Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: dummy

Red face dummy

To disable ads, please log-in.

i have no idea how to fix a flat tire.

am i as pathetic as i think i am?

i want to start commuting to school, but i'm thinking i should know the basics so i dont get stranded and miss my classes because i dont know how to fix things.

is it hard? i see roadies doing it sometimes by the side of the road. it'd be nice to know i could help if i saw someone stranded somewhere, too. the rear tire intimidates me, because the guts are attached, and i'm afraid i'll successfully fix the flat, but will mess up the chain or something else important.

Quote Originally Posted by inatree View Post
    i have no idea how to fix a flat tire.

am i as pathetic as i think i am?

i want to start commuting to school, but i'm thinking i should know the basics so i dont get stranded and miss my classes because i dont know how to fix things.

is it hard? i see roadies doing it sometimes by the side of the road. it'd be nice to know i could help if i saw someone stranded somewhere, too. the rear tire intimidates me, because the guts are attached, and i'm afraid i'll successfully fix the flat, but will mess up the chain or something else important.
    Check this link out from TE.
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/articles/asa_levers.asp

Its how I learned to change a flat. A good idea is to try changing them at home before you actually get a flat and then when it happens you will know exactly what to do.

Good luck

PS the back tyre intimidates everyone at first.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Though it's probably easier to change a tire than a tyre.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    Though it's probably easier to change a tire than a tyre.
    LOL - If I flat on Sat I will let you change mine just to see.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

You could also sign up for a class in basic bike mechanics, often held at bike shops or places like REI. Or just walk into your LBS someday when they aren't busy and ask them to show you. Be sure to practice at home a few times. And when you inflate the tire, always stop at about 25 lbs pressure and check that the tire is seated properly (ie. the bead is even all the way around on both sides) before inflating to full pressure. Blowouts are best avoid by using care when inflating.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Practice, practice, practice. In the comfort of your garage (or living room).

It's very empowering to be able to fix your own flats, plus it's not that hard and an important safety issue (you don't want to be caught somewhere where you can't walk back from with a flat tire, or have to rely on strangers, etc.).

Get yourself the right tools for the job (search this forum for threads about what we carry on rides) and just do it!

when I took a (FREE!) fix-a-flat class the instructor had us all change our back tire. We had to deal with the "guts", and really they weren't that big a deal once you saw how it went together.

If the back wheel intimidates you (and it sure as heck intimidated me!) practice just taking it on and off before you practice changing the tube. Just remember to lift the derailleur by rotating it back with your hand before you put the wheel into the drop-outs and it all goes peachy.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Call me a dummy too... I have changed a couple of tyres, but do my best to not be in that position and have been known to rely on my mobile phone rather than tyre levers. The tyres on my training bike are extremly tight, and difficult to get off. If I am tired, the effort is sometimes just too much. Latest flatty was on Thursday and my partner had come down to meet me to ride home with me.

Picked up a piece of glass and I was pleased he was there, after a long day at the office it was easier to let him do it - he's so much quicker than me.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".