Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY

Comparing two shorts-which is smoother fit?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ok, here's what I want to do....
    I have some nice coldweather long winter biking pants and tights that do not have chamois. For longer (30mile+) rides, i would like to wear some chamois shorts underneath them.
    From reading reviews here, I have narrowed my choices down to two shorts:
    Sugoi 2006 RS Flex Short,
    and
    SheBeest Elite Distance 2.

My question:
    Of those two shorts, which one will be more smooth looking underneath the tights? By smooth, I mean no big indents around the bottom leg elastic (sausage effect), no major diaper effect sticking out the back, and no weird reverse-diaper pucker effect in the front. (am I describing this ok?)
    Doesn't have to be perfectly smooth, but it would be nice to avoid strange looking humps and dents.
    I am size medium, average weight and height, if that helps.
    Thanks for any input!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I hate what Sugoi has done to their shorts. To me the pad seems like a big uncomfortable diaper.

But I know there are other ladies here who love them.

V.
    Last edited by Veronica; 09-20-2006 at 07:10 PM.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

The sausage effect depends on your legs. Some brands are tighter in the leg than others. Call TE -- they advised me very well in the past.

I haven't tried on Sugui shorts in a couple years but I thought the leg elastic was too tight back then.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    Ok, here's what I want to do....
    I have some nice coldweather long winter biking pants and tights that do not have chamois. For longer (30mile+) rides, i would like to wear some chamois shorts underneath them.

My question:
    Of those two shorts, which one will be more smooth looking underneath the tights? By smooth, I mean no big indents around the bottom leg elastic (sausage effect),
    Lisa -- I've got some "non-chamois" tights too, and my choice to avoid that "sausage" thing is to get some knickers -- I wanted to have them for this weekend, but I guess it's going to be one of those things that I have to order, and wait for....

doggone it, my computer decided I was done before I did!

I like to be able to go to a store and try stuff on -- it's frustrating to do the wait/return thing. Hopefully I'm not going to regret ordering this time...

Karen in Boise
    Last edited by Kano; 09-20-2006 at 08:30 PM.

The Sugois are about four inches longer than my Trashy Cats, so about two inches longer than normal shorts, so WAY less sausage effect for me. I _love_ them. But they are, predictably, changing them...

Also, the chamois forms to my butt- doesn't stick out like diaper butt.
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

My thighs are pretty big and I wear the Shebeest Elite Distance 2 shorts. The gripper elastic at the leg openings is comfortable but also keeps the shorts in place. The chamois is thick and comfy -- these are the shorts I like to wear on my longish rides -- 40-80 miles.

If I'm doing 30 miles or so, I use Shebeest Pedal Pushers. It has the same chamois as the Triple S shorts, but I prefer the extra coverage I get from the Pedal Pusher.

On the forum I've read some good things about the Sugoi shorts, but have never tried them myself. I bought a Sugoi jersey once (Sugoi Convert jersey) and it was so tight and unflattering that it kinda put me off buying other Sugoi stuff.

Hope this helps,

Cari

I have the following shorts that I wear regularly, shebeest SSS, shebeest elite distance 2 and terry T-short (2006 version). The chamois is very similar in all of them, and goes from thin to thick as terry, triple s, elite distance 2. When I was riding my butterfly and getting bad labial abrasions, I had to wear the thickest shorts, elite distance 2, but since I moved to a brooks I find I am most comfortable on the thinnest terry t-short. I can still ride in the elite distance 2, but it feels like there is too much pad down there. None of them give me sausage legs, but he gripper on the terry is most comfortable to me. All are very nice soft comfy shorts. I also had warranty issues on my shebeest shorts (shebeest replaced them but they seem less well made than the terrys). I hope this helps!