Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I don't know if they qualify as cyclocross bikes in any way, shape, or form, but you might want to give a brief look to a Bike Friday. Why a folding bike? Only because they have 20" wheels and are made in custom sizes to fit any size person, and at 4'9", your wife's options in stock bikes (unless you go with a child's model) are going to be very limited.

You can spec Fridays out in many different models, component types/levels, different handlebar shapes and sizes, and they can be quite light, depending on the componentry chosen. They also come in "petite" models, which are suitable for riders up to 125 lbs in weight. These models have thinner tubing so are even lighter. My Bike Friday is a drop-bar petite Pocket Crusoe, which I use for general utility rides, touring, and travel. I love it, and it has really held up to a lot of abuse - like riding our gravel road numerous times and riding across New York state with 30 lbs of panniers and gear without even a flat. Bike Fridays are steel bikes, not aluminum, but steel really helps with comfort. My bike comes with 406 wheels, which allow wider tires than 451s (on some BF models). They also make a mountain model, the Pocket Llama. The Crusoe that I have is more of a touring bike, and normally comes with flat or touring bars, but I prefer drop bars. I have bar-end shifters because I wanted to use mountain brakes (V-brakes) and mountain gearing in back for really tough climbs while doing loaded tours. The great thing about Bike Friday is that just about anything is possible. My husband also has one and loves his too.

Just another thought if one of these, properly equipped, could work for cyclocross, which I know very little about, just sticking my head in here for a moment....

Good luck!
    Emily

P.S. Here's what my bike looks like:
    Last edited by emily_in_nc; 09-25-2006 at 05:56 PM.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    $500 - $2,000 as far as budget.

Hoping for the following as minimum components: Aluminum frame, carbon fork (more forgiving for her bad back) and Shimano 105's.

You might have a hard time spending less than $2000 if you want a carbon fork, and shimano 105. I had a very hard time finding a complete bike in my size with the components that I wanted, so I had to have it built up. Redline Conquest Pro frames are about 600-700 (i think...but I'd have to check the price list for my bike build). Carbon forks are probably upwards of 250 (just a guess). Shimano build kits are 1000 (give or take). Plus labor, tax, pedals and seat (and maybe even a bike fit if she has back problems). So you might have a hard time fitting carbon fork and shimano 105 in a 2000 budget.
    Last edited by madisongrrl; 09-25-2006 at 11:24 PM.
    Just keep pedaling.