Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I only skimmed this thread.... My DH must be the only roadie guy that is worth a darn. He rides slower for me, waves at everyone and offers to help stranded cyclists.

He even gets annoyed when people don't wave back. And he waves or says hello to the people out on the sidewalks riding their Walmart bikes. Of course I have noticed he is a rare breed, that is why he is a keeper!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by yogabear View Post
    I like the sticker that says, 'If it has tires or testicles, you know it's gonna mean trouble' ROTFLMAO...

Okay, I've been mean for the day
    OK! I just had to clean my screen!!! Tooooooo Funny! I may have to steal that line sometime
    Don't think of it as getting hot flashes. Think of it as your inner child playing with matches

Quote Originally Posted by mary9761 View Post
    short thread hijack
    velocilex, are you planning to ride the Hilly in a couple weeks? I'm planning on being there myself. This will be my second and I hope to ride both days this year.
    End Hijack
    Hijacking again!
    Myself and a fwe other friends are coming too! We're camping in tent city. Come look us up!

Jeni

Paper Route???!!!

This thread reminded me of a crisp spring afternoon with my DH. We had ridden our mountain bikes over to a friend's to play in the woods behind his house. On the way home our paths crossed with a team, dressed in full team kit, pacelining and all serious-like. As we passed, I clearly heard one of them call out "paper route"!!! My DH looked at me and asked "Did he just call us paper route"? Yes, I believe he did.

Ah, arrogance!

I tend to wave or nod or say "hi" if I'm not gasping for breath. There is a big hill on the Bike Route, and I often see the same folks there. The protocol seems to be big happy friendly greetings if you're not zooming near the bottom of the hill or panting your way up it, or no greeting if you are. And no hard feelings either way.

When I see stranded bikers I stop if it's a woman. I slow and holler out "need help?" if it's a man. Yes, I'm paranoid, but that's a fault I can live with.

As far as the arrogance... hee hee. I get to see these dudes when they come to get their boo-boos taken care of. Feet of clay, I'm tellin' ya, feet of clay! I can make 'em suffer more than any hill!

(but really, I'm a nice person )
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by TrekJeni View Post
    Hijacking again!
    Myself and a fwe other friends are coming too! We're camping in tent city. Come look us up!

Jeni

Let's discuss closer to the time! I'd love to meet the infamous trekjeni

Quote Originally Posted by TrekJeni View Post
    Hijacking again!

Jeni
    I just received my volunteer packet in the mail today. I'll be working in the snack bar Friday night in the gymnasium where registration is. I'll be sure to have my camera handy.
    Don't think of it as getting hot flashes. Think of it as your inner child playing with matches

One thing interesting I've noticed: for the last three Saturdays, DH and I have ridden our Bike Fridays with four panniers and rack pack each to the farmer's market and food co-op for groceries. We see a lot of roadies out during these rides, and even the serious ones in full team kit tend to wave, sometimes even before we do! ALL the women wave, but even a large % of the men, riding alone or in pairs. I dunno if they respect us because we look like we're traveling across country rather than just across county, or what, but it's interesting that even riding little-wheeled bikes and fully loaded, we get a lot of friendly attention. Kinda nice!

Emily

P.S. One (male) cyclist even yelled out "good luck!" - I guess he assumed we were going a bit farther than the 10 more miles home.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Ok now, I think we all need to take a step back and look at why we are riding in the first place. Cycling is an indivdual sport, yes there are teams and groups, but it is mainly individual. I, personally, don't ride for anyone except myself, for my own well being and because it's great exercise and I really love being out on the road. So who really cares if there are other people out there that don't wave back? Who really cares what other people think of your equipment? I could care less that some roadie jerk out there thinks I'm less of a rider because I don't wear a team jersey. It's great when other cyclists are friendly and you can meet some really nice people while out on the road. But there are a lot of jerks out there. I have been on the recieving end of some condsecending and rude comments from other cyclists, but why should I care? Why should anyone care what anyone else thinks, as long as they're having a good time.
    It's only worth it if you're having fun

Quote Originally Posted by CycleChic06 View Post
    Ok now, I think we all need to take a step back and look at why we are riding in the first place. Cycling is an indivdual sport, yes there are teams and groups, but it is mainly individual. I, personally, don't ride for anyone except myself, for my own well being and because it's great exercise and I really love being out on the road. So who really cares if there are other people out there that don't wave back? Who really cares what other people think of your equipment? I could care less that some roadie jerk out there thinks I'm less of a rider because I don't wear a team jersey. It's great when other cyclists are friendly and you can meet some really nice people while out on the road. But there are a lot of jerks out there. I have been on the recieving end of some condsecending and rude comments from other cyclists, but why should I care? Why should anyone care what anyone else thinks, as long as they're having a good time.
    Good questions all. I guess for me, it comes down to the sense of community I feel with other cyclists. Like we're in our own little sub-culture, and it's kinda us against the big, bad cars and truck. I know that since we're both riding, we share at least some values, be it staying active/healthy, enjoyment of the outdoors, environmental/eco concerns, or whatever. Because I feel that sense of having at least something in common with every other cyclist on the road, from newbies riding hybrids on bike paths to racers in full-zoot kit in pacelines, I like to wave and/or say hello when I can (not if there's approaching traffic or I need both hands on handebars for whatever reason), and it's kinda nice if they do the same. I don't take it too personally if they don't, but it always gives me a good feeling when they do, like we share a little secret.

It's kinda like I feel a sense of camraderie with other Honda Element drivers...hard to put into words, but definitely there. I'd be more likely to let an Element cut in front of me in traffic than, say, a Hummer.

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

My theory with waving to everyone I see is to welcome them into our sport. I remember being a nervous newbie and I just imagine anyone I see might be trying this for the first time. It is about making everyone I see feel welcome and know that they couldn't have picked a better thing to be doing.

Every morning I am so happy to see this elderly gentleman who lives near me riding his hybrid. He gets out there at 6:30 in the morning with his lights and helmet and rides the same route. Honestly it warms my heart to see him because he looks like he is enjoying himself.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I don't expect roadies (or any other cyclists) to smile, wave, or offer me verbal greetings as I pass them. My only wish is to not be sneered at as I ride by. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Good questions all. I guess for me, it comes down to the sense of community I feel with other cyclists. Like we're in our own little sub-culture, and it's kinda us against the big, bad cars and truck.
    This pretty well sums up my take on the "to wave or not to wave" issue. I don't necessarily feel slighted if another cyclist doesn't wave--sometimes they're working too hard or just zeroed in on what they're doing, and that's OK. But I try to wave as much as possible, even if by "wave" I just mean lifting my fingers off the handlebar in a subtle, mute greeting--doesn't have to be a big old "howdy neighbor" love-fest. Just a tiny little gesture that says "We're all in this together, and isn't it great?"

As a not-so-svelte, slightly-past-middle-aged woman cyclist, I've had to get over being bugged by others who wonder what the heck I think I'm doing on a bike. Still, it's nice to see someone else acknowledge with their subtle wave that I am in fact "in the club," by which I mean the community of cyclists everywhere.
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

To wave or not to wave doesn't bother me so much. I take it as they are in training mindset and don't want to be brought out of it. Some of you guys ride pretty close to each other's wheels!! BUT I do get offended when I'm showing up for my first beginner, no drop ride and no one welcomes me, talks to me AFTER I'VE said hello, bothered to listen when I say my name, and they LEAVE me on the first hill of a NO DROP ride. We have a lot of LBS that play host to group rides here and it is VERY hard to get people to let you into their inner circle...even the beginner rides. I never felt like I was in a friendly group showing up for these rides. I felt like it was a big competition to see who we could all drop first.

Having said that - I now have many friends that are roadies and don't participate in the LBS rides and are wonderful, no matter what bike they are on. I assumed it was part of group riding culture. I hope I'm wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by yogabear View Post
    He's a sweet, respectful guy, especially towards women...He says we are smarter, better looking, and tougher than guys...What a sweetie, huh?
    I'd say smart and a keeper, too.