Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

strange transition ( long)

To disable ads, please log-in.

The past few months, I have been going through a strange transition in my workout schedule. I have always worked out 5 days a week, two days off. Even when I first started mt biking, I would keep my regular schedule during the week and replace one of my workouts on the w/e with a ride. I was walking, hiking at a local park, circut training etc. Except for the hikes, the work out were about 45 min to and hour.

Last winter we started to increase our riding in preparation for racing this season, and as the mileage and intenisty went up, the frequency of my workouts went down. Longer recovery time was now needed.

We are currently training for an off road biathlon, run, bike, run, the end of Oct. So wed we do a brick workout, run, bike, run, lasting about 2 hours, and Sat or Sunday is a long trail ride 2-3 hours, very fast. Monday and Thursday lifting with some light cardio.

I am mentally having a hard time with the recovery days. I have learned the hard way that I need them. I am still sore in the legs today from the workout on Wed., but I am so used to doing more days of cardio. Although the total hours per week is probably still the same or higher.

I know that part of it is the pounding you take from a hard mt bike workout, part of it is being 44....part of it is training with big strong guys, but it is still hard to chill out and recover.

A while back there was a thread about posting your weekly mileage, and when I saw some of miles you guys were putting in I almost dies. I know that some were road miles, but it made me feel like a wimp.

The funny thing is, my DH and training partner has NO problem taking the recovery days.....hhhmmm....he keeps saying sit down and chill out woman...

Oh well, thanks for listening....
    Transitioning, somewhere in NJ

Ruth

Boy, can I relate!

First, when I started mountain biking, I saw my weekly mileage plummet and FREAKED! Then I did a reality check and saw mtb vs. road and took a deep breath. It is still hard sometimes when I see other peoples' mileage, but I know what I am doing and I work hard not to compare myself-

Second, I am the queen of "if I am having a recovery day, I am doing nothing to help make myself stronger". Oh, yes, I know that recovery is important blah blah blah blah. I can recite it chapter and verse to people who are overtraining. But for me, I had and still have a hard time taking a day off. One suggestion by a friend of mine was to take out my road bike and ride flat roads (not easy finding flat roads in Vermont), even if you have to do an out-back, and ride slowly, in an easy gear, for even as little as half an hour. And it really made a difference to me, emotionally. For some reason, even though I never even worked up a sweat, just being on the bike helped me get over it. No real mileage, no hard gear, no hills, just light spinning. And eventually, you can work yourself into a rest day or so, not on the bike. But for me, emotionally, I needed that bike connection!

Hang in there!
    The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew--and live through it.

Don't even compare road miles w/ mtb miles. Yesterday we rode in 2.5 hours 10 miles of heart-pumping, gasping, sweating, leg burning single track. Did I say just 10 miles?

I know...

Crazy right??? It is a lot harder on your body too, at least I think so, compounded by that fact that we are hitting pretty heavy on training days.

Plus we have to drive to ride. Almost an hour. It cuts down on how many days we can get out. Once the winter comes, and the ticks are down there is a place closer to home that we can ride that it not hilly or technical, so we can use it for base miles this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbottomedgurl View Post
    Don't even compare road miles w/ mtb miles. Yesterday we rode in 2.5 hours 10 miles of heart-pumping, gasping, sweating, leg burning single track. Did I say just 10 miles?

i always feel bad when i say i rode 20 miles when everyone else rides much longer! but i'm on my mtb. sorry to hijack the thread, but you made me feel so much better.

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

Hijacked again

My pleasure. Now don't get eaten by a bear. Okay?

i'll try not to.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

I can relate to this - been road riding for years (best year, 2004, was 4300 miles total, four full centuries, numerous metrics, and a 565-mile loaded tour). This year I took up mountain biking, and I find my speed is about 1/2 what it would be on the road, so for a given period of time, I only rack up half the miles. <shrug> Who cares - I'm working hard and having fun!

And actually, I am having more fun now than when I was single-mindedly road riding. That was all I did for fitness (plus some lifting), and I rode ~5 days a week, most weeks. At some point it becomes more of an obsession (gotta get the miles in) than fun. After taking a long break from road riding, I am now mixing it up: some mountain, some road (many, many fewer miles than in previous years), some running, some hiking, plenty of walking, some lifting, occasional kayaking. I'm in better shape than ever, can eat anything I want, and feel great! Counting miles just doesn't matter much to me any more....

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow