Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

BTW, many of you are referring to pedal preferences for mtn bikes. While you can race a mtn bike in a cross race, I think everyone realizes we're discussing pedal preferences for racing cyclocross, right? The technical demands of pedals are different if you're just trail riding versus racing where you need to dismount, run, mount, etc.

Whew!

Wanted to add pink? Ok, confession time.....I finally decided on Candys because I could get a cool color (set off my ORANGE Lemond) .....notwithstanding the fact that I liked the pedals and they looked like they would give me what I need. AND, I am leaning toward a Sidi shoe (the ones I use for Mtn biking just aren't sturdy, yet supple enough for running), and I have decided on Puffs for my Kleenex choice!

Oh, and Velo, the release angles for the Candys are 15 and 20 degrees (wow, for being off the top of your head, you were wicked close)-

Thanks, everyone, for your input! As hubby says, if you can't go fast, you need to look good..... And Velo, if you don't fall a lot, how do you know how fast you can go?? (another one of bikehubby's sayings: You never know how fast you can go until you wreck.... He is just quite the Bike Confucious, I know.)

I was hoping to have everything set up for the races at Glouster this weekend, but it isn't going to happen, so i am off to Bikereg.com to find another race.... Am I too old for this?????

Thanks, everyone!!
    The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew--and live through it.

Hi Velogirl

Yes, I use the same pedals for mountain biking as for cyclocross - works just fine i get on and off better than most ????

Telegirl -- here's a suggestion for the Candy/Sidi combination. Use the little shim under the cleat. Because of the large cut-out on the Sidi's, the Candy cleeat can gouge down into the material on the bottom of the shoe and then it's harder to clip out. I was having troubles and the Crank Bros folks told me to do this -- no more troubles.

BTW, I always say "If you can't be fast, you can be flash." I love white on my road bike -- shoes, gloves, saddle, bar tape, etc. Makes me look (and feel) fast.

Spokewrench -- I think most folks use the same pedal systems for mtn & cross. Makes sense -- you can use the same pair of shoes/cleats. I guess what I was trying to say is that a pedal that you love for mtn biking or trail riding might not cut it for cross racing because of the additional demands of getting on/off the bike and also spending more time with your feet on the ground.

I feel this thread drifting into a conversation about shoes.....anyone want to begin?

Velo Girl

Yep - it is drifting into shoes - Sidi dominator (I think that is what they call them)- and no other! I love these shoes, they fit well, they are stiff - I can still run in them, they have really good tread underneath - (if it is not all worn off like the pair I have now) - and the downside is they are very pricey (BUT they last a long time for me) I have to go buy a new pair and I'm dreading spending the money - but I will