Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

when i worked in the spa i would get one every other week. i would trade services for them (mani/pedi = 1 1/2 hr deep tissue massage, i miss those good times. need a massage bad!)

anyone in phoenix i know a great massage therapist that comes to your home and he doesn't charge as much as going to a place (if your comfortable with that.) many massage therapists will do that, come to you for a cheaper rate, its just a matter of finding them. you can always ask a massage therapist if they work for themselves also. many do besides working in a salon or office.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

Oooh, I'm jealous of the girls that can go every month.

DH treated me with a 1 hour massage gift card when I was 3 mos pregnant. I had never been before and was very self conscious about it (especially being pg). But it was great. I told DH that I had to go every month while I was pg because it was important to the development of our child

So, for those blissful months of pregnancy I enjoyed regular massages. Now that I'm doing more running and cycling, I'm going to try and get back in the habit. I'm sure we couldn't afford for me to go every month . . . but maybe every other?

And, my massage therapist teaches at a local school. I can ask her if its safe to sign up as a victim. I'll let you know what she says.

i have been a "victim" at one of the schools. it went well. my friend that is a great mt got me to go in and have a couple done because they were running low on "victims". no problems at all.

i've been on the other end with beauty school and glad i had "victims" to work on.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

Massages = Oil Change

Hi.

I love massages. I get them as a gift for myself after each triathlon. I think that as hard as you work you body massage is a non pharmaceutical way to aid recovery.
    We have to live with the ambiguity, the treacherous impurity of everything human - Hans Jonas

I don't know what others would consider to be "regular massages" but I got my first massage last weekend and have an appointment for another one this weekend. My legs were getting soooo tight from running that I was afraid I'd injure myself with bad form, or I wouldn't be able to finish a long run, or both. It helped loosen things up, but other muscles have been pulling kind of funny since then so I'm getting a second one in hopes of getting things more stable.

Some people like to get massages for a special indulgence, but for me they're more of a treatment to correct a problem. Part of that is because they're expensive and I indulge on other things (bike stuff, etc.!), but right now while I'm preparing for a half marathon, they're well worth the money.

Deb

Quote Originally Posted by Deborajen
    Some people like to get massages for a special indulgence, but for me they're more of a treatment to correct a problem.
    i use to get them done all the time to correct a problem. (pool diving injury.) now i kinda have to live with the pain till i can get into town every few months.

I treat myself to one every two weeks. I am one of those "victims" so to speak for I utilize the student clinic at a local school of massage. I find their students do an outstanding job and are well worth the $30 I pay for an hour of relaxation.

Just considering going back!

Life today is a complete rat race. Our "time saving" devices only add stress. Cells phones, email, PDA's and voice mail pull our attention away from the most precious possession - ourselves. As women, we have two jobs - work and home (just think about somebody walking into your house & remarking, "Gee, Fred sure keeps a messy home!").

I used to get regular (every two weeks) massages when I was single. Had less money than I have now, but made room in the budget. Then, life happened. Big job, marriage, commitments and the excuses. I am realizing that I'm a 7-hour clock wound up to 8 hours. And it happened so slowly that I didn't realize it.

Massage is therapeutic (do a Google search on it) but more importantly, it delivers a message to my core being: "You are worth this." I makes me focus on the moment, if only for 50 minutes.

I'm also going to get back into yoga - but that's another topic.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

massage is great

I have some issues - and I'm getting old - the issues are an old back injury and also stress sits in in my shoulder - so I go to this great massage guy. He is this bear of a man with hands to match!

He works on my hips and lower back to get me more limber there which makes riding much more comfortable and he works on my shoulders and neck so I don't have knots in my shoulders

It is wonderful. He does deep tissue massage so sometimes the next day I'm pretty sore, but after that I'm feeling might good!

Dogmama said: "As women, we have two jobs - work and home (just think about somebody walking into your house & remarking, "Gee, Fred sure keeps a messy home!")." You are so right! Unfortunately, some of us work FOR men, who just don't understand why we might need an occasional afternoon off just to clean the house or run errands. I've been telling my boss for years that I need a wife!

KB

Quote Originally Posted by kaybee
    Dogmama said: "As women, we have two jobs - work and home (just think about somebody walking into your house & remarking, "Gee, Fred sure keeps a messy home!")." You are so right! Unfortunately, some of us work FOR men, who just don't understand why we might need an occasional afternoon off just to clean the house or run errands. I've been telling my boss for years that I need a wife!
    KB
    Quick thread hijack -

When was the last time a man burned a vacation day to clean & run errands?
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I found I only needed massages when I had unresolved bike fit/biomechanical problems. I have a 3 cm Leg length discrepancy from a cycling accident 5 years ago. Until I got a corrective crank set, they helped, but didn't alleviate my pain. But, once I got my bike position corrected, I found I don't need them anymore. When I was in transition from old to new crankset, I still had a problem with a frozen SI joint, and I saw a physical therapist that performed a very painful type of masage on me in which she pressed very hard and rocked my sacrum, but in time it loosened up and I never needed a massage again. I know pro athletes get them to hasten recovery, but I think the rest of us can recover on our own. However, my physical therapist also mapped out a program of stretching and back strengthening exercises that I do regularly that keeps me loose.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    My chiropractor gives wonderful massages. I don't go see her often enough (especially with a $10 copay - sheesh!). She's always trying to get me in for what we both jokingly refer to as "Spinal Hygiene". I usually only go in when hurt or sore. Like lately - once a week for the past 2 weeks, and more on the horizon. Most of my aches and pains are centered in the upper back - all of the tension of the world I carry on my shoulders to the agony of my traps. I've taken to lying on the floor with a raquetball under my shoulder blades for deep massage to work out those trigger points when I'm at home. Just not the same. Sigh....

Re: massages

First of all, if you are doing triathalons and riding pretty regularly and pushing yourself, you are an athlete! Sometimes massage can feel like it is doing more harm than good because it is helping to break up the toxins and remove waste from the muscles. Ideally an athlete should get a massage at least once a week. More often if possible. Once you get them on a regular basis you can see how they really help. When I was training for my double century I was getting them about once a week. I would joke with my therapist that I was coming in for my new legs. It really helped.

I just wish they didn't cost so dang much! They can also be good for rehabilitating an injury. Just make sure you find someone with a sports background.