Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    I'm not fibbing. But I did deliberatly crack the class up saying fart several times.

Ohhhhh... and at back to school night, talking about family life (sex ed in our district) I said penis - in front of all those parents! Our sex ed curriculum is too explicit.

V.
    At least you don't use "those fonts"..... do you? (We even heard about that in Hawaii!!)
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    At least you don't use "those fonts"..... do you? (We even heard about that in Hawaii!!)
    ok, I'm twisting my brain into little moebius strips trying to figure out what this means... plase explain?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    I wish that you wouldn't fixedgeargirl. We've certainly heard everyone else's opinion on this thread.
    Okay, here's a thought:

Why is it that an action, that if perpetrated against an adult stranger of any stature would result in criminal charges, is *okay* if perpetrated against someone 1/5th your size who trusts you completely and implicitly with their very survival?

Why is that a student who has attacked others with nails, not the fingernail kind, the hammering kind, punched a teacher and is verbally abusive to the entire class everyday, is allowed to stay in public school?

I honestly believe that most people who responded with ways to "dsicipline" were rather tongue in cheek.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

That sounds like a frightening situation, V., and I don't understand why the administration would allow someone like that in the school. At the root of it, I would suspect an abusive/neglectful home situation and/or sensory or developmental issues.

Tongue in cheek humor can mask a lot of buried pain and shame.
    The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart. ~Iris Murdoch, The Red and the Green

Quote Originally Posted by fixedgeargirl View Post
    That sounds like a frightening situation, V., and I don't understand why the administration would allow someone like that in the school. At the root of it, I would suspect an abusive/neglectful home situation and/or sensory or developmental issues.
    This was my class a few years ago. He was/is emotionally disturbed, placed at my school in my room after the punching incident at another school. My district wanted me to babysit him until the end of the year when he could be placed in special school as a 6th grader.

Yes there were a lot issues. But what bothered me the most was that the learning of my other students took a back seat to dealing with this kid every day. And that still happens in classrooms. "Edgar" is a drug baby, has a low IQ, can't do any of the work required, so cuts up because it gets him attention and he needs something to do. Since he is performing at his capacity, he's not given any extra help and his IQ isn't low enough for him to go to a special class.

Yeah being a teacher is way different from being a parent, because I actually have standards that I am suppose to help my 30 students achieve before the end of the year. AND according to the president, even Edgar is suppose to meet those standards.

BTW I was abused as a kid. I know the difference between abuse and teaching a child to have consideration and respect for him/herself and others.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

FixedGirl, unfortunately we live in a society that lets NBA (and NFL) players attack coaches and photographers without legal punishment. Kids see this in the news regularly; their "heros" abuse others with impunity. (I use the term hero loosely because hero worship of pro athletes is a whole 'nother crazy topic.)

My father was so exhausted from being a parent to all his students who didn't get attention in their own homes that he wasn't a parent in his. As his daughter, I want to thank all those parents who let him do the parenting for them. It certainly helped me.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

V, I just want to say to you that I appreciate you. My son has had very good teachers so far except 1 and he is now in the 6th grade. That has got to be one of the hardest jobs there is and a good teacher that really cares is a great asset to society. You are teaching our future generation, and helping the parents of this generation and more.
    I'm what they call a helicopter mom, not sure if that is an insult or compliment, but whichever, I admit to it. I volunteered a lot during my son's elementary years and I saw so many things with parents and children. It's just unbelievable what you teachers must deal with. I'm not a perfect parent by any means but I really try, and I feel so sorry for some of the kids I saw daily. I try not to be judgemental, but sometimes it's really hard. I can't imagine what must go through teachers heads with some of the children and their parents. Anyway, Thank you for all you do, and that goes for all teachers!!

Quote Originally Posted by CyclChyk View Post
    Unruly kids usually tick me off, but I'm beginning to wonder if I should be ticked at the parent(s). Please let me apologize up front if I offend any kid lovers out there but.................

Why do parents let their kids play/run/ride in the path of traffic?? Not highway traffic, but for example:
    1. roads in your subdivision - so just because you and your kids live here means you don't have to get out of the street when a car comes by??
    I live here too. Why do I have to stop my car and inch around you/your kids when I have the right of way and you saw me coming a 1/4 mile away??

Ok. I've vented. I think I'll go eat some peanut butter and then I'll feel much better.

Thanks for listening and again, I apologize if I've offended anyone. It wasn't my intention.
    emerging from lurkdom.

re #1.
    Maybe they didn't see you. Maybe they are really involved in the game. Maybe you are going too fast and they are being passive/aggressive. Ok, that last one's a joke.. but if kids can't play in front of their own homes, where CAN they play?

I suggest you put slow down, take a deep breath, put down the latte and the cell phone, and be happy the kids are playing outside instead of a) sitting on their butts in front of video games or b) hanging out at the mall doing drugs with their friends. Maybe you need to give yourself a little more time to get to where ever you need to go, so that waiting for kids to step out of the way won't be such a stressor? They do make adult only communties, perhaps you should consider moving to one.

back to lurking.
    Last edited by Irulan; 09-22-2006 at 05:19 PM.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    They do make adult only communties, perhaps you should consider moving to one.
    Oh if only!! Unfortunately I'm too young (yea!!) for an all adult community. Besides, if I did that, I'd have to find something else to b**ch about and getting people riled up over kids is so much fun!!
    ~Petra~
    Bianchiste TE Girls

flectere si nequeo superos, Achaeronta movebo

Nice to see you again, Irulan!!
    fides quaerens intellectum (faith seeking understanding) - St. Anselm of Canterbury

Originally Posted by maillotpois

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    ok, I'm twisting my brain into little moebius strips trying to figure out what this means... plase explain?
    The cover sheet for a 3rd grade spelling class had "inadvertently" used a font called "Group Sex". Here's a link to the news story:
    http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/609180346

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    emerging from lurkdom.
    No going back to lurkdom - we have missed you.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V