Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    Bet I can at least match you box for box.

And I haven't even started on mini-storage.
    LOL - mate I don't want to even think about all the books we have in storage back in Aust. Yikes I need a house with a huge library just to house them all. Shame I don't have the money for that sort of house.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

I knew you were a kindred spirit!

My realtor here in Oregon keeps making comments that the upper floor will cave in under the books.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I knew you were a kindred spirit!

My realtor here in Oregon keeps making comments that the upper floor will cave in under the books.
    Oh well at least you can balance the load by keeping all that wine downstairs.
    Amelia Earhart

beeeg

Ummm Trekhawk..you'd have to live in an upper crusty type suburb with all those books!

I'm sure you'll find a nice home for all those books! Wanna share some?

C

Okay, okay, old thread but I just read Book 1. I agree with V. What the ??? I don't get the popularity.
    I heard an radio interview with the author - had me in stitches. I don't like the books myself though.
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    Ummm Trekhawk..you'd have to live in an upper crusty type suburb with all those books!

I'm sure you'll find a nice home for all those books! Wanna share some?

C
    LOL - no upper crusty suburb for us I have seen the realestate prices in Perth. Actually you dont even need to live in a upper class area for the prices to be ridiculous.
    Amelia Earhart

yep

Tell me about it!!!!

I'm sure a nice affordable( ) house is awaiting the trekhawk family somewhere!

C

I just read the MOST interesting book---A Corpse in the Koryo--a mystery set in North Korea, written by a Western intelligence officer with many years of experience in Asia and Korea. It must be one of the very few English language novels written about North Korea by someone with rich knowledge about it. It sounds very much the way that non-fiction sources have described the country.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I picked up "YOU - Staying Young." I generally don't read those, but it looked entertaining. It is - and there is some good information too. It's not just "stress kills" but tells why in entertaining terms and gives solutions. Good holiday gift, I'd think.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I've always been a bit of a book worm.

In my room, I have stash of books I've collected from charity shops.

They range from Stephen King (have a dog-eared copy of "It"), H E Bates (The Darling Buds of May series), Bill Bryson, Pride & Prejudice, Lord of the Rings, Derek Tangye, Schlinder's List (it's heavy reading but very moving) and a few non-fiction.

There's a book I found about Jack Lovelock. He was a kiwi, who won a running gold medal in the 1936 olympic games & his rise to success is an interesting story.

My guilty pleasure is my near complete series of Anne of Green gable books.
    When I was a teanager, I discovered "Anne of the Island" and the dark, tall & handsome "Gilbert Blythe" - if only guys like that actually did exist

Happy reading
    Last edited by enzed; 11-27-2007 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    My favorite are historical novels and adventure stores,
    If you like historical novels and adventures, check out books by Bernard Cornwell. He writes some fantastic stuff, and they are several book sequels so your story won't finish too quick. I'm currently reading the Warlord chronicles, a three book sequel based around Arthurian legends. Another fantastic series was the three books from the time the Saxons were fighting the Danes for control of England. And he wrote a great book called Stonehenge, a novel about the building of Stonehenge. All his books are very well researched too and he includes a chapter at the end detailing the research he has done. BF is a big fan too and next on our reading list is his series based around the American civil war.

Quote Originally Posted by enzed View Post
    My guilty pleasure is my near complete series of Anne of Green gable books.
    When I was a teenager, I discovered "Anne of the Island" and the dark, tall & handsome "Gilbert Blythe" - if only guys like that actually did exist
    We must be kindred spirits, as Anne would say. I spent several years collecting the series from used book stores and reread them fairly regularly. I had read only Anne of Green Gables as a teenager, not realizing there was a series until I was an adult. I also have the Selected Journals of L.M. Montgomery. So much of Anne was really Maud Montgomery. Interesting reading if you're an Anne fan.
    Health is the thing that makes you feel like now is the best time of the year--Franklin Pierce Adams

My favorite authors:
    Fannie Flagg - Fried Green Tomatoes(my all time favorite movie) - have this book, haven't read it yet, any suggestions for her other novels?
    Patricia Cornwell
    Robin Cook
    James Paterson
    Michael Crichton
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

I am currently reading "The Borrowers" and last week I read a "James and the Giant Peach"... Wish I had time to read for myself...
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by kelownagirl View Post
    I am currently reading "The Borrowers" and last week I read a "James and the Giant Peach"... Wish I had time to read for myself...
    Borrowers was one of my favourite bks. when growin up.

Right now I'm reading the 100-mile diet. http://100milediet.org/book/
    It's about a couple who for environmental sustainability try eat food grown within 100 mile radius. I'm not sure I could do this....I like rice much more than potatoes as my staple. Guess I would have to grow curry leaves or somthin'. But at least there's seafood nearby...a meat type that I would pine for eventually.

I recommend this book alot. It makes you think not just about the farmers, but about diversity or lack of diversity of whole foods in one's diet.

Yea, bookworm alright. I must have sold off or given away at least 150 books when I moved from Ontario to British Columbia a few years ago. Prior to weeding, I must have had over 350 books. Realize that I worked in a bookstore for a few months....and also, in most librarians (I am one by formal training & most my career so far), there's a hidden book-lover, even if we appear very web-computer oriented in past few decades.

Having a smaller home, has tamed my book-buying habit...abit.