Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hunting for supershort cranks

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all,

At the moment, I'm obsessively searching for supershort cranks (<165), to replace the 170s that stupidly came with my new road bike. (It was a store demo of a custom frame, so got some leftover/slightly used parts.) I'm very petite - 5' on a good day - and so I have to get those 170s off ASAP.

But since I have to shop for a new crankset, I'm determined to find something shorter than 165, since I know that my ideal length is actually quite a bit shorter. Like around 150!

Anyway, I thought I'd share the results of my search so far, in case anyone out there also was interested in trying something smaller than 165.

1) If I had more $$$ to spend, there's a semi-obscure French brand called TA that has production sizes down to 150. Unfortunately, that comes out to $400+ when you include the bottom bracket, and I don't have nearly that kind of budget right now for this replacement.

2) There are some really ugly BMX cranks that go down to 140, but I'm totally unwilling to put something like that on my new bike.

3) I found an interesting builder in MN (bikesmithdesign.com) who specializes in trimming down longer cranks for recumbent cyclists. I was about to buy a closeout Ultegra 175 to send to him to trim down to 153, but then he told me that wasn't the right choice for me - I would end up needing much lower gears with the shortened crank. So, right now I'm waiting for his recommendations.

4) I found a tiny store out in Berkeley (jitensha.com) that carries an affordable Sugino compact crank in 160. Now I'm getting really, really close!

5) I found out that Sugino actually makes that crank even smaller - 152.5! But I managed to dig that up on a translated German website. That German store has a very nice range of chainring choices for the same crankset, from budget to very expensive.

So, right now I'm just waiting to hear back from various places. Will the German place export to me at a reasonable cost? Can little Berkeley store special order the 152.5? Can the best LBS in my area special order the 152.5?

(sigh) the trials and tribulations of getting a road bike to really fit when you're as short as I am!

Jen

why shorter?

Interesting, I"m currently building my dream bike and I'm putting on longer cranks. I currently ride 165 but I'm trying longer. May work out, may not. I'm interested in learning how you know the right length for you. I"ve found so many different opinions and calculations that trial and error seem to be the best solution. BTW, I'm just 5'1 3/4. I understand it's more about the femural length than your height however.

Here are two sites that carry 165 cranks and even some 160. I have 165 cranks and I do think they make a difference. You can read the articles at Sheldon Brown's site too.
    www.aebike.com
    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com
    www. sheldonbrown.com

Since I definitely have to get rid of the 170s, I am sort of experimenting to see whether the numbers generated by various fit calculators (I've used Zinn, Peter White's websites, among others) really are the right solution. Also, I had 165s on my last road bike, and toward the end of my longest ride on that bike, I was developing a slight knee twinge.

However, I am quickly learning that if I do make such a dramatic step, it also means going for much lower gearing - something more like MTB gearing.

All in all, I'm motivated by the fact that on my last road bike, I was ridiculously slow given my level of overall fitness. Part of it was that the frame was too large. But I'm guessing that a large part of it was the drivetrain - cranks too long, rings too large for me. Getting all of the components to scale down proportionately on a tiny bike is a real challenge, but my limited knowledge of physics/mechanics suggests to me that it's the right strategy!

Quote Originally Posted by jenxxs
    1) If I had more $$$ to spend, there's a semi-obscure French brand called TA that has production sizes down to 150. Unfortunately, that comes out to $400+ when you include the bottom bracket, and I don't have nearly that kind of budget right now for this replacement.
    Actually, TA cranksets were pretty common in the 1970s on French and British bikes. Things like the Raleigh Competition, an entry-level racing bike, came with them. There was alot of variety in cranksets then with no one company dominating the market except Campy at the high end. Though I don't remember much variation in crank arm length - seemed like everything came with 170s. Interesting to hear that TA has a niche market now.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Geez, I wish TA were still so common that they would be more affordable! Then I could even get them locally, b/c I live near Harris Cyclery.

I decided to change over to a compact double and had a hard time finding any with 165 cranks. TA had them and I ended up with a Stronglight. I got it from a French company through an online site. xxcycle Working out so far, although the bottom bracket loosened up on me last weekend. I have since gotten it tightened up and ready to go for my charity ride this weekend.

Linda

Hey the guy who wrote Zen and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance, builds custom bikes and I believe sells custom cranks:

http://www.zinncycles.com/cranks.aspx

If you're just guessing your length, I'd also talk to him bout measuring your size. He has a nice frame size calc on his site which also spits out the crank arm size but I'd prob also call to confirm.

Best,

rd

$469 YIKEs... Well.. at least he's domestic??

Well, maybe you can try gvhbikes.com who also builds semi custom bikes or rivendell (http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/crank...gs/12067.html).
    Last edited by roguedog; 09-14-2006 at 09:30 PM. Reason: a bit more research

Yeah, there's no way I could consider the $$$$ option of custom cranks, but I totally can understand why people do it if they have the money. It's the freakishly tall people out there who really have to go custom, because they have fewer options. But I certainly am not one of them

Looks like I may be going with the German import. They've been very nice to deal with so far. And even with the shipping, $170 is not bad for a cranklength that I literally can't find anywhere else in this country (except for TA for twice the price), with very high quality rings.

the rivendell link goes to a sugino crank that's 165 for 115..

Yeah, I know, I've found a nice version of the Sugino 165s for only 99. But right now, I'm willing to pay the extra bucks to experiment with the 152.5s. If for some reason those turn out to be too short, I am pretty sure I could easily resell them to a recumbent rider, because that's where the market is right now for the supershort cranks.