Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

How Do You Do It?

To disable ads, please log-in.

DH and I rode the MS150 in 2005 and 2006. Both times I have really enjoyed the ride, but the fundraising hasn't gone as well. I really believe in what the MS Society is trying to accomplish. I have a neurological disorder myself and I just feel like I should ride for those who can't ride.

This year we both only managed the $400 minimum. This included $200 out of our own pockets. I got very close to $400, but DH had even more trouble. We don't have a lot of friends that can afford large donations. Many of my friends knew how passionate I was and donated $5. I want to this again, but I want to raise the $400 and more. The registration is about to open and I am hesitant to sign up because the fundraising is so hard. I don't mind spending some of my money, but I would rather donate to get above $400.

Any tips?
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I wrote a great e mail about my good friend SK. I sent it to friends, family and coworkers. That helped a lot, with the personal connection added. I also "happened" to mention it in the staff room when some school board members were there.

I don't do a fundraiser like that every year, because I end up asking the same people over and over. My off years I make a point of donating to someone else.

V.
    Last edited by Veronica; 09-15-2006 at 04:34 AM.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

And she shook down her 5th graders for their milk money

Shhhh... don't tell my secrets.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

You could also post here. I know quite a few riders did in 2005 with the links to their donation sites.........I don't remember seeing as many this year but then the board has gotten so big I can't keep up with all the "new posts" anymore. Several ppl on the board would be more than willing to donate to a fellow rider if we know you're in need.

(or shake down our grade-school kids for ya)
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    I don't do a fundraiser like that every year, because I end up asking the same people over and over. My off years I make a point of donating to someone else.

V.

An off year is a good idea. I don't want to take 2007 off because I may not be able to ride 2008. DH and I might have a little family planning on the horizon late next year. A two day tour pregnant- EEK!

Has anyone had any luck raising funds from complete strangers? They always throw out ideas in the packet, but they seem somewhat far fetched. I thought about doing a small garage sale for donations. Or maybe Ebay-ing some stuff.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I've been sponsored by complete strangers, don't leave home without your pledge forms and I know people who make business cards with their pledge site on it. You never know when you will meet people who care deeply about the cause you are riding for (one tip is wear the t-shirt a lot )

Bikegoddess on the board here would chat up the bus riders on the way to work, got them all...and the driver...to sponsor her on AIDS ride 4.

There are tips here...

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...ndraising+tips

I'm gonna shake down kids for milk money
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

This may sound a little goofy but I got dressed in my riding clothes, from helmet to clipless shoes, and made a sign for the cause I was riding for (Tour de Pink-to sponsor mammograms for underserved women in Houston) and stood out in front of a college and asked people to fill my helmet (I used an extra one with a bowl in it) for mammograms.......after 6 hours I collected $275.00 ($40.00 in change!!) I was handing out a flyer with my personal page for the site and several people later did log on and donate. Complete strangers. Now, I know I looked a tad bit ridiculous, I am close to 50 years old, but it was worth it.

Good luck!!
    "Every man dies. Not every man really lives."
    Braveheart

http://www.foodandpoker.blogspot.com/

Fundraising 101

I raised $4,000 for the Breast Cancer 3-Day. I'm not big of the face-to-face approach, so I wrote a letter (using the form letters that they had in their data base), printed the letters and pledge forms on colored paper so they wouldn't get easily lost in the mail pile and included a self addressed stamped envelope. Then I sent the letters to everyone on my christmas card list.

The biggest thing you have to remember is that you are not asking for money. You are asking them to donate to a cause that you beleive in. If they say no, they aren't saying no to you. It's not personal. When you can get past that hurdle, it's easier to ask anyone and everyone.
    "The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community." -- Ann Strong, Minneapolis Tribune, 1895

I did something similar to Allezgirl. I wrote a letter using the examples from our local chapter as a guide. I made it personal by adding some quick snippets about some of the people I've met with MS in our fundraising efforts.

I then sent it to everyone on our wedding guest list! Then I called my mom and asked her for some names...and I sent a slightly different letter to her friends (ones where I added my maiden name so that they'd know who I was).

I raised over $2300 and the vast bulk of that was from these letters.

I'm in the process of putting together the thank you letter with a story about the ride, photos and a reminder that we plan to do the same ride next year as well.

Next year, we will expand this to a door-to-door effort in our neighborhood. Oh, and asking local businesses is also good.

These are great ideas -- and I need some, since I made my minimum for the Livestrong ride but my husband hasn't. He doesn't have a blog and just can't bring himself to ask people outright. He's gotten some donations from his sigline link, though.

If he doesn't pick up enough, I'm going to offer my services on a screenwriting bulletin board, to do notes/critique on scripts if people will donate to my husband's ride. I haven't decided how much to ask them to donate, but in this situation I may ask them to donate a minimum of 50 dollars, because that's a very reasonable charge.

So, bartering or auctioning off services might be another way.

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”