeff wears Amfibs in the winter and loves 'em. I've never tried a pair but they sure do have nice features. I DO have a pair of the Thermafleece Cycling Tights, though. Thermafleece is the fleecy fabric used in the Amfibs. Then, the Amfib Tight adds another layer on the front of the windblocking, water-resistant fabric (the amfib fabric). Thermafleece is VERY nice and warm. I don't wear those tights over 55, and actually prefer it to be a bit cooler, like sub 50 before I wear them, otherwise I get a bit too warm.

So, yet another good option.

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

If Ibex made these in women's sizes, I'd be alllllll over them!

http://www.ibexwear.com/F06/View_Pro...&CategoryLine=

I should send 'em a nice little note, "oh, please pretty please with sugar on top MAKE THESE DARN THINGS IN WOMEN'S SIZES!!!!! NOWWWWW!!!"

With pretty butterfliesa and fairies and hearts on the stationery.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

You guys are a huge help----thank you. I plan to start with the Sugoi Firewall, now winging its way from TE, and work my way through the others if necessary. I do ride in the rain for several hours at a clip (so to speak--OK, sorry), so would like to make it bearable without the slippery rain pants. Will let you know how it all goes.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Talking Te - Amazing Fast Shipping!!!

I ordered a pair of "Terry Coolweather Tights" from TE on Wednesday, October 4th, around 6pm EST..... Talk about fast shipping --- I received them today, October 6th @ 1pm EST!!

I haven't tried them on yet....but, just wanted to say (again & again), "TE is really the best"

Peace & Love to all,

Denise

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals".
    Immanuel Kant

The Amfib tights are super warm, but the pair I have do not have chamois. Also, they seemed to be cut a bit smaller than usual for PI--it's just me, but I really didn't like them. I prefer to double up---either tights or knickers with chamois paired with leg warmers when it's really cold.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

i'll put another vote in for the PI AmFIB tights. as extreme weather as i bike in out here, they are great for wind and water weather. love 'em.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.