Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by DDH View Post
    Are those of you that don't listen to music saying that someone that is deaf, should not ride, or run, or jog?
    When this topic comes up someone always uses this argument. I see it this way. Deaf people are deaf 100% of the time so they've developed coping mechanisms that most folks who stop up their ears with headphones haven't. Yes I am anti head phone.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    Yes, listening to music IS enjoyable while biking or jogging....but even aside from the hearing impairment, it DOES pull some of your concentration away from what's happening around you on the road at that instant, just like having your mind wandering.
    Wait a sec -- now I can't think about my writing, work out plot points and characterization nuances and "listen" to dialogue in my mind while I'm cycling?

Besides, I think part of the beauty of riding a bicycle is in being in tune with your environment- I love to hear all the tiny sounds around me when I ride:
    the crickets, the tiny roadside stream gurgling, the birds, the sounds of the wind whistling through my helmet, the dry leaves scuttering across the road, the sound of my tires on the asphalt, the sound of my gears changing and clicking, the scolding squirrels, the hawk high overhead, someone raking leaves, a distant dog barking, the sound of children playing in their backyards...these sounds all feed my soul when I ride down the open road, and I myself on my bike become one of the sounds as well, I become one with them all. For me, it's really a sort of spiritual experience.
    But having a spiritual experience while you're riding doesn't distract you? It would me!

That sounds like a lot of distracting things going on there, to pull your attention away from the road and traffic (and potential traffic). Or maybe you're a better woman than I, and can listen to such things without having your mind wander....

I'm not picking you, Lisa. I enjoy your posts and your attitude. It just happens that these couple of posts by you seem to sum up eloquently what a number of people seem to be saying here and in previous threads.

I think it's fair to say that anybody with earpods or headphones who isn't able to hear what's going on around them is certainly a potential hazard and that's just plain stupid and dangerous.

But the attitude shared by many here that we mustn't ever let our minds wander, that we should find the experience of cycling so complete in and of itself that we don't NEED anything else, and if we do, there's something clearly lacking in us --

I think that's a lot of hooey.

Respectfully submitted by --

Pooks

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

My spiritual experience this morning involved singing the theme from "Rawhide" over and over through three beach cities. Considering my poor, sad singing ability, I'm sure more people on the bike path wished they were hearing impaired.

"My heart's calculatin'... my True Love will be waitin'... be waiting at the end of my ride..."

Joy
    (Definitely of the NO headphone sect)

Don't forget Soul Man!

Not Spiritual at all

I'm one of those people that is really not very spiritual. I guess I'm lacking in that respect. I do love biking, nature, the outdoors, but I guess I'm not really spiritual about it.

I AM ANTI-headphones because I think they are dangerous for the people using them and the other people forced to try to deal with those people on road or off.

My personal take on biking is that it should be fun and relaxing, and my personal take is that I don't want to be connected to anything (like a computer, a phone, an ipod, earphones, etc.) cause it defeats the purpose to me and the purpose to me is TO GET AWAY FROM IT ALL. I really believe that people are too hooked up these days and biking is a good way to get away from that "always being available and hooked up to everyone else".

But, the real reason I'm anti headphones is that they are dangerous to the person using them and to me when I'm trying to ride by.

Pooks

Now I feel better! I'm limited in the amount of paved roads around here, and wasn't feeling terribly ambitious. Sunday, I wanted to ride, but not really go anywhere, so I loaded up my ipod and rode my bike at the high school track. Around and around in circles with no one else in sight. I listened to an audiobook....educational??? enlightening??? No way, a trashy murder mystery. I had a blast!!! I was somehow feeling a little guilty about that after reading this thread. No cars, no one else, but somehow I thought I wasn't experiencing riding properly.

Kitsune06 Guest
    Move 'em on, head 'em up,
    Head 'em up, move 'em out,
    Move 'em on, head 'em out Rawhide!
    Set 'em out, ride 'em in
    Ride 'em in, let 'em out,
    Cut 'em out, ride 'em in Rawhide.

Agh! Memories!

Pooks- I'm with you. There's a 4 mile stretch of my route that I rarely encounter another living soul on... and my mind wanders (being there as long as I am- slowpoke!)

Characters, dialogue, scenes, details, random poetry, the piece of my mind I'd give so-and-so "if they were here right now", etc etc... Just as distracting as music...

And I still occasionally listen to my headphones (yes Ma'am, I know...) but only really on that stretch (half of it is a gravel road only traveled by residents and the other half is a very minor side-road, similarly only traveled by residents...)

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by pooks View Post

But having a spiritual experience while you're riding doesn't distract you? It would me!

That sounds like a lot of distracting things going on there, to pull your attention away from the road and traffic (and potential traffic). Or maybe you're a better woman than I, and can listen to such things without having your mind wander....
    The "spiritual experience" I feel from riding has more to do with being connected to everything taking place and passing around me. I am a part of all the events unfolding around me as I pass. In a car I always feel slightly removed from my surroundings. (I'm not saying you don't feel a part of YOUR surroundings mind you, I'm just describing here how I feel)
    Far from being distracting, noticing the many varied noises as I move through my environment makes me MORE aware and alert to what's going on in front, back, and to either side of me. It's a sense of hyper-reality I've only felt before when walking alone in the snow in the forest. I guess that's the best I can explain it.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

wandering mind

WOW!!!!! I didn't think this thread would be so controversial. I am one that does wear headphones (in one ear ,the one away from traffic). I felt bad after reading all the post ,and went on a 10 mile ride in" Beaverton" traffic without a headset on. My mind was so pre occupied by all the thoughts of the day ,and just thoughts in general. My concentration level was low. I know I'm more aware of traffic while wearing a headset. It may not work for everyone ,but it works for me. I ride to the right of the bike lane ,and turn around every so often to make sure no one is behind me. I can hear cars very well. I never wear them when I'm riding with someone. I wont wear them next Sunday on my 40 mile group ride.
    You talk about the sounds of nature , birds etc...well the sound of wind can block out the sound of traffic. A head set helps with the sound of wind.
    Suzie

Quote Originally Posted by suzieqtwa View Post
    You talk about the sounds of nature , birds etc...well the sound of wind can block out the sound of traffic. A head set helps with the sound of wind.
    So do earplugs.
    Lisa

Well, I am just so happy to be able to come on here, read so many good and valid points, ponder them and be given the opportunity to make up my own mind. It's all good , we are all individuals with varying opinions and points and isn't it wonderful to be able to voice them openly.

I just think you girls are all the greatest.

Okay, slop, slop, just trying to lighten things up a little. Howd I do? LOL

I really do think you are all great though, and I really do learn a lot from you all.

So do earplugs.
    LOL! But earplugs would stop you from hearing oncoming traffic, wouldn't they?

I do understand about spirtual experiences! I just think it's okay for people to get different things out of cycling, and believe me, there were times this summer when I was chugging my fat bum around our quiet neighborhood on my bike, dripping sweat, feeling the skin on my arms roasting, that if I hadn't been able to distract myself with my audiobook (in one ear) I would have ridden around the block one time and called it a workout!

The first time the air turned cool, riding was so glorious I couldn't stand to have the earbud in and just rode for the joy of it!

But my neighborhood has very little traffic. I can ride a two to two-and-a-half mile loop and see only one or two other vehicles on the road, and I hear the coming long before they get to me, earbud or not.

I can't listen to music because it WOULD distract me -- I do get "involved" with music. But as long as I choose the right kind of book (light, little concentration needed, and if I miss some of it I don't really care) it helps me NOT think about how hot I am, how much my thighs burn, etc.

Now.

How about those Cowboys?

Quote Originally Posted by pooks View Post
    Now.

How about those Cowboys?

Do THEY wear headphones too?

Lisa

I like how this thread has gone from being strictly about headphones to now encompassing other things.....namely one's mind wandering....and, does such mental meandering count as a distraction???

Good discussion I think, one we should have.

My experience with this is that headphones, thoughts of bubble bath's while on a steep climb, etc - all constitute some level of distraction as compared to being absolutely, totally concentrated on one's every pedal stroke.

I would probably say the level of distraction and how much they affect your road awareness and peripheral sense - vary quite a bit.

Doing the trendy thing - slapping on an ipod to my jersey pocket and riding with headphones - for me, would represent a huge distraction. Like earplugs they block the noise of the road, but then also introduce more distraction in the form of music. That in my mind is openly and blatantly flirting with disaster.

Other things though like thinking about the lovely sunflowers alongside the road, whether some cute new beau or girl is going to return your call, and cherry pie when you are 20 miles from home - do remove you from that absolute, zeroed in, totally focused space. I'll say this though, IMO you can recover your focus a heck of a lot faster than you can with headphones.

I find the harder I ride, the more focused I am. On a recovery ride, I'm figuratively smelling the flowers, but then I'm also going at the slowest speed I ride....at the far end, when I'm doing intervals, I am absorbed by every pedal stroke, my heart beat, the line I'm riding, the road, etc.
    Last edited by Cassandra_Cain; 10-04-2006 at 09:35 AM.

'SIGH' why why why? why did I stop?

ok - here's the thing. everyone has valid points no matter what side of the debate you are on.
    For those of you who talk about the music drowning out the sounds of nature...where I live, there is way too much traffic to be able to even hear nature, so it's good that YOU can enjoy it and you definitely should. Basically, I am used to riding in an area that does not have bike lanes, and we do not have designated bike paths, so my only option is to ride along roads that are too narrow, and not very well maintained. What that means is I am VERY aware of my surroundings regardless of what I hear. I just figure that there is never a time where I can let my guard down...so I don't.
    I will listen to my iPod Shuffle w/ 1 earbud in (the one away from traffic) when I feel comfortable doing so. It is only loud enough for me to just hear it. Someone mentioned ambiance music previously. It's like that. For me, the wind in my ears is much louder than my music.

Now what I think is getting overlooked, and creating such passionate views from people who oppose "headphones" is that well.....how do I put this.....let's se.....oh yeah MOST PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS!!!! those not currently on, or associated with TE forum of course.
    People who close off both ears with ear/headphones? IDIOTS
    People who blast their music while riding? IDIOTS
    People who say they listen to music to drown out the sound of traffic? IDIOTS

The experiences that some of you've had where the human obstacle in front of you didn't hear you coming because of said headphones? if, when you got along side that same person and you saw they didn't have headphones? you would just call them what? IDIOTS

The music faintly playing in my right ear is solely to give me a rhythm, a pace when I am climbing or something, not give me a distraction. My brain (when its tooo quiet) will cause me more of a distraction.

On organized rides, where any music is prohibited, I find there is usually a song in my head - and it is playing just as loud (if not louder) than my Shuffle would be. This past weekend, I did a 72 mile ride (my longest by far) and the song in my head was Michael Jackson's "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" though in my head it sounded more like "don't stop til you get it up". Don't you hate when you don't know the words to a song, but you sing it anyway and make the words up? Anyway, after 4.5 hrs of the same song in my head, I would've liked to be able to hit the "next" button and gone to a different track.

I think there are just some people who are oblivious to the fact that they are not alone on the planet, and that they could potentially be in someone's way, or they could be an IDIOT. That's what makes them such. But for the most part, it is still possible to listen to a little music AND be safe. Not everyone can do that.

I should've done a drive by....darn.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    John Lennon, "Beautiful Boy"