Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question about seat post

To disable ads, please log-in.

My new bike has a suspension seat post on it. What do you girls think about these? I seem to be having a problem with my girlie parts going numb, and I am getting a cramp (charlie horse) in my hip on occasion. DH transferred my seat over from my mountain bike to the new bike. I did not have any problems with the seat before the new bike, which makes me wonder if the suspension on the seat is maybe causing a problem.
    Now I know that the new bike will take some getting used to but since I have the same seat I thought that would aliviate any problems there.
    I love this new bike, but I know I have some kinks to work out with it, until the fit is really good. I'm wondering too, if the suspension (with my weight) is bad for adjusting my seat height. Seems like we get it to the right height, while sitting still, but when I get home from a ride my knees hurt just a bit.

Just curious what you girls think.
    I need help quick, if I want to ride 50 miles on her at the end of the month.

Hi...

I had one of these types of seat posts on a hybrid bike some time ago. At the time it seemed ok, now for road riding I can't imagine using one.

Hmmm, if you weren't having problems with the seat before on the old bike, but now are with a new bike and suspension post...then it sure sounds like the post isnt working out for you.

Another possibility is just that the bike fit is not ideal. That can cause a lot of problems. You said the seat starts ok then slides down, so I dont know if that's a problem with the post or inherent in the design.

Maybe try the new bike without the suspension seat post. It would be a good place to start.

I posted this link for mtbdarby because she is in the market for a suspension seatpost. But you might want to check it out also. I looked at a few random reviews (out of curiosity) and there were some people who actually were more uncomfortable with their suspension seatposts.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/suspension_seatpost/
    Just keep pedaling.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    My flat bar road bike had a suspension seat post. It didn't cause me pain, but I gave it the nickname "Power Sucker" as it robbed power from my pedalling. I removed it, as I got a great deal on a carbon seatpost from my LBS. A million times better without it.

- edit, I think also with a suspension seatpost, you kind of have to set the seat a bit higher than you might normally, to account for compression of the post when you sit. I'm not sure, but you may want to get the fit checked at your LBS. (or...just toss the post for a rigid one).
    Last edited by 7rider; 09-19-2006 at 12:04 PM.

Hi Everyone!

originally posted by Regina My flat bar road bike had a suspension seat post. It didn't cause me pain, but I gave it the nickname "Power Sucker" as it robbed power from my pedalling. I removed it, as I got a great deal on a carbon seatpost from my LBS. A million times better without it.
    I just checked the specs of my bike & find that I have a suspension seat post (alloy)....
    "Power Sucker"!! <<-- Exactly!!

That explains (at least one reason) why my pedaling "doesn't feel" as efficient as (I think) it should.

Can I put a different seatpost on my hybrid?

Thanks!

Peace & Love,

Denise

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals".
    Immanuel Kant

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by Denise223 View Post
    Can I put a different seatpost on my hybrid?

Thanks!

Peace & Love,

Denise
    I don't see why not.
    You just have to make sure the diameter and length are the same so it will fit the seat tube. That info should be written on your current seatpost.

Thanks Regina!

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals".
    Immanuel Kant

I have a suspension seat post that came with my Breezer. After riding on it for 5 months nowl I can say for certain that it is not my cup of tea. I just got a reasonably priced Thomson elite (strong!) seatpost off eBay and will put it on just as soon as I can swing a B-67. For me, pedalling is less efficient with suspension seat posts.

I've changed seatposts on a couple of the bikes I've owned, for a variety of reasons--cracked post, needed more offset--and it was a snap. Takes some fiddling to get your seat back to the place where you want it, but worth the trouble if your current seatpost isn't treating you right.
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

Well, DH tightened the tension on the post so it didn't give as easily. My ride was much, much better!!! I even gained 1 mph in my speed with the wind blowing 20-25 mph. I am hoping that fixed the problem and it wasn't just me having a better day. Guess I will find out after I have ridden regularly for a little while. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

A suspension post is great (I think) for mountain bikers.

Alot of comfort/hybrid bikes have them and often new-to-cycling riders, or those who will ride at low speeds around town seem to have them.

My mother has a suspension post on her hybrid and couldn't imagine anything else.

I have ridden it once and immediately hated it.

It depends what type of cycling you want to do. Look at the pros who do your type of cycling, or the type of cycling you are aiming for and see if they use suspension seat posts or not and that may guide your choices.

Ultimately, your bike is about you. If you like the suspension seat post, if you have a comfortable ride on it - then maybe thats what you should have.

The seat post is less likely to cause discomfort than the angle of your seat - get that right first.

Good luck

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".