Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Is Livestrong 100 miles crazy to consider for me?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ok, so I've recently switched from my mountain bike to my road bike (as in last week). Thus far my longest ride was about 25 miles on the mountain bike...stopping due to time, not because of fatigue...and that was at a fast pace for a mountain bike.

I've been more a runner than a biker within the last 8 years...this past year completing a 1/2 marathon, 10 miler...and most recently a sprint duathlon.

Nonetheless...Livestrong Philadelphia is happening 10 minutes from my house in September...and I'm considering signing up. But for some crazy reason...I want to do the 100 miler (even though there are two road races and shorter biking distances). I know it's a ride and not a race...so that soothes me...

But, is it dangerous to sign up for such a long ride so new to cycling. I don't want to injure myself. I'm in great phsycial shape from running...but I also know that running/biking are different and require different muscles.

For some reason I think the folks I ask to donate will be more impressed if I say I'm biking 100 miles than any other distance...plus, it just seems like a lot of fun. Also, I read that if don't make the cut off times they'll switch my loop anyway to something shorter.

Any advice? (To be honest the fundraising scares me more than the biking...I just don't want to be stupid...working out is very important to me and I'd hate to injure myself and not be able to do what I love)

The other ladies here would know better than I would, but since I'm new to cycling and also training for my first century, I thought I'd throw my two cents in. I started cycling in May and signed up for a century happening in mid-August. I personally felt that it was enough time to train and work on gradually increasing my mileage. I see that Livestrong is on September 9th, IMO that would be cutting it short as far as time to train and then tapering off the week before, but someone else might not agree.

You'll do fine.

My only MTB riding is using the MTB to ride to work and that's with slicks. Even on the road I feel it's more work than the road bike. As far as I know there's no math formula but I'd say if you're doing 25 miles off road in comfort it's like you're already doing metric centuries.

You will need to "get used to" a more continual ride style, that is stop and stretch if you need too but generaly there's less of that on the road. And the position and being comfy on your road bike, how to handle/manage rest stops but read and post here and the TE gal's will show you how!

You'll do fine.

Go on, sign up!! We want to hear all about it.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Thanks for your responses. Trek--I should have mentioned that my mtbing was with slicks on a road in prep for the duathlon...not sure if that changes your response or not.

Still debating.....

THe slicks would make it a bit easier - but if you can do 25 miles easily, *and* you're used to pacing yourself in athletic stuff, you can do this. Don't take it out too fast.

I'm in the contrary opinion it seems.

For me personally, I wouldn't do the 100 miler. I don't doubt you already are or would be soon, aerobically fit enough. Not at all.

Rather, I'd be more worried about such a big increase in distance and what it will do to your joints, etc. Before I did my first century some years ago, I suffered problems with injuries due to rapid increases in distance. My cardiovascular system said GO, but my joints weren't nearly as cooperative. If you are a runner then you probably already know the 10% rule as far as increasing weekly mileage.

Do what feels best, but definitely, listen to your body very closely. Whether you do the event or not, best of luck

I think that going from a max of 25 miles to riding 100 miles in just six weeks is too fast. That doesn't mean you won't be able to ride the 100 miles - but ride it well?

I did a century with a friend many years ago. I trained for the century, getting a lot of miles under my wheels and working up to longer rides on a consistent basis. My friend - who was in very good shape - did not do the distance training. She rode shorter distances consistently, and she did some shorter distance triathlons. She had a really hard time finishing the century (and it was a ride, definitely not a race). In contrast, the distance was much easier for me, and I could have happily continued riding at the end of the 100 miles.

Does this ride have a metric century? I think that's still a big jump in miles, but it feels more possible to me. And you can still say you're planning to do a century (100 kilometers is certainly a form of a century).

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

GirlWonder,

How did the ride go? I did the 70 mile in Philly and boy, weren't those hills fun? Love to hear how you did!

Sarah