Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by tygab View Post
    I am curious about this, I've never seen a 13ft whitewater boat. Well, at least the ones I see in stores are all short and stubby. Do you do any flatwater kayaking with it?
    Actually, it's a 12 footer. 13 foot was standard before I bought this boat - it was one of the first to shrink to 12 foot. And they've kept shrinking. Now they're mostly 7-8 feet, I believe. My boat has alot more flotation than the smaller ones and rides over waves and punches through holes nicely. Just not as good of a "play boat". I do paddle flatwater in it. It takes work to make it go straight, and if you stop paddling it immediately turns. Does this race require one to tag a teammate, then run and jump into the boat, pop on the sprayskirt, and scoot into the water? I used to do a relay race like that on the class II part of the Saco River as part of the Tuckerman Ravine Pentathlon.

If I get a cycling leg, I'd like a hilly section.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Deb should definitely get the hilly section.... she climbs fast! My husband did the bike leg of the Tuckerman's pentathalon a few years ago. On his trial run all was perfect. Then, the day of the actual race there were 30 mph winds. He almost got blown off the mountain.

This sounds like alot of fun. I will be traveling this summer to horse races, so keep me on the list, but remind me when we get closer!! I don't post here alot, but read every day...
    I will be running all summer anyway, so will be in shape, I hope! This could be a blast, and a great way to meet new friends! I am sure I can drag along one or two of my sisters to crew, or lend support.

Laura in NY
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

I think the race can be as fast or slow as people want. Some ran and jumped in Kayaks, others, just meandered, and there are always a few that end up in the drink. There seemed to be a wide range of folks racing, from hardcore to just out to have a fun day.

sorry I'm late to this post...

If you have any more room on the teams...I can bike, run, or paddle ...all rather slowly...but it sounds like great fun! I also have access to another kayak if needed. Renee

I am curious about this, I've never seen a 13ft whitewater boat. Well, at least the ones I see in stores are all short and stubby. Do you do any flatwater kayaking with it?
    Found a good pic of my kayak. It's a 12 foot whitewater model from the 80s. It's a quick-turning downriver boat. Takes practice to make it go straight.
    Last edited by DebW; 10-19-2008 at 05:36 PM.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    I might be part of the Worcester AMC team this year--maybe I'll run into some of you! I just got an email saying they need runners, so if they don't have a problem with my speed (well, actually lack thereof) I'll probably be running one leg.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Hi,

I am putting a team together of over 50's. A combination of men and women.

Right now, all I need is one more runner. Is there anyone out there that is 50 or older that would like to join my team for a running segment?

Or do you know anyone that might be interested? - male or female - it wouldn't matter to us!

We are all pretty slow so speed doesn't matter. We would just like to do it for fun!

Anyone interested?

The registration deadline is September 1st, and the cost is $50.00.

There isn't a lot of time left...

Lynette

Oh yay! A runner!

Ok, I am going to try and "organize" what the responses have been:

Potential cyclists (well, in theory everyone in the thread but those who've said so):
    Robyn
    DebW
    Surlygirl
    TygaB
    Petals
    Wavedancer

Potential paddlers:
    Wavedancer
    TygaB
    Petals
    DebW

Potential runners:
    TygaB
    Robyn
    Jenxxs
    DebW
    Horsemom

So we may have enough for definitely 1, maybe 2 teams assuming we recruit a few more to our side and/or a few people do more than one leg (I would if they were spaced sufficiently for example).

To answer Robyn's question, the date for the Greenway is: Sept 29, 2007
    Do we still have interest in forming a team for this year? The following course info has been posted:

Start: Trailhead of the Blackstone River State Park Visitor Center Lincoln, RI
    Segment 1: Run 3.7 miles
    Segment 2: Paddle 2.7 miles
    Segment 3: Cycle 17.5 miles
    Segment 4: Run 5.4 miles
    Segment 5: Paddle 4 miles
    Segment 6: Cycle 14.7 miles
    Segment 7: Run 5.6 miles

Total: 53.6 miles

The registration deadline is September 1. Race day is September 29.