Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you get massage?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I went for a massage today because my hip's been so sore. And I'm on vacation. The therapist commented that it was "remarkable" that I was so tight from above my left hip all the way down to my ankle. "It's like a perfect line of tightness". We didn't even get to the right elbow tendonitis.

Of course she asked, "Do you get regular massages?" (Why even ask? It's abundantly clear that I don't! )

I realized that before this year, I didn't really consider myself an athlete. I've been running and doing triathlon for four years, but it felt like something of a fluke. I think running a 1/2 and full marathon last fall pushed it over the edge, even in my denial-ridden brain.

Next year I want to do a 1/2 Ironman tri. It's dawning on me that I will need to be much smarter in my training than I've ever been. You can be 24 and just go full out, or you can be 47, and train intelligently.

So, OK, regular massage. How regularly would that be? What do you ladies do?
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

I give massages every dang day. Haven't gotten one in about 1 1/2 years.

I've got a "perfect line of tightness" (aka myofascial meridian) on my right side that I must get worked out. But $70 could buy so much good bike stuff...
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Folks keep telling me how wonderful massages are but I think I'd come out the worse for wear. I can't handle the idea of someone touching me for money. I'm a very huggy kind of person but I really resent time spent on "foo-foo" stuff. Now, I know, massage for therapeutic reasons isn't foo-foo, but I can't get my mind wrapped around that. I think I'd be one uptight bundle of noives.

So, I'll be 47 and still train unintelligently. Stoic, that's me.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet
    I've got a "perfect line of tightness" (aka myofascial meridian) on my right side that I must get worked out. But $70 could buy so much good bike stuff...
    Interesting phrase, "myofacial meridian". Pleasing to say. And makes sense.

I came home from the massage, called TE, and cancelled the on-sale yet very expensive jacket I'd impulsively added to my knickers order right before the massage. $160 will buy two massages. While this jacket is a good deal and would be wonderful, I can make do with what I've got for weather riding. I'll keep my eye out for a similar windproof, waterproof, yet vented and brightly colored jacket on Steep&Cheap. Or keep on doing what I do with what I already have!

Two massages would actually help me be healthier and stronger. If I buy 5 massages, they give a 10% discount. This is a women's spa called Thousand Waves www.thousandwavesspa.com
    I thought of you, KN, because they are commited to helping women with cancer, and have been for at least 15 years that I can remember. A woman in treatment for cancer can get 5 free treatments, and 5 free spa visits.

I don't get massage because it costs money. But I'm going to invest a lot of time and no small amount of money in a 1/2 IM tri. I should do everything I can to actually get not only to the start line, but the finish line as well. Happy and strong.

I'm also going to pick up a foam roller and work on this myofascial meridian myself!
    Last edited by Lise; 09-13-2006 at 03:21 PM.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

I like to go once a month, more or less depending on how tight I am. My sports chiropractic office has massage therapists, so I am able to get worked on for my $35 insurance copay. There's no soft music, heated beds or aromatherapy, but they get the job done!

Massages are wonderful...however, I agree, they are so much money... that I would rather spend on bike things! But I did just get a massage last weekend, after years of going without, and it was wonderful. It also took away some nagging lower back pain. So now I've changed my story a little. I plan on getting a message whenever I feel terribly tight in my back!

My brother gets a message twice a month, but then again, he doesn't ride a bike and therefore has money to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet
    I give massages every dang day. Haven't gotten one in about 1 1/2 years.

Check out the Seattle Institute for Oriental Medicine (www.siom.edu)
    Give them a call and see if and when they will be starting up the Tui Na (Chinese massage) clinics again. The massages are given by students, but at $20 for an hours worth of massage they are great and even somewhat affordable. I went to them every couple of weeks throughout the racing season this year and I highly recommend it.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

KNotted -- schools where they teach massage therapy sometimes "need victims." Is this a good place for those of us who would rather spend money on bike toys to keep from using up all our bike budget on massages?

Karen in Boise

I wish I could afford massages, I would go all the time.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Lise - the foam rollers are awesome.

I get a massage every 3 weeks - it started out as a chiropractic session a few years ago. I had a slightly crooked spine, Mara helped get me straightened out. She is also an amazing massage therapist, so I go to her to keep my shoulders from gripping my ears . She also takes care of my arms and wrists, so I don't end up in PT again. Every few months I also see Bob, he does the really deep tissue massage. I'm usually sore when he's done with me.

I had a couple of massages around the time I injured my shoulder, maybe a month or so later. My chiropractor decided to partner with a local massage therapist, and she's really good.

I do go to the chiropractor regularly, I can tell the difference there. Since the massage is with their office, it is covered by my insurance. I haven't gone since I started training for the marathon and whatnot, but there are many days I think about it.

However... I also started acupuncture a couple of months ago, and while I haven't been in a few weeks (bad colby), it made a huge difference for me as well. I don't know whether acupuncture or massage is really a better investment of my time. Acupuncture is also most certainly not covered by my insurance, though the money isn't a huge part of the issue (I am stingy when it comes to spending money on myself, I admit, whether it's necessary or not).

Every time I go to the chiropractor I think "mmmm, massage!" but I'm not sure how to put massage, chiro, and acupuncture together with marathon training (and whatever I'm doing) to make success at reasonable time and money cost. I let my chiropractor guide me on that front, but my acupuncture and massage people are a little passive -- they don't tell me when I need it, they "suggest" it. I wish these people would communicate!!

Wink

Just recently my partner and I purchased a brand new massage table from ebay.

One of the best purchases we ever made.

Now we are real novices at all of this but with the help of a book and correct oils etc it is a great feeling.

Not suggesting we are getting rid of all the knots or doing it like a professional but the lovely relaxed feeling afterwards, must be beneficial to our well being.

Sally
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'

when I was a consultant, I'd treat periodically treat myself to massages while traveling for work as a way of making myself feel better about the otherwise not enjoyable life of the road (believe me, it was very stressful doing so much travel - even things as simple as trying to find food I would like to eat for dinner).

Anyway, that stopped when I decided I was not enjoying the life of the road enough to keep doing it.

Fast forward to a month ago and I have 2 gift certs for massages awaiting my use. I used one for a massage after my big ride in August as I figured I'd be pretty sore. Then it occured to me that getting them more regularly with all the x-r cize I plan to do (I wanna be really fit and do tri's and centuries and all that) maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing to do them periodically.

Being in a relaxed and healthful state is very important to me, and something I feel I've been putting off/neglecting for too long. Something I came to realize this summer as I had to wash away an accumulating amount of unhappiness about certain aspects of my life (mostly work related).

Bottom line is it's part of the 'new me' changes I am trying to make. I figure, in the long run the cost of the gym + once a month massage is a small price to pay preventatively for my sanity and hopefully health too... sure beats lots of stress related things I would get like migraines or PVCs.

And those are things that will keep me motivated to push myself even in between more outdoors fun things (time, daylight, and weather constrained).

I've been getting weekly massages (fairly inexpensive) for several years and although it may seem like an indulgence to some, it's a necessary healthful and relaxing therapy for me. My sessions last for 1 1/2 hours, and afterwards, I sleep all afternoon because of the deep relaxation effects of the massage. This is the only time I am able to relax so very deeply and therefore is one of the best things I can do for myself because of my history of fibromyalgia and a seemingly abnormal amount of daily muscular pain. I imagine if one were to "google" the healthful effects of massage, one would find many more that what I've mentioned here.

I'm getting one this afternoon! I don't do it nearly often enough because I'm cheap, but every time I get one, I think "Why don't I do this more often?" SadieKatie, I know what you mean about the "foo-foo" stuff (I could live the rest of my life without ever getting a manicure), but massage therapy is not at all foo-foo. I just think of it as something that athletes need, like proper rest, nutrition and training.

KB