Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Update on my surgery - the Good News and the Bad

To disable ads, please log-in.

The Good News: I just met with the surgeon. I'M IN LOVE!! He's wonderful. He patiently explained everything to me and answered all my questions. We chatted for almost an hour. He's very personable (he was born just 3 dys before me - an Aquarian - no wonder he's cool!), fun and sassy. We got along great. And the biggest plus - he rides!!!! How cool is that? As a fellow cyclist he understand my need to get back to the bike as soon as possible.

The Bad News: Thankfully he was so patient. In my head this surgery was no big deal. I thought it was would be a simple "snip" and I would be out of there. Not so. The location of the tumor is a problem. It's very low in the colon very near the pubic bones so he needs to be very careful how he moves around in there. Because of the location, he needs to take out not only the mass and the surrounding colon but all the blood vessels, lymph nodes nearby plus my ovaries (which I don't use anymore anyway). For him this is all routine but he wanted me to understand its still a very serious operation with some risk. He doesn't think it will happen but there is a potential for a colostomy (please God no!). He will have to open me up so I'll have like a cesarian incision.

I was hoping to be home in a couple of days. He said hospital stay will most likely be 3 - 6 days. They can't let me go home until everything is functioning normally. After fasting 2 days before he operation and only being allowed broth and soft foods after, I should lose some weight. Guess I shouldn't complain.

Once I get home doctor wants me to take it easy. No lifting anything over 20 lbs. No physical activity although if I'm doing well, and have no problems, he will allow me to use an exercise bicycle after 4 weeks. No actual riding for at least 6 - 8 but considering it could have been worse. At least before the end of the year I'll be riding again.

Doctor won't know if I need chemo until after he removes and has the mass biopsied. I meet with an oncologist next week. Surgeon say the chemo won't be all that bad. It won't make me lose my hair or anything.

Anyway - I'm sortof up and down right now. Surgeon's office is right next to Mission Hospital (where I'll have the surgery) and the Mission Viejo Mall. Before going back to work I had to stop in the Mall. I bought myself a new blouse and dropped into See's Candies for a Bordeaux Bar. Mmmmmmmm yummy. Chocolate is my friend!
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Pam, is there a surgery date yet? And, um...I bet some of us would happily send you chocolate, and books. Would you be willing, or rather we didn't? Either way's OK.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Pam,
    The best thing is that you seem to have a doctor you can trust- that makes all the difference! I just KNOW everything will be ok once you have this removed.
    Good Healing Lucky Vibes headed your way!....
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

yeah, let us know if you would like goodies in the mail while you're in the hospital and while you're home afterwards!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Please let us know when the surgery date is and if you are comfortable with the idea, I would imagine several of us would enjoy pampering you after your surgery. You are in my continued prayers.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Surgeon's office is scheduling the surgery - most likely Sept 27, 28 or 29th. No chocolates please. Just your best wishes and prayers. I'm hoping to lose some wright out of this ordeal. I was teasing the doctor about doing alittle liposuction while he was mucking about or at least remove all the fat down there. Have books saved up and ready to go. Just looking forward to being home able to cruise TE all day!
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Best wishes. I know you have loving friends and family who will help you through this. I wish we could distill out the healing properties of chocolate, and just send that!

It *is* major surgery. One thing I suggest is looking into some pre-surgery CDs. Dr. Andrew Weil does a lot with music and healing. I know many CDs are out there to help people prepare for surgery and healing. Some of them are even for listening to during surgery. You are unconscious, but you still take in stimuli.

We'll be keeping you in our thoughts.

Lise
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Lise:

I friend of mine has those CDs and is loaning them to me. I had no idea such a thing existed. Although ont he outside I appear calm, inside I'm mush and short nerve ends. Any little thing helps!!!!
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

I am so glad to hear it! I believe it makes a lot of difference.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Hi Pam!
    Wishing you the best of luck with your surgery! Please let us know how it went and how are you doing!
    Soo glad you have a good doctor that you like and trust...so important.

Take Care!
    Karen

Pam,

my thoughts and prayers go out to you every day. I am glad you found such a great surgeon and that he has expained everything so thoroughly. Please let us know for sure what the surgery date is.

Trac'

Best of luck from me too
    I drew a terrible oncologist first off - probably a genius top of his class of course but as a person unbelievable. My next pick was a brilliant woman and a perfect hospital setting (brand new department by the sea).
    Made a ton of difference.

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

Pam,
    Best of luck to you. Sounds like a good fit with the surgeon which is awesome! You're in my prayers as well. I think TE is good post surgery food for the soul! God Bless.
    Dar

Just sending my thoughts and well wishes for an uncomplicated procedure and a speedy recovery! Take care!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X

Sending healing wishs and prayers your way.

KB