Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Floor pump for light weights

To disable ads, please log-in.

My tires were sagging a little so I went to Performance and bought a pump. My tires said 115/125 PSI, which I assume means min/max pressure. Here's the rub... I don't weight 115 pounds!

I got the air pressure up to 105 OK. But then the pump stopped working for me, even when I put my full weight on it. I had to do some serious pogo-action/monkey-like acrobatics just to get it to 110 PSI. I had to stop when I bounced and toppled over into the sofa. (I'm sure my male friends would have found it highly entertaining.)

Question... does anyone know if I can still ride safely at 105-110 PSI or do I have to get a better pump/air compressor? I hate always asking the BF to do silly girly things for me, but I don't want to spend a lot of $$$ on an air compressor when I could be spending it at TE!

You're fine.....

Bluetree, you probably don't want much more than 100 psi in your tires (assuming you're running 700 x 22c tires). I, too, weigh 115 pounds, and that's what my LBS recommended that I run in mine. I haven't had a pinch flat yet! Knock on wood.....

Like you, I don't have the strength to pump them much higher than that anyway. Getting them to 100 is hard enough! I'd ask your LBS, though, just to be sure.

If you're not already doing this, just be sure to top off the pressure before each and every ride. You'll be surprised how much pressure your tires lose after only one ride or from just sitting in your garage.

Kate
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

You can read this issue online at http://www.roadbikerider.com/233tt.htm

Uncle Al: Inflation Revelation o^o o^o o^o o^o o^o o^o

Tire pressure is one of the most controversial and misunderstood elements of road riding. Most roadies are under the mistaken impression that unless pressure is well over 100 pounds per square inch (psi) it's like they'll be dragging around a boat anchor. Tire manufacturers perpetuate this myth by stamping a Maximum Tire Pressure value on the sidewall. For road tires, this can range from 110 psi to an astronomical 170 psi. Combine these pressures with the super-stiff, radial-spoked wheels many riders are now using, and the result is some serious self-abuse.

Based on 40 years of wrenching and my discussions with tire experts and pro riders, there's no compelling reason to run more than 95 psi for 95% of your riding. Our roads are deteriorating faster than politicians can spend our tax dollars, and really high pressure means a really harsh ride. I could also mention poor cornering, short tire life, and the promise of many punctures.

The key here is to ride the tire size that matches your weight. Many roadies are running 700x23C no matter what they weigh. If you're over 180 lbs. (82 kilos), 25C is a better choice. For us "Clydesdales" over 205 lbs. (93 kilos), 28C is the smart size. I'm talking fast recreational riding here, not racing or touring. Racers can go narrower and tourers should go wider.

If your tire size corresponds to your weight, you can run 90-95 psi and not risk pinch flats. I guarantee you will roll just as fast or faster than you think you do on higher pressures. You'll descend and corner faster (and safer). You'll suffer fewer punctures, and your tires will last as much as five times longer.

So if you're a max-pressure person, try lowering the psi and upping the size (if your weight says you should). Wean yourself off high pressure bit by bit if you wish till you?re down to 90 psi front and 95 rear. Then experience the suppleness your tires are supposed to possess. Check out how much smoother cornering is, how much more comfortable you are, and how much less fatigue you feel at the end of your rides. I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I have been running 90 psi in my tires since reading this article with no problems.

http://tinyurl.com/oxfog

I got BF this pump for Christmas. It is awesome! Much easier to pump than my cheaper version. I love the digital readout, too.
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetree View Post
    My tires said 115/125 PSI, which I assume means min/max pressure. Here's the rub... I don't weight 115 pounds!
    I'll leave it up to you to decide if you need 115 to 125 pounds of pressure. If you decide you do, you don't have to weigh 115 pounds to pump 115 pounds... What kind of pump do you have? You probably need something that is low volume, high pressure. If you can't reach the pressure that you want, you might consider C02 cartridges.
    Bork Bork, Hork Hork!!

I have the same problem. My solution is a: don't pump my tires. b: make husband do it and c: use the air compressor/one of the guys at work.
    I have to put my whole body weight on the pump to get to 90, and using a c02 cartridge every ride would get spendy.
    If you find a pump that works for us ligthweights, let me know!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
    You can read this issue online at http://www.roadbikerider.com/233tt.htm

Uncle Al: Inflation Revelation o^o o^o o^o o^o o^o o^o

Tire pressure is one of the most controversial and misunderstood elements of road riding. Most roadies are under the mistaken impression that unless pressure is well over 100 pounds per square inch (psi) it's like they'll be dragging around a boat anchor. Tire manufacturers perpetuate this myth by stamping a Maximum Tire Pressure value on the sidewall. For road tires, this can range from 110 psi to an astronomical 170 psi. Combine these pressures with the super-stiff, radial-spoked wheels many riders are now using, and the result is some serious self-abuse.

Based on 40 years of wrenching and my discussions with tire experts and pro riders, there's no compelling reason to run more than 95 psi for 95% of your riding. Our roads are deteriorating faster than politicians can spend our tax dollars, and really high pressure means a really harsh ride. I could also mention poor cornering, short tire life, and the promise of many punctures.

The key here is to ride the tire size that matches your weight. Many roadies are running 700x23C no matter what they weigh. If you're over 180 lbs. (82 kilos), 25C is a better choice. For us "Clydesdales" over 205 lbs. (93 kilos), 28C is the smart size. I'm talking fast recreational riding here, not racing or touring. Racers can go narrower and tourers should go wider.

If your tire size corresponds to your weight, you can run 90-95 psi and not risk pinch flats. I guarantee you will roll just as fast or faster than you think you do on higher pressures. You'll descend and corner faster (and safer). You'll suffer fewer punctures, and your tires will last as much as five times longer.

So if you're a max-pressure person, try lowering the psi and upping the size (if your weight says you should). Wean yourself off high pressure bit by bit if you wish till you?re down to 90 psi front and 95 rear. Then experience the suppleness your tires are supposed to possess. Check out how much smoother cornering is, how much more comfortable you are, and how much less fatigue you feel at the end of your rides. I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I have been running 90 psi in my tires since reading this article with no problems.

http://tinyurl.com/oxfog

I got BF this pump for Christmas. It is awesome! Much easier to pump than my cheaper version. I love the digital readout, too.
    Wow, that's super helpful, Nanci. I will try it.
    I have one of those cheapo pumps from Performance. It appears that if the tube air pressure (700x23C) exceeds my weight, I don't have the leverage to push down on the pump's handle.
    Most of my cycling friends are experienced racers and they all advised me to keep a 100+ PSI. But getting to 100 for me was a struggle. If I can keep my PSI at 90-95 without a problem, that would be terrific.

I have hill practice tomorrow so I will try it out.
    Thanks!
    Joy

The key to pumps for women is to get one with a long, thing chamber.
    http://www.serfas.com/pumps/WFP-200.shtml

I know many will say pink . Well it does work. I have played with these at the shop and above 80psi you can begin to notice a difference. It is possible to get it to 120psi fairly easily.