Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Unhappy Kidney stones, hydration & 'lyte replacement

To disable ads, please log-in.

This has not been a good cycling year for me: overwork, overwet, & family health issues have all cut into my riding time seriously. So in July when I had a free day to ride I took it inspite of mid-nineties temperatures, a sunny sky, and about 80% humidity. I drank about 2.6 gallons on that day, but did not have to urinate until I was nearly back home, and that urine was fairly dark. PMC week-end I was well hydrated, about 70 oz every 40 miles & added Elete to each refill. I sprained my thumb on the ride and couldn't ride comfortably for about 4 weeks. I had just started riding to work again 2 weeks ago, then 9/11 I woke up with flank pain that progressed to nausea & vomiting. I headed to the ER, where I was vomiting so much that they had trouble getting an IV catheter into me. Spiral CT scan showed a 1.2 cm stone in my ureter, just about into my bladder. Urologist thought I could pass it at home with pain med and lots of water. So far I haven't, KUB still show it in the same location. My questions for fellow stone sufferers:

Have you been advised to limit sodium intake while riding? (There is some evidence that high sodium levels increase the amount of calcium moving into the urine). Have you encountered any studies on balancing hyponatremia & hypercalciuria?

Most sites recommend you drink in ounces 1/2 your weight in pounds, which for me works out to the usual 8 glasses of 8 oz each, then double that during exercise, and double again in high heat. That only comes out to 2 gallons for me. However, my diminished urine output & subsequent stone formation suggest that formula is inadequete. Do you have any better methocs of tracking hydration?

Anyone had a stent or uretoscopic basket removal? Laser fragmentation?

Do you think it would be unwise to ride while I'm trying to pass this little sucker?

Geez, how yucky. Does your urologist have a colleague in his specialty who runs or cycles that he could consult to get specific advice for you?

The thought of kidney stones makes me shudder. I have had about four of them with the last being in March. Mine have been tested in the past as being uric acid stones. I was told to drink at least 64 oz of water a day and stay away from dark sodas (coke, dr. pepper, etc). I wish I had more advice regarding hydration during cycling but your hydration schedule seems adequate. I hope it passes on its own for you though it may make you squeal when it comes out! My sister-in-law had a large one broken up and she passed small stones for days. Good luck with it because I know how excruciating (and frustrating) it can be.

I'm sorry to hear of your health problems. I have heard how painful renal calculi can be. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Sending you a PM.

Quillfred
    Yes, SHE can.

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly"
    Gilbert K. Chesterton

I had a little one because at work we don't have time to drink or pee. I did NOT enjoy the experience. (passed it at work, and didn't fish it out to have it checked. Couldn't believe it was real. And it was the work toilet... icky.)

Wishing you the best with yours!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Wish I had some good advice for you! Just want to send you my best wishes! And hopes that you are able to pass the painful little critter with as little agony as possible!

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

1.2 centimeters?!

I personally wouldn't go riding until it passes. If you absolutely must... stay close in town and be sure to have your charged cellphone with you and someone available to pick you up in case you get another attack of renal colic while on the bike.

Also try your best to save the stone so that they can analyze it's chemical content. There are 4 primary types of kidney stones, each caused by different dietary habits and health conditions. You'll want to know what kind of stone it was so that you know what kind of diet to maintain in the future.

Yeah. Don't be like me and just flush the little sucker down the toilet!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson