Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first Tri

Smile My first Tri

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello everybody,

I'm new to this side and I'm looking forward to exchange a lot of ideas.

By the end of May my very first Triathlon is coming up - it is a family fun event - 400m swim (or 10 minutes, whatever comes first, ha, ha) - 15K bike - 5K run. It is nothing fancy, but I'm really excited! My husband and my son are both into Triathlon and Duathlon as well. They help a lot, but sometimes you just need another female's advise.

The most interesting part for me will be the transition - I just hope, I won't waste too much time. I'm not sure what to wear - the swim will take place in pool - is it better just to put on some short over the bathing suit before getting on the bick or maybe getting a suit? Any input?

The swimming part won't be so bad. The running part ... well, I have to work on that one. Since I hurt my achilles last fall, I have to take it easy. Any ideas how to get back on track and not to overdo it?

Thanks!

If you plan on biking and running in your swimsuit, make sure it's a high quality suit (Speedo, TYR, Nike, etc.) that FITS correctly, so that it doesn't start to creep. If that starts to happen on the bike, you will be in major trouble with rubbing. I'm not sure how people do it anyway - I always have trouble enough with bike shorts not aggravating the crease of my legs, so the swimsuit would be a real challenge! You won't necessarily need shorts on the bike, unless you feel you want some coverage. However, if you feel that this event may be the start of a new hobby, you may want to invest in a tri suit. On a fluke, I got mine at TJMaxx for $7! If you didn't want to lay out the $$ for a new one, you could get one cheap off of eBay.

As far as the running goes, you may want to check out the Web for dealing with that Achilles injury. You'll want to find out why it was hurt, in the first place, and what you need to do (mobility exercises, massage, strength training, etc.) to keep it healthy.

Most of all - take it easy and have a ball! After it's over, you'll say 'I don't know if I'll do this again', then wait about an hour/day - you'll be hooked!

~Angie

Hi Angie,

thanks for the tips. I would have never thought to look at TJMaxx for a suit! I'll check out ebay as well. For me it is uncomfortable to bike with my swim suit. It's just ugh... and then there is the chafing.

When I injured my achilles last fall, I went to physio and ortho as well. Both concurred that my pelvis is tilted and my feet are a bit flat. Now I got some good running shoes and wear orthopedic inserts specifically for runners. That helps a lot.

I hope to have lots of fun that day - up until now, I always thought that I wouldn't have one single competitive strain in me, but during the last two week, that changed. So, no matter, what place I'll come in - I'll finish the race and have fun!

I notice you are from Ontario. Are you going in the Caledon triathlon? I am planning that one as my first triathon - my 6 year old and 3 year old sons are going to be entering the KOS / Youth tris first time for all of us! And I too am trying to figure out clothing! And trying to find out places in the area that have clothing to choose from. We went to a place call Swim and Sport (or something like that) in Mississauga, and Running Works in Guelph - both places basically said that stock doesn't come in until April. I was going to try and find "tri shorts" and go with a sports bra for the first one (I think I need more support then I can get from the tri-suits I've seen). Let me know if you find any good Ontario suppliers!

Val

transitions

For a short tri you are probably better off just making a decsion about what to wear and then going with it for the duration of the event. You really won't have time to change/add clothing, especially in the transitions as you are already worried about wasting time.

If you really can't stand riding in a swimsuit (and you aren't lucky enough to find a great buy on a tri-suit) plain-ol' bike shorts and a (non-cotton)sports bra should do the trick.

My favorite pair of bike shorts for dus and tris are supper cheap and cheesy. In fact I would never wear them for "real" riding. Look for the opposite of what you want in good bike shorts: thin non-cottony fabric (dries quickly), and a really thin, amost non-existant chamois (think "pantyliner" vs. maxipad).

If transitions have you worried-- practice them. After your next swim (if it's warm enough) hop on your bike and ride, even if it's just around the block. Usually in a tri you will just put your shoes and helmet on and go. Don't waste time with gloves or socks. Hang your helmet on your bike handlebar, have your energy drink in a bottle on the bike and have your shoes on a towel placed next to the bike. During the bike drink drink drink. When you transition to the run just hop off the bike, toss the helmet and bike shoes on the towel, slip on your running shoes and go. Running stores carry "quick laces" which are elastic shoe laces so you don't have to mess with tying your shoes.

Have fun

Well, well, the world is quite small!

Yes Val, I'm talking about the Caledon Tri. Do you perhaps train as well with the C3 in Inglewood?

It is so great that your sons participate as well in the KOS! Have you seen one of those races before? It is really cute, those very little ones on their tri-cycles! They have so much fun!

The only store for good running stuff is the Running Room in Brampton. I also went to that Mississauga store, but there was nothing really that caught my eye. That is how I ended up with "Team Estrogen".

And Pedalfaster, thanks for your advice. I will look for those quick laces. I think I've seen them in the Running Room. I love your comparision "pantyliner" vs "maxipad".

Your description of the transition really helps a lot. Thanks! We can't train the transition outside yet, the lakes and ponds here are still frozen, ugh... But I'll talk to my coach. If I remember correctly, the guys took the bikes to the pool last year and practiced the transition there.

Have fun, everybody!

For my first season I wore bike shorts and sports bra for the swim then threw on a bike jersey. Ran in my jersey and put on a running hat in the transition.

One thing about the swim to bike transition is make sure you have something to clean your feet with, if you have to run through sand. The towel is handy but if the area is sandy I usually have a little tub of water to stick my feet in or have an extra water-bottle to wash my feet off.

Last year was my first season and I learned a lot. I had an absolute blast. I am so looking forward to this year.

Best of luck,
    Kelly

I did my first tri last September though we had some practice doing transitions. Nothing prepares you for the real thing though! I put on bike shorts and jersey over swimsuit and then ran in them with a hat at the end. Now when we practice transitions i run with sports bra over swimsuit (hey, some girls are bigger than others! ) and that works great ( only you may have to do the "Bra Dance" to get it on with wet body, but enough practice and youll be good!)

Dont worry too much about it, in my race there were some people out there wearing some VERY interesting clothes- inevitably some old guy wears a Speedo or a flaming yellow pair of really small running shorts he shouldnt be wearing. And who cares what you are wearing, so long as you are out there and doing it and having fun!

Thanks for the tips. I decided to wear the swimsuit during the swim, then pull over some bike shorts in the transition zone. If I put on a jersey or not really depends on how warm it is that day. You know, in Canada, you might end up with snow in June... ha, ha...

Last weekend my husband, who also does Triathlon, decided to coach me a bit. First on the bike - not a nice flat road, no, into the hills! I have to get strong, so he tells me... In the pool he almost drowned me with the swim drills, but heh, I have to get strong... The running part was similar - you get the picture... I just love him to death!

So I figure, if my husband doesn't kill me first with his coaching, I should be prepared for the Tri event!!!

Maybe I should be grateful that my son (also a tri-athlete) doesn't want to coach me as well...

My husband actually bought me a "one piece funky triathlon suit" as an Easter present (sort of - more of a 'triathlon present...') but I have to admit that I am not going to wear it at the Caledon one! A combination of not wanting to get chlorine on it because of the pool swim, and in all honesty not wanting to go into my first triathlon with clothes that are better then I am! I know, I know... surprisingly enough, most people are probably not fixated on how I am doing, and what I am wearing ;-), but I feel like I want to sort of work my way up to earning the suit (if that makes any sense). I'm glad to hear that someone else goes with the "Sports Bra dance" ;-) - I think that's what I'm going to opt for for Caledon (cause who knows what the weather is going to be like!). Swim suit to Sports bra dance & bike shorts!

I did my first attempt at a toughish (for me) bike ride followed by a run (I guess that's a brick!) and I was amazed at how tough the running was after the biking! As far as Caledon goes, the bike ride I did was I think much hillier then the Caledon one will be. I'm getting excited for the real thing though! (as is my six year old son! The three year old is also saying that he is looking forward to doing the triathlon, but I know he doesn't know what he is saying!)

My husband / "coach" has now also mapped out all the triathlon's he thinks I should enter this summer... I'm glad he has confidence - for now, I just want to get through the "Family Fun" one at the end of May!

ciao
    Val

You'll do great!

The one piece triathlon suit my husband bought me won't be worn any time soon either. This little number is something that should be worn in private - if you ask me !

I did just buy me another tri outfit - bike shorts and matching tank top. I think it is pretty cool.

Always remember - we already deserve it!

Best of luck, Kelly
    Kelly

Last year I invested in a pair of Tri shorts and a tri top. The "pad" in the shorts is smaller than your typical bike short and I believe is a gel pad so you can swim with it.

My best advice is to practice in what you plan to wear to make sure it is comfortable. I was going to wear my tri shorts with my bathing suit and a sports bra under my suit, but the bra created too much drag so I ended up getting a tri top at the last minute.

Good Luck on your first Tri!

My husband / "coach" has now also mapped out all the triathlon's he thinks I should enter this summer... I'm glad he has confidence - for now, I just want to get through the "Family Fun" one at the end of May!
    Hi Val,

what would we do without the confidence of our husbands... Mine convinced me to do the Short Course (2.5 run/10K bike/2.5 run) during last sunday's Duathlon Provincial Champs. The course was supposed to be flat with one hill - yeah right - that one hill did it! Ha, ha! It was not exactly easy but it was a lot of fun.

The first run was great. The bike wasn't bad either. But the hill on the last run got the better of me. It really is hard to get back into running after biking. For me it is easier the other way around. I'm happy that I finished the race!

Let's have some fun during the Caledon Race on Sunday! Good luck to you and your two little ones. I've seen some KOS races and must say, those little ones on their tricycles are sooo cute!

For myself I decided to wear my bathing suit and quickly pull over some shorts for the biking and running. I just hope the weather stays somewhat comfortable.

Good luck and tons of fun!

I'm still deciding what to wear (nothing like the last minute...). The Caledon bike is apparently extremely flat, no talk at all of hills! I have only done one "training" bike followed by run, and couldn't believe how energyless my legs were! I signed up for a "brick" clinic in Milton early June (through www.womenstriathlon.com) as I'd like that to be less painful! (Here I am thinking of my next triathlon, when I haven't even done my first one!)
    I was sick on the weekend with my head in the toilet, so I haven't done anything since last Sunday, and am only just feeling energetic (which will probably work in my favour as I am more likely to relax and just "do my best" rather then worry if I am doing well (if that makes sense).
    Both kids are very excited (the younger one keeps talking about how he is getting a medal...), and I've been polling theweathernetwork.com every day - and every day it has gotten better. I think it will be fine - not too hot - perfect!

Good luck and have fun!
    Val

Zoot Tri suit on sale!

Always looking out for the deals!!!

Saw in my latest Athleta catalog that a Zoot Tri Suit (looks like a racer swimsuit) is on sale for $20. Item #8167 on Athleta.com - originally $66!!!!

~Angie