Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question First metric century...wrong bike?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm fairly new to cycling and just did my first metric century a few weeks ago! It was great, but I'm having some issues with pain, especially in my knees and shoulders, (and part of the reason I started biking was because I had to run less because of knee pain). When I bought my bike (Specialized Allez) the place where I bought it didn't do a proper fitting, just a stand-over the bar test. They also said a WSD bike wasn't necessary. I should have done more research but now I'm not sure my bike fits. Is this just part of the normal aches and pains of cycling or do I need to have a professional bike fitting? I'm tempted to go back to the same store and make them do it!

Hi Lisa, just call the bike shop and describe the problems you are having. They will ask you to come back in with the bike and they will tinker with your seat height, handlebars, and so on, until it fits better. It is normal to expect adjustments on your new bike. However, the bike shop can't help you unless you tell them.

I didn't have the shoulder pain, probably because I am riding a hybrid, but I got the pain in the right knee, and the LBS solved it by raising the seat. Solved the numb hand problem too.

This week my new road bike comes into the shop and I expect to go back and forth with it to the bike shop over the next month or so to get things adjusted and modifed.

Darcy

You probably don't need a WSD bike but you definately need more of a professional fit than a "stand over bar". Thats just aweful. Your LBS sounds like the one where I bought my mountain bike, and sadly, my road bike.

When I bought my mtn bike, they didn't even do a "stand over" on me, they just offered to take it out to my car. When I went in to purchase my road bike (the are the only local LBS that sells Giant) I told them about my first fitting experience (or lack there of) and was told that they never do a "fit" for mtn bikes, just road bikes. BTW - my road bike is not a WSD, its a mans medium frame, and I'm 5'7.

Well I'n certainly not the brightest bulb but that sounded like a real weak attempt at saving face. Luckily I already knew approx. what size I needed so I was able to work with the rest.

Go back to your LBS. Insist they fit you properly. Minor adjustments to your seat position/height; handlebars, etc, should all make riding much more enjoyable and definately less painful.
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

Ditto, Ditto on the getting a good bike fit done - it may need just very minor adjustments.

Early in the summer on an easy (flat) 3 day tour of 58 miles per day I mentioned my shoulders and forearms were hurting. I was told by a veteran rider that as I get tired I am leaning more on them and just to ride more. That made sense to me but I am very glad I didn't buy it.

I researched on my own, studied my own body composition (which women know well as we have been trying to find clothes to fit properly our whole lives) and I ended up coming up with my own solution (we don't have anyone around here who is very good at fitting women)

I put on a shorter stem and had my seat slightly adjusted, I completed my first 430 mile week long tour with a century day and had no discomfort that a few minutes at a rest stop and good chamois in my shorts wouldn't cure

Good luck and the Allez is great bike, you will love it when you get it fitted

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination