Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ok.... I confess..... I had to rubber neck this one............... gawd I wish I had just done a none-of-my-business driveby.........

Why can't we all just get along????? I'm gonna keep my yap shut on this one....and listen to some tunes........
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

I am the friend with whom Suzie had the headphone disagreement. Well I never thought about it as a disagreement. I must be really out of the loop because I was merely astonished that someone would want to reduce one of their senses while riding. It didn't make any sense to me.

However, it is an individual choice, and I think a person can make their own decision once they are aware of the risks. Suzie must be doing something right because she has had only one fall, whereas I've had two falls and dented two really nice helmets; Suzie is still going strong with her first helmet.

I do hate it when people have them on while walking or jogging on a bike path. They don't hear my bike bell and I've had to shout out at the top of my lungs and sometimes even come to a screeching halt.

Darcy

I get annoyed at the headphone wearers who are oblivious to everyone and everything around them. That said, not ALL folks who wear headphones tune out their surroundings, as I regularly pass a few who will wave as I warn them that I'm passing on their left. My concern is that you see the buds in/earphones one and you just don't know what to expect as you approach them. Invaribly, some will drift into your lane just as you approach (do those IPOD earbuds have a magnetic force that are attracted to bikes?) I've taken to warning, loudly and often, as I approach and they are non-responsive.

The bottom line is that we all have a responsibility to others when we are using multiuse trails or public roads. The story of the TE gal who could have drown in stream when run off the trail by the "mad aerobar chick" -- who apparently was NOT wearing headphones but was completely wrapped up in herself -- serves as a good reminder to all of us.

If someone chooses to tune out their surroundings and gets hurt due to their inattention, I cannot feel sorry for them. It's a Darwin thing, in my opinion. As long as they don't take out someone else when they have that inevitable accident.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by mickchick View Post
    If someone chooses to tune out their surroundings and gets hurt due to their inattention, I cannot feel sorry for them. It's a Darwin thing, in my opinion. As long as they don't take out someone else when they have that inevitable accident.
    Unfortunately, most accidents involving "deaf" headphone wearers are not just cases of them jogging into walls by themselves- they are almost always COLLISIONS with others in the traffic pattern due to their being unaware of those around them, and as such, they are usually not just hurting themsleves.
    I resent joggers and bikers purposely impairing their sense of hearing when in traffic, because yes it DOES affect MY safety, not just theirs.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm with Kitsune06. I do the same, I store my IPOD in my jersey pocket, and wear my headphones around my neck (wires through jersey so they don't get tangled). This allows me to hear the music just enough to make out the song (and get that extra boost up those hills), but not enough where I'd rant about the acoustics. I'm able to hear my music, people, cars, dogs running after me , and am still able to hear the crickets and birds.

The comical thing about it is when traffic increases or I pass a school with kids at recess (yelling/screaming), I get mad becuase it always seems to happen during a good song and I can't hear it!!!!

Roshelle from Milwaukee

And one more thing to add, I ALWAYS wear my headphones while running on the trails (on my actual ears). I don't think I'd enjoy it as much w/out. If it is THAT unsafe on the trails around my house (which is designated to runners, walkers, and bikers~no cars) that I can't run with headphones without fear of getting run down, then there are alot more issues to discuss than headphones.

I do keep cyclists in mind as I am one of them, and run way to the right side, which allows them plenty of room to go around. I also do the spot checks over my left shoulder before passing a walker, etc. I've had my fair share of people jumping in front of me without looking and they are not fun.

But to add (I might tick some people off by saying this), but if you are going to go for a bike ride and you are going over 20mph, I'm sorry, but you don't belong on the trails!!!!!!! There has been so many times (usually men cyclists~actually I've only seen men cyclists do this) that FLY past me at 25 mph on the trails and almost take me out either running or on my bike . With all those twists and turns on trails, I just don't think it's safe. Anyone agree?

Just my 2 cents.
    Roshelle from Milwaukee

I have looked at this thread 10 times now without saying a thing, but I guess I looked one to many times. LOL

Are those of you that don't listen to music saying that someone that is deaf, should not ride, or run, or jog?
    I listen to my music when I am on the road by myself, or when it is just DH and I. I don't wear them on organized rides or with groups, I keep one ear open to be able to hear other things going on and I don't listen to it extremely loud. With that said, I got to thinking about "what about deaf folks". Isn't the problem more about people not watching out for one another rather than hearing. I mean it is a plus to have all senses, but what about the deaf.
    When I ride, I ride to the right. I don't go all swervy curvey all over the road, even when I am alone, before I do any turning, I look over my shoulder, to look for anything that might be coming. I think my eyes do a whole lot more of the work to keep me safe than my ears.
    The organized ride I went on Saturday, out of over a 1000 people, I had 1 or 2 people call out as they passed, I did a whole lot better watching out for folks than trying to listen because they weren't letting me know anything in advance anyway, I even had folks coming around me on the right even though I was alomost all the way over anyway. So I am just wondering if the issue isn't more about people not following our own biking rules, than it is about hearing. I mean it reminds me of the folks driving cars that think the road is all about them and everyone else better by God get out of their way because the rules are for everyone else but not them.
    I agree you shouldn't totally have the music real loud and in both ears with no way to hear anything, but I see people get distracted and not pay attention without music, as much as with it.
    Just a thought.
    I try to be as safe as possible and would never want to endanger someone else for sure, but I do like my music to keep me motivated but happily ride without it when I am with others.

Well guess what? I strongly support wearing headphones while riding....on my indoor trainer that is!

As for the what if..."should people that are deaf not ride, etc?". My view of it is, well for those of us who are fortunate enough to have our hearing, we should not be making ourselves 'deaf' (so to speak) by wearing headphones while riding outdoors in traffic or even on a bikepath. I've learned that saying/shouting 'bike on your left' is useless at least 50% of the time on bikepaths as bicycle riders are oftentimes wearing headphones.

If someone truly does have a hearing issue, then I am not going to blame them for it. Nor would I say they should not ride.

For everyone else though, not much sympathy from me if I see them out w/headphones

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    In my opinion, the higher the number of people out there in traffic (streets AND paths) who wear earphones while jogging, biking, roller blading, or walking, the more accidents we are going to be seeing.
    Yes, listening to music IS enjoyable while biking or jogging....but even aside from the hearing impairment, it DOES pull some of your concentration away from what's happening around you on the road at that instant, just like having your mind wandering. The combination of bikers listening to headphones and drivers talking on cell phones is incredibly dangerous.
    In my humble opinion, music is fine when you're exercising in the gym- it's a safe environment where collisions with other exercisers are seldom fatal.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by roshelleuop View Post
    But to add (I might tick some people off by saying this), but if you are going to go for a bike ride and you are going over 20mph, I'm sorry, but you don't belong on the trails!!!!!!! There has been so many times (usually men cyclists~actually I've only seen men cyclists do this) that FLY past me at 25 mph on the trails and almost take me out either running or on my bike . With all those twists and turns on trails, I just don't think it's safe. Anyone agree?

Just my 2 cents.
    Roshelle from Milwaukee
    There is a state bike trail at an Oregon state park where I rode a lot this summer. I asked a head ranger specifically about the rules of the trail, because I witnessed many accidents and I had three very close encounters myself. The ranger said it is a bike trail, and though it is multi-use, the bikes have the right of way. If someone or a family blocks the trail, and they cause the bicyclist to crash, then those people are liable, not the bicyclist. The speed of the bicycle is not relevant because the trail is posted that it is for bicycles.

The rangers said what usually causes the accidents are family groups using the bike trails with very young children on tricycles and toy bikes, and the trikes veer in front of the bikers, or a biker comes around a curve and the trail is clogged with the toy bikes, and there is a crash. Another cause of the accidents are walkers and joggers who spread out across the trail, or walk down the middle, blocking the trail for the bicyclists. The ranger said when they write up the citations, the fault goes to the people blocking the trail, and when the bikers take the people to court for medical costs and other damages, the court finds in the bikers' favor.

Darcy

When I first started cycling, and joined this forum a few months later, I was gonna use head phones and joined in discussion in a very similar thread to this.

Now I wouldn't dream of it cause there are to many times cars have snuck up on me when I have had "naked" ears...

When I need rythym I sing to myself, sometimes out loud, sometimes in my head.

I find Melissa Etheridge, Bruce Springsteen and the Indigo Girls all have useful songs to keep the beat/pace to.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Darcy in Orgeon ,

Thanks for the info!!! This is a good to know and I will make sure to stay out of the way of those flying men!!!

The rule makes sense, it's just not fair

Roshelle from Milwaukee

THANK YOU TO ALL THE LADIES THAT REPLIED WITH NEW TACTICS FOR ME!!! I HAVE ALOT OF DIFFERENT IDEAS TO TRY OUT TONIGHT ON MY RIDE!!!!

I won't ride with ear buds/headphones for a few reasons:

1) I don't feel safe. I need to hear what is going on around me. Sure, I have heard that headphone wearers can hear what is going on, but I don't feel comfortable doing that.

2) Along the safety line, I refuse to look like a victim. As a lone female cyclist/runner, I don't need anything to make me look like I am not aware of my surroundings and let someone else think they can take advantage of me. Think again.

3) I really don't feel the need to take my music everywhere I go, unlike our Ipod Nation. I see these things everywhere! I don't get bored on long rides, I don't need constant entertainment to keep my mind occupied while I push out the miles. My entertainment is hearing the wind whistle through my helmet straps, the cars whizz by, the happy chatter of others I ride with or the greetings of people I pass. If I want to listen to music, I will do so at home, off the bike.
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X

Quote Originally Posted by Denise223 View Post
    Even with the volume set at LOW, IMHO, it's my feeling that 100% of your attention is NOT on riding your bike AND the environment around you.
    Interesting point -- it's rare that 100% of my attention is on riding my bike and the environment around me. Same when I'm driving a car. Even if I'm not listening to the radio or music or an audiobooks while driving, my mind is going 1,000 miles a minute, thinking about all sorts of things, hopping from one tangent to the next. I sometimes even talk to myself.

Same on the bike (though I've avoided talking to myself). I have ADD. I can't focus 100% of my attention on just about anything.

Should I stop riding now?

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

I was diagnosed as having ADD myself - and was offered medication for it, but I prefer not taking Ritalin. I'm hyper enough.

Truth be told, when I am on my bike - that's where my mind is focused - 100%!

I'm not going to question "why that is"... I'm just grateful I can focus while on my bike.

But, at other times.....my mind is going 100 miles a minute - thinking of anything & everything. And, I talk to myself too

Peace & Love,

Denise

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals".
    Immanuel Kant