Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Headphones (who wears them)

To disable ads, please log-in.

As a runner I always wore my headset ,but as a cycler on the road ,is it safe. I wear them ,but keep it low. I can hear cars etc... What is everyones view on this subject???? Im having a disagreement about this with someone.
    Thanks Suzie

A couple of previous threads on the subject which you might find interesting:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...ght=headphones

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...ght=headphones
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

oh boy, here we go again
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Kitsune06 Guest
    you mean the

"You do?! It's Dangerous and Illegal and you're going to DIE! Pfft! You're Dead to me Already!!!"

vs

"Yeah. And I listen to what's around me... but how can you NOT listen to music while riding? They're made for each other!"

...guess which I side with?

Oh, Kit.... oh, dear dear Kit. What are we gonna do with you?

This topic. It's like passing an accident on the highway. You know you shouldn't look, you know it's just trouble, but you can't help it. You look.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

This is why the Camelbak with the speakers in the shoulder straps will be perfect for bikers. Right now I bike (when I rode outdoors) with one head phone in and the other over my shoulder so I could still hear it alittle bit.

Kitsune06 Guest
    Cool idea, but how could you possibly get speakers with enough 'oomf' to play the thumpy techno I listen to?

Knot- you rubber necker! How could I possibly be a danger to myself and others (my claim to Team Danger) without being sorta dangerous?

I don't wear them when i'm on the road going into town or cycling where there might be a lot of people or cars, but i often cycle on disused railway paths, which basically serve as bridleways and dog walking routes and then i pop the phones in and keep it lowish. Dependent upon the time of day obviously as there are certain times when there are more dog walkers and people sauntering about than others.

In the end music can often enhance a ride, but sometimes it's nice to enjoy the sounds of the countryside. Hell i have to "enjoy" the smells of it! Pigs on my route you see!

I've found a VERY happy medium!

I DO NOT WEAR HEADPHONES

I use the loadspeaker function on my Nokia 6280 (which is alos my MP3 Player) and ride home with that. I listen too my music but it's ALWAY's instantly drowned out by an approaching car. It's in my back pocket of my jersey on my commute.

Headsets ARE dangerous for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists alike.
    @LIGHTSABE*R(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Beginner Triathlete Log

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I hate it when I ring my bell or call out to a jogger or dog walker meandering in front of me in the road only to find they are totally deaf to me because they are wearing earbuds. Incredibly dangerous and annoying. My DH used to wear them cycling but stopped when he himself began to realize he was not hearing traffic well enough.

Besides, I think part of the beauty of riding a bicycle is in being in tune with your environment- I love to hear all the tiny sounds around me when I ride:
    the crickets, the tiny roadside stream gurgling, the birds, the sounds of the wind whistling through my helmet, the dry leaves scuttering across the road, the sound of my tires on the asphalt, the sound of my gears changing and clicking, the scolding squirrels, the hawk high overhead, someone raking leaves, a distant dog barking, the sound of children playing in their backyards...these sounds all feed my soul when I ride down the open road, and I myself on my bike become one of the sounds as well, I become one with them all. For me, it's really a sort of spiritual experience.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I wear them. I try to stay aware, keep the volume low and plan what roads and time iam going to keep it safe.

Hi Everyone!

No, I WILL NOT wear headphones while riding my bike!!

Even with the volume set at LOW, IMHO, it's my feeling that 100% of your attention is NOT on riding your bike AND the environment around you.

If you are DRIVING YOUR BIKE, then you need to PAY ATTENTION -- YOU NEED TO BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS.

I won't wear headphones and I won't ride with anyone who wears them.

Stay safe!

Denise

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals".
    Immanuel Kant

I agree with Denise, sitting in an office chair with only one ear bud in, listening to NPR is enough to distract me into not "hearing" someone speak to me, so I don't believe that any earphones, no matter how low they are set can ever be safe while riding a bike. In many places it is a moot point in any case, because it is illegal to ride a bike, on the street or on a path, while wearing headphones.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Oh, Kit.... oh, dear dear Kit. What are we gonna do with you?

This topic. It's like passing an accident on the highway. You know you shouldn't look, you know it's just trouble, but you can't help it. You look.
    Thank you KN-I needed a laugh.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Kitsune06 Guest
    Nooooooooooo! Every time we have this discussion, it always goes on for pages and pages, and no one's ever 'converted' we just find out who thinks who's going to die, and who's just peachy with that. Pleaaaase! No!

FTR, I've found music that I *can* play (has enough higher-pitched stuff to sound decent out of headphones turned up and unworn) so I'm using those sony headphones that wrap around your ear (not the buds) and slipping the 'over the ear' part through my straps, and turning it up, so it's like ambient music that cars/etc will easily drown out.
    Also ftr, it's my older music that was meant to be played on speakers less 'refined' than these days, so it almost has a more authentic sound that way...
    ...my Doors, Janis, Pink Floyd, John Denver, Bob Dylan, Beatles (White and One albums) etc etc... ...and newer ones like Nirvana etc.

the external speakers are okay, and legal, I think. In Beaverton, OR, specifically, headphones or earbuds in both ears on any public road are illegal, while external speakers are alright. ---Just for the FYI on official legality.