Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

NZ National Road Race Championships

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK... so this is in Palmerston in the South Island, just north of Dunedin and south of Christchurch, 19-22 October 2006

Any other TE gals gonna be there?

I have my partner and two oldest boys competing in the RRs and the TTs.

We will be travelling in a van towing a big
    yellow trailor - come over and say hi if you spot us.
    Last edited by RoadRaven; 10-02-2006 at 08:33 AM.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Hey Raven

Sounds like fun, but I won't be there. Good luck to the men in your life

Palmerston is lovely.
    Have a great time and good luck to The Boys!

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

What Kiwi? You live in Christchurch and you are not zipping down to watch even one of the races?

Its Labour Weekend... c'mon... or are you off elsewhere to take advantage of the loooong weekend?

I'm hopeful Sarah Ulmer will be there - I assume she will be... I'd love to see her race in person.

Hey there Margo... trust all is quiet in your corner of Israel... I've only ever been to Christchurch and Picton, same with partner, and kids have never been there. So we are driving down, taking a few days to get to Palmerston (have booked a crib in Karitane for 5 days) and then taking time to cross over via Dunedin and Wanaka and come up the west coast... really looking forward to it and have LOADS of film for my SLR and extra memory cards for my daughters digital camera.

Very excited now... so close!!!

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,

What a trip!

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

Well, this will be my last post here for a while.

I have 3 1/2 days of solid teaching, half a day to organise classes for when I get back, and then off for over two weeks to the South Island (yes, it is called the "South Island" and guess where I live??? You guessed it... the North Island!)

The Road Cycling Nationals start next week, so I'm outta here on Friday - will be back in a couple of weeks... will post some pix if I catch anything kewl on cam for y'all.

Have fun!!!

THiya... we're back
    Wow... lived in this country for all my life and never taken a proper look at the South Island... some stunning beaches, some incredible rainforest and wetlands... I havta havta havta go back!!!

Our club was well represented in the Nationals, and despite some top 5, and top 10 finishes, we didn't bring home much in the way of placings/medals.

However, we had alot of young riders down there, and it was a great experience for all of them to ride with other top riders (or "up and coming") from around the country. This includes my sons, who are both looking forward to next years competition when they will be the oldest in their grades (as opposed to being in the younger half this year) - they will be that much stronger, and with more miles in their legs.

Though my partner was disappointed, he did get a top placing in the TT, though not fast enough to get a medal.

I hope to get focused training in and slowly build toward the 2007 nationals, and if I am fast enough not to disgrace myself (LOL - or embarrass the club!), I'll have a go in the TT next year.

But the beaches and the country of the South Island... kids were thrilled to see fur seals wild on the beaches, Little Blue penguins in their burrows, Royal Albatrosses (the kids called them albatri) flying over head and weka being incredibly cheeky. A great trip, and with my oldest at 18 1/2 and just about to finish school, this is possibly the last time we will all be on holiday together as just the seven of us, all together. Some great memories and about 1000 rolls of film!!!

Now... to try and catch up on what has been going on here!
    Last edited by RoadRaven; 10-28-2006 at 04:26 PM.

Hey Raven

Pleased to hear you had a great trip down this way.

Just out of interest - what was the general view of those at the nationals about what Hayden Roulston is doing?

(for the benefit of you other ladies, Hayden was advised to give up cycling because of a potentially fatal heart complaint but is undergoing some natural healing and diet changes, has returned to riding, and won the national road race)

Well, I had none in my family riding in Hayden's group, but there were some Ramblers who did.

There was of course, quite a bit on the TV news with some people quite angry he was allowed to ride...

We didn't get to the club racing last weekend, and the boys didn't do the Sunday bunch ride cause the teens were all still recovering from two weeks of no sleep-ins

However, we are interested in this too, so if I hear any goss this Saturday, I'll let you know.

I was in mixed minds about whether or not he should ride... but with a few big wins under his bike seat before the Nationals, and another at the Nationals, I guess he has proved himself.

I did think it interesting he didn't do the TT - he obviously knows how far he can push his heart...