Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Angry Ultralight tubes?

To disable ads, please log-in.

My bike has ultralight tubes, and in the month that I've owned my bike, I've already killed three of the tubes:

Tube 1: I separated the valve stem from the tube when taking the floor pump's chuck off. (Front tire)

Tube 2: Blow-out from h*ll described in other posts. (Front tire)

Tube 3: Valve stem separated from tube -- I dunno how. I'd brought my bike to show some of my relatives. When I unloaded it from my truck, the rear tire was flat. Wouldn't hold air -- heck, it wouldn't receive air. Wiggled valve stem -- it's a little loose. I'll change it tonight. (Rear tire, for a change)

Hmm, maybe the helium makes the tubes age faster....

Seriously, though, anyone else have experiences with the ultralight tubes? I'd rather hear from others before writing them off as not-such-a-good-piece-of-equipment.

-- Melissa

I use Continental Race-Lite tubes......... don't know if they're considered "ultralite" or not but I think they are lighter than the regular tubes. I haven't had any problems with them. Started using them 'cause that's what my LBS carried in a 650 road tire with a longer valve stem. The only flats I've gotten are obvious ones, like a piece of glass stuck through the tire.Occasionally , a shop will get in a bad batch of tubes where there is a weak spot at the valve stem. It doesn't happen often, but it can happen. Ask the shop if they've had many people back with flats from those tubes. And take the tube in and show them where it failed. They might give you a new one free. Or be able to explain why it happened.

Unfortunately, you might just be having a run of bad luck with flats!!!
    Look at the bright side....... you'll be a whizz at changing tires and be able to help and impress all your riding buddies.
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

I've been using ultralight tubes for years now (various brands, although I agree those Continentals are the bomb) without any problems. I love the fact that they are small and fit easily in a jersey pocket. I use them in both my road and mountain bikes.

Have you checked your rims around the valve-stem hole? If you are having issues with the same area of the tube they might have a slight burr or perhaps the rim-strip has disloged. As annie mentioned, it could also be a bad "batch" of tubes. It happens

I have only had one flat (knock on wood) with those tubes all last year. However, my riding partner - flatted like eight times in four months. As others have stated - it could be something on your rim or in your tire or just bad "flat" luck! By the end of summer we were like a Nascar pit crew - we could change a flat fast!!!!

Kelly

My husband gave the ultralights a try and had nothing but rotten luck with them. I don't remeber what brand they were, but none of them lasted more than one ride. Primary cause of failure... valve stem seperation.

I should have mentioned what kind of tubes I'm using.

They are Bontrager Superlights for 650C wheels.

Annie has a good point -- maybe it's a bad batch of tubes.

Anyway, my last two Superlight tubes are installed -- hope they last. After that, I'll see if I have better luck with the non-Superlight Bontragers (I have one in my seat bag.)

Thanks for sharing your ideas and experiences!

-- Melissa

As I read this thread I too have had some trouble with ultralights tubes (cant remember the brand and dont have any boxes left) We thought that it was just me and I was no longer allowed to chance flats because I wrecked 4 in one day and it had to do with the valve stem seperating. Maybe it wasn't me and the tube instead???
    Dea

I bet it wasn't you, Dea. Blame the tubes........

Speaking of flats, I had my first one for the year while out riding today. I hope than doesn't bode ill for the rest of the year...... I threw in a new tube, filled it with my CO2 and off I went. When I got home, I checked the blown tube, which happened to be a brand new tube. It wasn't the valve stem. It simply had a little pinhole in it. I guess I ran over something. Time for a patch and it'll be a spare tube now.

I was so glad it wasn't cold as I stood by the side of the road changing the flat! Hurray for warm weather.
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard