Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Rain Gear

Rain Gear

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey, I know there's a thread for cold weather and while it's cold here in California in the winter (don't laugh you snow bunnies), I 'm more concerned about the rain cuz I can always layer for the cold.

Anyone have some specific jacket and bottom recommendations that are good water and wind protection? It wouldn't hurt if they were kind warm as well cuz then I can just wear my shorts under them or maybe my jeans.

This is probably more for light or moderate rain and wind. Anything more and I'm taking the car.
    Last edited by roguedog; 09-15-2006 at 08:10 AM.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Gore-tex might be a good choice. My rain/windbreaker jacket is breathable but guarenteed to keep me dry and it does block the wind. It is medium weight and not too bulky.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by roguedog
    Hey, I know there's a thread for cold weather and while it's cold here in California in the winter (don't laugh you snow bunnies), I 'm more concerned about the rain cuz I can always layer for the cold.

Anyone have some specific jacket and bottom recommendations that are good water and wind protection? It wouldn't hurt if they were kind warm as well cuz then I can just wear my shorts under them or maybe my jeans.

This is probably more for light or moderate rain and wind. Anything more and I'm taking the car.
    I ride through winter and have been pretty happy with my Sugoi Firewall Tights and Burley Rock Point Rain Jacket and Helmet Cover.
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=15717
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=21997

I also like to wear a ball cap under my helmet if the rain is heavy.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

You'd better snap up that Burley rain jacket quick. I've heard they're going to discontinue making their rain gear, and focus on the trailers.

I have their rain pants and love them, but only use them for commuting. I don't mind my legs getting pretty soaked on a recreational ride, as long as my core stays warm and dry.
    I don't crash so much anymore (less blood on the trail), so just call me Stephanie

I'll tell you what I think of bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than any one thing in the world. I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood. ~ Susan B. Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Trekhawk View Post
    I ride through winter and have been pretty happy with my Sugoi Firewall Tights and Burley Rock Point Rain Jacket and Helmet Cover.
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=15717
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=21997

I also like to wear a ball cap under my helmet if the rain is heavy.

You wear the tights over a pair of chamois-shorts?

Love my Burley Rock Point jacket. I also ride right through winter.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I have a kayaking jacket with neoprene wrist and neck and breathable fabric that works pretty darn well on the bike.

Gotta do something about my eyes in the rain, though. And something for my head might help. And my feet. Oh, and not to forget my hands.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I am deeply in love with my Showers Pass jacket. There's a whole shrine thread to it here.

As for rain pants, the Burleys are wonderfully made but every time I've tried them on they just don't fit me properly. At all. I've been using some REI cheapo rain pants for the last few years which need some serious repair involving duct tape at this point. Has anyone tried these Pearl Izumi Instinct rainpants yet?

If you look at the Southeast section, the Six Gap thread, you can see me in my Showers Pass jacket. Notice how my report says I am not cold. Notice how miserable the others are.

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

I have the PI Instinct jacket (men's version was a better fit for me) and I like it alot. Huge pit zips. I don't get sweaty inside except in the arms where there's no ventillation.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    You wear the tights over a pair of chamois-shorts?

Love my Burley Rock Point jacket. I also ride right through winter.
    Yep over my normal cycling shorts - I dont ride without my chamois.
    Amelia Earhart

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Gotta do something about my eyes in the rain, though.

Thats what the baseball cap is for. It keeps the rain out of your eyes. It works well when you get caught in a hail storm too.
    Amelia Earhart