Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Smile My first metric century! (Plus some)

To disable ads, please log-in.

First of all I would like to say my heart, thoughts and prayers go out to the cyclist's family that was killed in this weekend's Pumpkin Ride in Evansville, IN. I too was on this ride. As a beginner cyclist, it really made me think about the dangers we face everytime we ride.

On a lighter note, I did enjoy my ride. But, as a first timer, I missed a turn and ended up doing 80 miles instead of 65! (LOL) It was a great feeling to find out I can do 80! I'm looking forward to the hilly hundred next weekend!

I had not heard about what happened. It sounds horrible.

I am glad you got through and enjoyed the extra mileage! Good luck with this weekend, obviously you are ready!

http://www.courierpress.com/news/200...-pumpkin-ride/

I am so *^&*()( sick of drivers saying "oops! Sorry, didn't see you!" or "oops! I was busy downloading ringtones! Sorry you're dead!"

Our State's Attorney has decided that well, just not paying attention and swerving off the road and killing somebody isn't really *that* bad... we have to expect these things. Our local driver who was downloading ringtones and killed a cyclist in Sept. is still going to be out there, driving... oh, with another ticket (she already had three... in 17 months...).

They should at least have to drive a vehicle emblazoned with "CAUTION: THIS DRIVER IS DEADLY."

(many commenters said "this was an ACCIDENT. It's a hilly road. I'm sorry, there are simply TOO MANY of them to write off and say "oh, it's a pity, but move on!" I don't want to draw and quarter anybody, either...)
    Last edited by Geonz; 10-04-2006 at 07:37 AM.

I hear ya Sue. We had somebody killed here this week. Apparently he was struck by a cop.

Angry Rant...

Well, our states attorney said that under the law, just killing somebody is a petty offense, and if we have a problem withthat we need to take it up with our legislators. SHe made no indications that she had a problem with it, and stressed that there just wasn't "enough" disregard for the safety of others. It's funny, strike a highway worker and you go to jail. You didn't have to intend to. Driving over that alcohol limit - forget your license, and you not only didn't have to *intend* to harm anybody, you don't even have to have harmed anybody. Just have the chance of doing it, you're losing your license. Yet consistently, when a cyclist is killed, little or NOTHING happens to the driver; it's "a tragic accident" - but nobody has to take responsibility, even when they have made consciousl choices to download flogging ringtones while riding. I'm sorry, that was a conscious act, and it was exactly, precisely DISREGARDING human safety. Disregard means NOT regarding; look it up in your Funk & Wagnalls, lady... doesn't mean deciding "I want to kill somebody."
    At the same time, I know that having killed somebody is a horrible thing, too... I save space for the driver too. How many times has she seen others do the same thing, has she done the same thing, wiht no consequences (well, except the three tickets she already had in less than two years). She at least got an "improper use of lane" ticket, though... the guy who killed Jan Briese didn't even get a slap on the wrist. Nothing.