Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: overdoing it?

Red face overdoing it?

To disable ads, please log-in.

hi, i just got my new road bike the other day.
    yesterday i rode for approx 1 and a half hrs, then for about an hour later on, then i had to run an errand, and in total that was about 20 min. during the last long ride, i started having minor chest pain. i was done for the day, but my car is broke down and i had an errand to run, so i rode 10 min to the store and 10 back. on the way there i had mild chest pain, on the way back it was pretty noticable and i went very slow.

i overdid it didnt i?
    i dont usually ride for that long. before it was like a half hour tops.

oh yeah, and during the longer rides i also lost my breath a few times. i mean like, shortness of breath and i had to stop pedaling for a few minutes to breath normally again.

i have had my heart checked before, it skips a lot but the doctors say its ok. i do have a mild arythmia(sp?) but noone seems to be concerned. ive been checked out a lot before, ive had other health problems. i'm 27. im asking you guys what your opinions are, or if this is a normal reaction to pushing my body too much, or whatever...because i am positive if i go to the dr with this question, they will do the usual (give me a quick look-over, take the usual vitals, listen to my heart beat, and tell me i am totally fine)

i think my young age and the fact i look about 16 makes doctors believe nothing could possibly ever go wrong with my body.
    but, i'm also the paranoid type

i REALLY want to go out right now...but my heart still feels worn-out

Yes, it sounds like you pushed yourself too far, understandable, biking is wonderful Chest pains and shortness of breath, IMO, should be checked out. What about calling your docotr's office and speaking with the nurse, inform him/her you have started a new fitness routine and then explain what you felt/are feeling. If it is truly concerning you, go be seen tonight. It is better to err on the side of caution.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Sweetie, I don't mean to worry you, but I'd feel a whole lot better if you talked to a doc. Maybe a new doc who takes you seriously? Shortness of breath seems normal for someone who's newly riding, and a burning in the lungs from breathing hard. Takes time for the body to adjust to the new demands. Is your chest pain beyond those temporary sensations? I'm not a doctor or a nurse, but we just met you and we want to keep you!

believe me you dont know how many times i have gone to the dr about my heart...only to have what i call 'the usual' occur (nothing). a few times they have done ekg's (which came out normal) and another time i was in the hospital for something else and i had a heart monitor on for a while. i assume it was ok...they never did tell me the results. i wouldnt be surprised if they never got around to it. i have been seen by LOTS of doctors. i also suffer from mental illness, so unfortunately what other concerns i have arent taken seriously by them because according to them "my worry about my heart is part of my symptoms" (their words). i know i just lost some of you but i know some of you understand. anyway, i guess i'll give the dr a try, but it always feels like a complete and 100% waste of time. everytime i try a different doc its the same just a different building.

Hey there Tree - sounds great, but like the ladies have said - take it easy...

If you are desparate to get out again, just go for a short ride (20-30mins) over a fairly flat course, at low intensity (slow and low resistence)

It will give your body a slight aerobic workout, your legs will feel ok about it and at least you will know you have been out.

Because of the chest pain, make sure someone else knows where you are going and when to expect you back.

If the chest pain was new to you, I'd say see a doctor first - but sounds like you have been living with it for a while.

Just take it easy - remember your brain is ready, but all your muscles have to learn new ways of moving and set up strategies to cope with the new demands. Give your body time.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

** Disclaimer: I'm not doc. I'm in a diagnostic medical profession and this is strictly just my opinion.**
    Are you only having these symptoms when you bike or otherwise workout? If that's the case, they may not be getting a complete picture of what's happening to you. I would guide you towards a "stress test". This can be done at the hospital or at an outpatient facility. You go in, they put you on a treadmill, bike or other similar stressors and check out all kinds of things including your heart function. Of course it's more complicated than that, but you get the point. It could give a very good account of what may be ailing you. Also, there are a few different types of small, portable monitors that you can take with you for a few days. You do your normal routine (which for you includes biking) and it coughes out a full report. If you have an episode, make a note when/what you were doing and they will coordinate it with your monitor. Depending on where you live, there may be cardiac imaging modalities, non-invasive, that you can ask for.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
    Cindy
    Oh, that's gonna bruise...
    Only the suppressed word is dangerous. ~Ludwig Börne

Quote Originally Posted by inatree
    i know i just lost some of you but i know some of you understand. anyway,
    We don't scare so easily, we're cyclists.

well i went to the doc and they are sending me to the cardiologist.
    i'm kind of glad i'm going but i hope they dont find anything.

since then ive had no chest pain on rides....i am just not doing long ones anymore. my heart always feels worn out tho after rides. anyone's else's feel that way?

I am glad you are going to see a cardiologist. Let us know what he/she says. And no, we do not scare easily.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Glad you are going to get this checked out - you shouldn't have you heart feeling exhausted/worn out after rides...

Your legs, yep, if you ride hard... but not your heart

Let us know how it pans out for you

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

I'm glad you're getting checked out, and I'll second the recommendation of using the 24hr monitoring device. The one I've seen used has EKG leeds and a HR monitor on it, and anytime you feel symptoms, you push a little button so the doctors can focus in on that time period. It's called a Holter monitor, and I'm sure the cardiologist will have used them before. Just make sure you can use the monitor on a day where you can go out and do a hard ride.

Let us know what happens!

It would be great if you can be monitored during a ride! Then - if everything is checking out to be fine - maybe the chest pain/ heart feeling "tired" are results of your effort that will fade as your body adjusts to the new demands you are putting on it. I think it's really wonderful that you're taking care of your health and keeping on with the cycling.

I hope soon that you'll find a riding buddy or two. Keep an ear out for what clubs might be around that do beginner rides.

Keep in touch and let us know how it's going.